Any suggestions on handling financial abuse of a senior by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society?

by Balaamsass 95 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Celestial
    Celestial

I found this. What did her congregation say?

w62 7/15 p. 441 Consideration for Older Persons and Afflicted Ones

Today Christian overseers must be alert to the plight of older persons and afflicted ones in the congregation. Members of the congregation must likewise be awake to show kindness to those deserving Christians who are destitute, aged, widowed, blind, crippled, bedridden or perhaps confined in an institution some miles away. If you are an overseer, ask yourself: Do I keep the congregation advised as to who is sick or afflicted? Because of my regularly making such announcements has the congregation formed the good habit of telling me who is in difficulty? Have I encouraged Christians “who are rich in the present system of things . . . to work at good, to be rich in fine works, to be liberal, ready to share”? (1 Tim. 6:17, 18) Remember, Jehovah rejected “the shepherds of Israel” because, as he said: “The sickened ones you have not strengthened, and the ailing one you have not healed, and the broken one you have not bandaged, and the dispersed one you have not brought back, and the lost one you have not sought to find.” (Ezek. 34:4) Caring for God’s flock may involve material assistance as well as spiritual aid. In cases of poverty the congregation committee can determine what measures should be taken by the congregation, keeping in mind Paul’s counsel at 1 Timothy 5:3-16.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Thanks for asking Celestial, Her elders don't want to touch it. They are terrified to go up against the WTBTS. Hear no evil, see no evil.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

@ Cels, if only the W.T.S. was able to deliver on all their good advice, their followers could never get the sense of these articles, whose fault is it? The selfish "do it yourself ones", "the false brothers in the midst" or "the heartless ones who don't care?"

@Balaam: This article is good on paper, but I never saw this kind of action shown to the elderly and witnesses who served their whole life without blemish, did you? I know in my area, older ones are the "Elephant in the Room" they are easy to dimiss, "out of site, out of mind!"

I hope you are able to get your loan back, "the squeeky wheel get's the oil!" "Keep on asking and it will be given!"

" w62 7/15 p. 441 Consideration for Older Persons and Afflicted Ones

Today Christian overseers must be alert to the plight of older persons and afflicted ones in the congregation. Members of the congregation must likewise be awake to show kindness to those deserving Christians who are destitute, aged, widowed, blind, crippled, bedridden or perhaps confined in an institution some miles away. If you are an overseer, ask yourself: Do I keep the congregation advised as to who is sick or afflicted? Because of my regularly making such announcements has the congregation formed the good habit of telling me who is in difficulty? Have I encouraged Christians "who are rich in the present system of things . . . to work at good, to be rich in fine works, to be liberal, ready to share"? (1 Tim. 6:17, 18) Remember, Jehovah rejected "the shepherds of Israel" because, as he said: "The sickened ones you have not strengthened, and the ailing one you have not healed, and the broken one you have not bandaged, and the dispersed one you have not brought back, and the lost one you have not sought to find." (Ezek. 34:4) Caring for God's flock may involve material assistance as well as spiritual aid. In cases of poverty the congregation committee can determine what measures should be taken by the congregation, keeping in mind Paul's counsel at 1 Timothy 5:3-16."

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

@ Cels, if only the W.T.S. was able to deliver on all their good advice, their followers could never get the sense of these articles, whose fault is it?

@Balaam: This article is good on paper, but I never saw this kind of action shown to the elderly and witnesses who served their whole life without blemish, did you? I know in my area, older ones are the "Elephant in the Room" they are easy to dimiss, "out of site, out of mind!"

I hope you are able to get your loan back, "the squeeky wheel get's the oil!" "Keep on asking and it will be given!"

" w62 7/15 p. 441 Consideration for Older Persons and Afflicted Ones

Today Christian overseers must be alert to the plight of older persons and afflicted ones in the congregation. Members of the congregation must likewise be awake to show kindness to those deserving Christians who are destitute, aged, widowed, blind, crippled, bedridden or perhaps confined in an institution some miles away. If you are an overseer, ask yourself: Do I keep the congregation advised as to who is sick or afflicted? Because of my regularly making such announcements has the congregation formed the good habit of telling me who is in difficulty? Have I encouraged Christians "who are rich in the present system of things . . . to work at good, to be rich in fine works, to be liberal, ready to share"? (1 Tim. 6:17, 18) Remember, Jehovah rejected "the shepherds of Israel" because, as he said: "The sickened ones you have not strengthened, and the ailing one you have not healed, and the broken one you have not bandaged, and the dispersed one you have not brought back, and the lost one you have not sought to find." (Ezek. 34:4) Caring for God's flock may involve material assistance as well as spiritual aid. In cases of poverty the congregation committee can determine what measures should be taken by the congregation, keeping in mind Paul's counsel at 1 Timothy 5:3-16."

• life is to short
    life is to short

btt this is very important. Hope it works out for your mom.

LITS

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Thanks everyone,

Obviously if the Governing body actually had a fear of God, or higher moral standards like they claim she would not be in this jam. A year ago I was scratching my head about this and many other issues, untill I realized there was no difference between Watchtower publishing and the Catholic Church they berated for 100 years. It is all about money, worship and a sense of power.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Balaamsass

How are things going? Hope you are getting them worked out and will get the money. Just wanted you to know many of us on with you in spirit.

LITS

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am very curious about the convention phenomena. When I atttended the large conventions at Yankee Stadium and met my father's friends from Bethel and his not friends, such as Knorr and Franz, I felt part of something substantial. It was such a rare feeling. Yankee Stadium--can there be a more sacred space in the NY area? My mom had a rule about NO $, volunteering, resolutions about being a better Witness, until the convention "high" died down after a three months period.

KH was dinky. I am curious as to whether most of these loans are impulsive acts after a convention experience.

Assemblies never did anything to me. I would count down the days until I could leave for Bethel during conventions.

• jemba
    jemba

This thread needs to stay active until Balaam gets this sorted. This is incredibly important.

Are you happy to go to the media Balaam or are you trying not to get JCd? How does your Mum feel about all this? Does she feel betrayed, disappointed and sad or is she 'waiiting on Jeh'?

I feel sick and really sad about this, it brings tears to my eyes to see the org I once trusted with my whole heart treating generous kind people like this in their hour of need.

• jemba

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit