More Watch Tower Cost Cutting!!! Smaller Magazine to be Announced

by cantleave 230 Replies latest members private

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

back and front cover.

Brothers to insert the following between:

Photocopies of WT 01/08/87 paras 1 - 4 WT 12/01/ paras 6,7.

Please correct WT 08/01/88 "jehovah" should be "jesus". "Organisation" with "bullshit""

The rest of the magazine should be printed on the brothers own stationary, from issues not predating 2003."

Please remember photgraphs are copyright, and the appropriate fee should be paid to the Society for the privilege of reproducing our materials.

HB

HB

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

You can hear them all applauding after this announcement is made, as if this move is proof that Jehovah's progressive Organization is moving ahead in the "stream of time". If they'd have done this in the pre 1975 days, they'd have claimed that smaller magazines are easier to smuggle during a ban on the preaching work which was sure to happen any day.

Since they changed the meaning of the term "Generation" and extended it's length by decades, they've gotten rid of a meeting when the bible says to gather together all the more so as you behold the day drawing near. They've cut the printing of the magazines to once a month, reduced the number pages of"life giving waters" in the magazines, reduced the hours for pioneers, closed a bunch of branch offices, layed off a thousand or so Bethelites and invested millions in building a new facality in upstate New York.

What message is this sending about how close they really think the end is ? Sounds like they are hunkering down for the long haul and a rockey ride as technology take a bite out of their standard operating procedures.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I haven't read all the posts CantLeave but yr topic reminded me of Rupert Murdoch lol...so now the WTBS is going from broadsheets to tabloids then?

Loz x

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

if humanity did start colonies on the moon or beyond i wonder how they would reach them with the "good news"? ah i have it...wait for it...phone witnessing.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    But doesn't look so good on the FS report. Magazine placements halved in an instant!
    George

Don't worry...Knowing them if the pubic (sic) WT and Awake were combined they would still count them as "two placements"

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Because the "public" Watchtower and the single issue of Awake! have many similar articles, maybe this is the time that they should just drop one or the other. Let them keep the "study" Watchtower for JWs only, and the Awake! just for the public.

Originally Pastor Russell and the early board of the Watchtower prohibited the publishing of any other magazine besides the Watchtower. Judge Rutherford wanted to publish another magazine to increase the organization's readership, but because of the Watchtower bylaws he couldn't do it in a straightforward manner. So he assigned Clayton Woodworth to be the primary editor and writer of "Golden Age." GA was even published offsite for several years to keep the appearance of total separation. When they dropped Golden Age and replaced it with Consolation they brought the printing operation back into the Brooklyn printing plants. Consolation was discontinued during World War 2 and a few months later was replaced by the Awake! magazine.

Awake! (and its predecessors) have always been like the ugly stepsister to the Watchtower. They could never decide how to use the magazine to present the current news with a theological twist. While discouraging education, the Internet, and modern science in the Watchtower, the Awake! was forced to present its subjects in a way that used science, history, and even the Internet to favorably support its stories and articles. But it was always awkward in the way that they had to find a way to end every article with some sort of scriptural tie in or moral.

I loved the Awake! when I was a kid, even more than the Watchtower. But now I find it mundane, boring, and written on a level that would embarrass some of the magazines used in elementary schools (remember "Weekly Reader" and "Scholastic" magazine?)

Whenever I see "Are you as smart as a fifth-grader" (or whatever it's called) on TV, I think of the educational level of adult readers of the Awake! Most could not answer basic history or science questions that most elementary school kids could handle easily. I see absolutely no value at all for the Awake! to continue in any form.

JV

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

It's not a joke! We already have the letter in portuguese!

http://torrentower.blogs.sapo.pt/6912.html

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well, it makes sense, with this day and age, and the recycling of paper to shrink the size.

The Readers Digest is a good example of a smaller publication, and yet can maintain it's readership.

Maybe, the mags can be downloaded to Ipads, or smaller electronic book readers. We have some in our congregation that have their WT on a IPAD.

Newspapers are also shrinking from city to city. It's becoming the trend.

The secret thing is a control thing.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

In the letter they say they´ll unite the three WT sites into just one (jw.org) in 2012/jun.

Also says the GB have noticed the great tendency to people access the internet, and they claim more than 400.000 views per day in the JW sites.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Here is a rough translation (Google) from the Portugese:

ALL CONGREGATIONS Ref: Announcement to be read after the Watchtower study on the week of April 2, 2012 Dear Brother: The Jehovah's organization has effectively used the Internet to spread the good news in all parts of the earth. See the impact that our sites are having. In one day normal, 400 000 people, both Jehovah's Witnesses and others, access the websites watchtower.org, and jw.org jw-media.org. They read our online publications in more than 430 languages. Every day, they fall almost half a million audio files, text or videos in sign language. Every day, one hundred requests for Bible studies are received. To improve the effectiveness of our use of the Internet, the Governing Body decided to join the three sites in only one, named jw.org. This site will be completely revamped. He is attractive and easy both to navigate through a computer and a portable device. The launch of the redesigned site jw.org is scheduled for early June 2012. He will present interesting information about our work of preaching, subsidiaries, Halls United and conferences. A news section provides current information about events that affect the people of God throughout the world. Sections chosen our magazines can be presented more efficiently through the Internet will now be published only in jw.org site. They include: "To Youth," "My First Bible Lessons" and the report on the graduation of Gilead edition to the public of The Watchtower and "To consider in Family "and" Young People Ask "from Awake. Furthermore, a series of articles on-line only available on the site will provide clear and concise answers to questions about the Bible and Jehovah's Witnesses. The Governing Body noted the growing trend of people using the internet search for materials of reading and, therefore, carefully examined the effect that trend is having on the printing industry and we can get equipment for paper and printing. Because of these changes, from the numbers in January 2013, Awake! edition to the public and the Watchtower will be reduced from 32 to 16 pages. These magazines we distribute to the public will continue to provide a rich supply of information enlightening to attract people to the truth of God's Word. Since the contents of each number will be reduced, this will allow more teams able to translate the translation all numbers of Awake! and issue to the public of The Watchtower, thus increasing the number of languages ??which are available. This issue of The Watchtower study will continue having 32 pages. The Governing Body is confident that these adjustments will help us achieve even more people with the saving message of the Bible as it continues to provide a rich supply of spiritual food to world brotherhood. His brothers, Association ¸ ~ TO WATCHTOWER A B ' IBLIAS AND TREATED PHONE: (15) 3246-9000 (15) 3322-9000 SP-141 highway, km 43, Ces ' ario Lange, SP, Brazil Correspondence ence: PO Box 92, Tatu ' i, SP, 18270-970, Brasilc: Superintendents travelers
    P.S. the coordinator of the body of elders :

The elders must maintain absolute confidentiality on this matter until the license has been
    read in his congregation . This letter should be read to the congregation after the study
    The Watchtower in the week of April 2, 2012 . Is it the same day the special address . in
    most congregations , this will occur on Sunday, April 8, 2012 . The speaker of the
    special speech should be invited to read this letter for assistance, if it is
    available for this. Then, this letter should be on the bulletin board for four weeks.
    The reading of this letter does not replace the ad soon to be read by
    president immediately after the special address as instructed in the letter a . °
    February 2012 to all bodies of elders . Thus, the President will read the announcement soon
    after the speech , and especially before the Watchtower Study . After the study of The Watchtower ,
    the speaker 's special speech read this letter and then announce the final song .

JV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit