Christian Apologists - Please Watch This and Tell Us Why it is wrong?

by cantleave 834 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Do we really need to go down the route of questioning sabs sanity? and making 'mental problem' comments?

Well I leave for the day, and oh my math, this is still going on. First let me say, ST, I was not making this comment to be mean or to suggest that belief and mental illness are linked. I actually started getting very uncomfortable with the conversation, and thought a lot about it before just saying it. When he reasoned that I had somehow tricked him into insulting me so that I could later use it against him----along with many other comments along those lines, I just got a bad feeling. If he is fine, then I'm happy---call me an asshole. But if I were speaking to anyone else, and they started saying things like this, I would definitely ask them if they were okay. I think other posters picked up on the same vibe, so I don't think I was completely coming in from left field. I don't know Sab---but now I know he is bipolar. I am familiar with this illness, and sometimes in the midst of it, things get wonky but the sufferer doesn't always recognize it until someone says something.

It may not be that at all, but I felt it was worth getting called out to mention it. I never questioned his sanity either.

That said---

Let the battle continue.

NC

• sabastious
    sabastious

Symptoms of my illness have not been showcased in this thread. I'll say no more on the matter.

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

You don't have to Sab. I wasn't being mean, but was drawing away from the conversation because I was worried. But as I said, if everything is okay, then just carry on!

Where were we? Am I still evil? LOL

NC

• still thinking
    still thinking

New chapter...I could see where your comments were coming from...even if I question the need. But it wasn't just your commets I was referring to.

I fail to see how you can think a church giving spiritual councelling is beneficial for a person. Do you think the churches are correct in their spiritual beliefs?....still thinking

how to answer the question without answering it...

and those who desire spiritual counselling or spiritual advice in their lives might choose go to a spiritual counselling....tec

I am well aware of why someone might do that...what I asked was do YOU think churches giving spiritual counceling is beneficial? And do YOU think the churches are correct in their spiritual belief.

The reson I ask this is because you seem to think churches spiritual councelling is beneficial....or am I wrong?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Alcoholism is a disease. I would not recommend that someone with a disease such as that go for spiritual counselling.

Their priest thought it was a great idea..he took them through couples councelling etc...you'd think with gods help he WOULD be able to help wouldn't you?

Obviously not....tell me again how churches benefit people...surely disease or no disease God could help. Especially when called upon by one of his own workers....he has the power to bless bread and wine and turn it into Jesus body & blood...but no power to heal the diseased. Pretty useless IMO.

• still thinking
    still thinking

sab...that was an interesting post...but I'm not sure how your reasoning fits into christianity...unless we all create our own type of christianity and there is more than one truth. And if we do that, I fail to see how christ is truth.

Are you sure your spirituality has anything to do with Jesus/Christ?

• still thinking
    still thinking

I do not deny that religious charities do a lot of good work in the community...And I have no doubt that if churches no longer existed All the people who do the charity work would continue to do it...with or without the church. It is not the church that does the work...it is the people. Governments gives a percentage of money to these charities, people like you and I donate, people donate time (not just christians). Churches thrive on the backs of volunteers and donations.

Good people will always be good people....with or without religion and churches.

• tec
    tec

Still, I did not answer your question because it did not relate to what I actually said. Or if it did, then I did not understand how it did.

And yes, I think church counselling on spiritual matters can be beneficial to the person. It can also not be beneficial. All depends. As for do I think churches are correct in their spiritual belief... which ones? The easiest answer would be correct in some things, and incorrect in other things. Same as most everyone else. But all are correct in their acts of charity and service and help.

Peace,

tammy

• tootired2care
    tootired2care
    Most Christian's don't get Christianity, at least in my experience. Mainly because they have their nose in the Bible and not on their own lives which is what Christ wanted.

Sab - You're probably correct about that, but to be sure who is to say for sure?

Christians are told to follow follow in Christs footsteps and immitate him. Christ set a pattern of usage for what is written; he spent a great deal of time studying the scrolls as a child, and stated repeatedly "it is written". So naturally you can't really blame followers for trying to follow suit can you?

The simple fact is there are many different interpretations out there today, that no one can authoritatively say for sure who is interpreting things to extreme or too lax. To me it's a big problem when you get these power brokers who have this idea that the U.S. needs to be more theocratic to have gods blessing on the country, because they interpreted the texts in a more extreme way. That to me is scary talk, and is seed of doing some bad in the name of god, just like the crusades. I think it would be refreshing for Christians to own up to the fact that the God of the bible really doesn't take sides with one country post Jesus, and keep these religious ideas out of the secular, political, public educational affairs, and confined to centers of worship and living rooms.

I agree with you about the Muslim terrorist threat though, and I feel that all theocratic governments are a threat to freedom. Any attack on the idea of freedom should be dealt with most severly, and thanks to science we have a military that can do just that.

My overall point is this, we really don't need to have a country that is blessed by god, and run by the rules of Jesus that someone thinks they understand, we'll do just fine with freedom, and freedom will afford anyone to continue to practice their faith however they choose to; or not. I think that is a pretty good deal for everyone. How about you?

• still thinking
    still thinking
    And yes, I think church counselling on spiritual matters can be beneficial to the person. It can also not be beneficial. All depends...tec

a definate...may be or may be not......glad we cleared that up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit