Any suggestions on handling financial abuse of a senior by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society?

by Balaamsass 95 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Thanks for the input everyone.

1. Publicity, the title on this thread showed on Goggle alerts today..worldwide..even at WTBTS.

2. I had a long discussion with an attorney friend. I also consulted with an attorney who represented the Catholic Church. I put a call into a larger big city firm too late for a Friday. I doubt we are the ONLY ones, the treasures office seemed too "slick" and "cagey" on the phone for this to be an isolated case. If we can find a half dozen other victims, and show a "pattern of abuse" we can get some real traction with an Attorney General and the press. Using the full power of the State in a criminal case is the way to go if at all possible. We save time and money- and hey didn't they put in print..they "never discourage JWs from reporting abuse to authorities" ? Recording is illegal, and they are very careful.

3. Yes I have a paper trail. We also have P.O.A. I also have the "Conditional Loan" pamphlet from WTBTS. We are within Statute. We have attempted to mitigate and made demand. Not sure about correct venue. I would prefer to have venue be in NY state, so the N.Y. state A.G. could pursue it criminally as Elder financial abuse, and make a arrest in N.Y. State, along with access to NYC media (Which GB member would look best in an Orange Jumpsuit? ). Perhaps a 20/20, Dateline, or 60 minutes follow-up to the child abuse specials of the 90s. I had dragged my feet on this because I knew they will fight nasty and disfellowship us. However I realize now any group that would systematically defraud elderly widows are not Christians, or even decent human beings.

4. Perhaps this bad publicity, will cause some families with seniors to forbid mom and dad to make future loans or "conditional gifts" to WTS and call-in current loans. An Elderly JW hearing about Billion Dollar real estate profits and noncollectable loans might think twice about loaning $$ to WTBS. The bad press and investigation could cost WTBS MILLIONS in donations and loans.

5. I have a favor to ask of everyone. Please keep this thread alive, talk it up with those who might have loaned $$ to WTBS and PM me any specific cases you hear about so the AG /attorneys can contact them quietly. Understand that WTBS legal also has goggle alerts and began trolling this thread early this morning. We are taking on a Battleship of $$ and attorneys, so our only chance at this is to slip underwater like a submarine until we can put an unexpected torpedo into the engine room. I will not be able to give away location, law firm, updates, or strategy beyond what I posted today. Thanks a million everyone !

Love- The ass

• clarity
    clarity

Nice going assie we will all be so very proud if you get this case off the ground!

This will knock the phony GB back on their collective asses, that's for sure!

Stay in touch.

clarity

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Balaamsass, I’m sorry about your mother’s situation. How does your mother feel about the WTBTS now?

Have you contacted Barbara Anderson at www.watchtowerdocuments.com or on JWN? Maybe Barbara could help you publicize th is issue to locate other JWs or former JWs with similar experiences. Also, if you have a Facebook account, maybe writing about your experiences on Facebook, might help to publicize your mother's situation.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Diest
    Diest

I might be naive, but this feels like something that could go big...If 6 or so of these cases can be found, it could really put a dent in them when they are having a hard time. Every dollar they spend defending this is a dollar that does not go to conversion and retention of members.

I will be following this often, please post as many updates as fiesable.

• Diest
    Diest

PS Recording is only illegal in some states. If you call them from single party consent states, you can record away so long as one party(you) knows about it.

Twelve states currently require that all parties consent to the recording. These states are:

• California [11]
    • Connecticut
    • Florida [12]
    • Illinois (debated, see next section)
    • Maryland [13]
    • Massachusetts
    • Michigan
    • Montana [14] (requires notification only)
    • Nevada
    • New Hampshire
    • Pennsylvania [15]
    • Washington [16]
    One-party notification states

All other states (and the District of Columbia) not listed above require only that one party consent. Michigan's eavesdropping statute seems to put it into the two-party category, but the courts have ruled that in Michigan, a party may record their own conversation without the consent of any other parties but cannot grant that right to a third party. [17] There are certain exceptions to these rules. See full rules here.

Illinois courts have ruled that "eavesdropping" only applies to conversations that the party otherwise would not have been able to hear, thereby effectively making it a one-party consent state. [18] [19] However, there still appears to be confusion [20] and debate [21] over the law.

If a caller in a one-party state records a conversation with someone in a two-party state that caller is subject to the stricter of the laws and must have consent from all callers (Cf. Kearney v. Salomon Smith Barney Inc., 39 Cal. 4th 95 (2006)).

• Roski
  • tiki
    tiki

this is so outrageous - makes them look like colossal crooks! be sure to document each and every detail and take it to the limit. it's a pain, time-consuming and frustrating, but this is the sort of thing that the accounting profession is required to follow protocol. Their financial dealings should be transparent and all donations and loans fall under strict parameters. they need to abide by proper procedures - honesty and ethics.

isn't it amazing that a group who so adamantly declare their self-worth in terms of honorable conduct are in reality the exact opposite. reminds me of the scripture that says something to the effect that let a strangers lips praise you, not you praise yourself.

i do think that enlisting legal assistance is a very good idea.

• Deceived
    Deceived

Amazing it is showing up on Google. YAY!!!

This is totally AWFUL!! At one time I would have been shocked but now not so much but I am disgusted and further affirmation as to the greed and lack of love of the WT.
    It happened tp me in a round a out way too. I thought at the time it was an isolated thng but now I see it's a common thing. They are being exposed more and more and thankfully their credibility is crumbling more and more.

I wish that I knew about exjw forums 7 years ago when it happened to me when the Elders told my Mom she should change her will because her Grandchildren didn't love Jehovah. She phoned me and told me that she had changed it but I had NO idea it involved $100,000. She had brain cancer and was confused. I thought it was an isolated incident and left it as I was afraid to fight them.

• Deceived
    Deceived

This was brought to the attention of another exJW website yesterday and one of the ladies there asked us to give you this Link as she isn't a member here.

NY State office for the Aging

http://www.ltcombudsman.ny.gov/

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I'm uncertain of the intricacies of NY state law but I routinely recorded phone calls when living and working in NY. The consent of only one party was needed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit