Any suggestions on handling financial abuse of a senior by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society?

by Balaamsass 95 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Does anyone here have any suggestions on handling financial abuse of a senior by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society? Mom gave a LOT of money to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society over her lifetime- (6 figures). After she ran low on funds she made a 5 figure "Conditional Loan" to WTB&TS. Now She is in need of medical treatment, broke, and has made three written registered formal requests for her funds during the last year. She has been stonewalled. I have been stonewalled. I have the papers, I sent them copies, they will not respond in writting. I finally got a call back and they say "the loan was forgiven" but they refuse to provide any documentation, or say when it occured!

Should I use my states Attorney General or New York's Attorney General to lodge a complaint of abuse? If I hire an attorney to collect, fees will come out of the collection.

Has anyone had experience with them while attempting to collect for an elderly widowed JW ? Talk about defrauding the widow!!

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Go to the press?

• Scott77
    Scott77

Talk to the new york times newspaper.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Hi Balaam'sA, some time has pasted, where you been?

1. You need to conduct your local "Elder Abuse" agency, this will get things moving and add some thinking humans along side you.

2. Call the Police, if you have not done that, make a report, even if they blow you off, there is a record of making a report.

3. Your local District Attorney's Office coudl provide you with some insights, another angle you have not thought of.

4. Did you contact some legal help, either paid or firms working pro-bono?

5. State Attorney General's office and contact your B.B.B.

Is there a "Mandatory Arbitration Clause" your Mother signed? If you are not geting any money from the Organization, you said the loan was forgiven, you have no choice but th hire legal help. No choice is provided from what you told us.

Post the documents online (Blacking out your name, Mom's name, address,phone...... and show everyone the fangs behind the Viper) Just and idea, you can ponder exposing them through this manner.

Did I mention, call "Elder Abuse" and tell them everything you told us! I wish you success, the Society has the money, why are they holding onto this money at 0 percent? They are not going to make anything off her donation (Interest Wise), they should give the money back to their "Sheep", who needs help now!

• cedars
    cedars

Any of the above suggestions would help to get things moving - but whatever you do, don't let things drop.

The Society are so desperate right now, they will do anything they can to keep hold of that money, which isn't theirs.

If you can get this some media attention, then go for it. I really feel sorry for your mother.

Cedars

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Hi Cedars, how broke is the Organization? What are you hearing?

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Thank you Cedars, I will re-read your articles, good points made! You made the same logical conclusion as the author of the article, cool but logical!

• cedars
    cedars

Hi Bubblegum, I'm only hearing what everyone else is hearing, and putting 2 and 2 together!

I don't know whether you've read them, but I've written two articles detailing the growing evidence that the Society is running out of cash, and fast.

Here are the links:

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/branch-closures-and-fire-sales-a-growing-trend-for-the-society

http://jwsurvey.org/general-information/what-does-the-future-hold-for-the-watch-tower-society

And only recently on this forum I discovered that all of this was "prophesied" in the book Apocalypse Delayed by James Penton, when he said:

"... as the witnesses expand in the so-called developing world at a much faster rate than in the industrialized nations, the Watchtower may well begin to experience financial problems. Most of the money it uses to finance it's publishing empire comes from the developed world, and if growth in Europe and North America continues to slow, as it has in recent years, the society will have to press harder to obtain the funding necessary to carry on it's activities."

I made the exact same points in my blog articles, without even knowing that the above had been written. Weird huh?!

Cedars

• nugget
    nugget

The society has liquidated a lot of assets recently they are not poor. The legal route coupled with media attention is the best way to go. Try to see if a firm will take on your case pro bono or they will take the fees from the society. However be aware the society plays dirty and uses every legal trick to stop complainants getting legal support.

Do you have any paperwork for this conditional loan? If there is paperwork then a lawyer can write to them quoting articles in the document in outlining legal action. He would also be able to advise why there is a reason why they do not feel that they need to return the money.

I would also take it up with your local political representative make a fuss on three fronts. They are relying on your mother giving up anf going away. On no account should you do that. To keep hold of her money is immoral.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

They must have some clause that allows them to get away with this conduct(Deep in the fine print!), they would not gamble if they were unsure of this outcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit