Is worship deserved?

by goddidit 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• goddidit
    goddidit

Anyone know the JW explanation for this:

So supposedly, god exists outside of space and time. Or, god wasn't created and didn't create itself, it just always was, or something...

Ignoring any logical issues for a moment, if this is true, why does it deserve any worship for this?

Also, why would it *want* any worship, unless it was a tyrannical boss with a huge ego?

• N.drew
    N.drew

Is it more believable that many billions of physical things always existed or that one spiritual someone always existed?

Worship means pay close attention to. It is my opinion that Christ who is the image of The Living God knows perfectly well what the "way" to "life" is so for me to believe God deserves worship is the right way to go. If I persist in worshipping God I will find The Life!

• Nambo
    Nambo

Maybe worship is another word for Love, and what Father doesnt want his children to Love him?

Parents certainly want obedience from thier children, for thier childrens safely and future happiness, a good read of the Bible reveals that obedience to God is a primary aspect of worship, and then Jesus revealed the most important aspect, to Love God.

So, in summery, worship means to Love our Father and do what he says, a bit like what occurs in the average happy and balanced family unit then really.

Thats my explaination by the way, cannot remember the official JW line, probably more along the lines of your last sentance.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    Anyone know the JW explanation for this:
    So supposedly, god exists outside of space and time. Or, god wasn't created and didn't create itself, it just always was, or something...
    Ignoring any logical issues for a moment, if this is true, why does it deserve any worship for this?
    Also, why would it *want* any worship, unless it was a tyrannical boss with a huge ego?

I think this is a really good question.

It seems to me that the God of the Jehovah's Witnesses, i.e. the way they describe the God they believe in, not only wants worship, he demands it! He sets "righteous standards" before them in the Bible and is willing to eradicate those who don't follow them.

Such a god reminds me of the juvenile god in an old episode of the first series of Star Trek. I've been trying to find it on Youtube but can't seem to put in the right search parameters. Anyway, they find this being who treats them just like the powerful God of the Old Testament. He gets petulant and angry and very destructive, and then his parents come along and take him home to be a good boy.(Anyone know the episode and where to find a clip from it?)

I don't believe in a god like that. Any Creator Being must surely be above all the pettiness of human beings. The JW's God behaves like a spoiled toddler.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Following the logic that God should be worshipped for creating humans, maybe I should ask my son to worship me since i was involved in his creation.

• Nambo
    Nambo

JWF, the Startrek episode you seek is called "Who Mourns for Adonais", one of the first epidosodes followed a similar theme where two or the crew become gods and is called "where no man has gone before".

As for your son "Worshipping" you, read my earlier post.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Excellent opening post. When we are free to question everything, we are able to move past our inherited superstitions and worship thoughts.

• glenster
    glenster

Logical issues: "How to Think About God," Mortimer Adler, faith
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortimer_J._Adler#God
    http://www.amazon.com/How-Think-About-God-20th-Century/dp/0020160224

Worship--worthiness, worth-ship
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worship

Why would God want worship--recognition in relationship

JWs leaders' explanation:
    http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/article_15.htm

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Hey, well done, Nambo!

http://youtu.be/oVGK3fuD5Kw?t=2m19s

Have I got that video link right?

Actually, that wasn't quite the one I had in mind...maybe it was a Jean Luc Picard one...but this one makes the point perfectly well, complete with the lass in the pretty pink frock! And it's a good early episode. True James T Kirk stuff!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Worship to the following beings is NOT deserved: Jehovah (especially), Jesus, the Unholy Spirit, the Unholy LIE-ble, any of the angels of Jehovah.

Worship to the following beings IS deserved and beneficial to mankind: Satan, any of the demons (such as Baal, Beelzebub, Astaroth, Thoth, and any other demon that helps you out), the sun. Note that these beings do not demand worship--however, worship to the demons and Satan actually shows you how to awaken your own senses. Ever wonder how the ancient people possessed such psychic power despite being primitive and lacking science and technology?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit