IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

I thought that was a beautiful post, Nancy, and describes knowing God very well. This is very true:

So what I mean is knowing God is different than knowing God is real.

Cofty:

Yes but why ascribe a supernatural source for your inner voice?

I am not. I just wanted to know if you could hear yours, so you could understand that a person can hear something without it being physically in their ears.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Tec - So in fact there is no voice as such? We have agreed on that yes? If we did an MRI scan the part of your brain that deciphers signals from your aural nerve would not be involved. Is that fair comment?

If its a voice from an external source there will be an accent, a volume and inflection or tone that you will be able to describe in detail.

If its more than an internal converstation with yourself you would be able to ask questions verbally and recieve information you could not possibly have known in specific words you could write down verbatim.

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Hi,

I think that fundamentalist christrians are great and warm and fuzzy in their knowledge of God, however they are extremly naive in the view of reality, the Creator could have sorted this mess out a long time ago without all the suffering that the human family has been exposed to, without all this crap happening!

It's a shame that an all knowing, all caring father would do this to his children!!!!!

Regards,

Star Tiger

• N.drew
    N.drew
    Do you know how incredibly egostistical it sounds for somebody to claim they know the thoughts of the almighty?

Yes I guess so.

But "The thoughts" implies all God's thoughts are known by me.

I can know what my husband wants and likes without him ever telling me.

To know what someone likes and wants does not equal, in anyone's mind but your own, what someone thinks. Please stop making me look bad.

• cofty
    cofty

Please stop making me look bad - N.Drew

Its impossible to hold a sensible discussion with you if you are going to take everything personally.

With all this communication with the almighty going on every day why does he never convey a single word that demonstrates supernatural knowledge? There is never anything useful and nothing we could confirm objectively.

How would people deluding themselves into thinking they are hearing god be any different from this?

• sizemik
    sizemik
    What is the mathematical probability of all the pieces creating themselves individually & then combining on their own to create a watch. Reasonable anwer & one backed by the science of mathematical probability would be zero. Apply that to a single cell. The odds just grow.

@mrquirk . . . how do the odds get worse than zero?

Forget science and common sense . . . a crash course in logical fallacy would be a lot more productive . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

Pain and suffering are good for the soul and what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Acceptance of WHAT IS IS, also helps

• sizemik
    sizemik

If comparing cells to a watch were valid . . .

How come my 17thC clock still keeps perfect time . . . and yet all the cells that created it disappeared over 300 years ago?

• N.drew
    N.drew
    How would people deluding themselves into thinking they are hearing god be any different from this?

I don't understand the last part of this sentence.

Does it mean the world would be the same if nobody thought they could "hear"?

• cofty
    cofty

N.Drew - I'm saying that if people's inner voices were of divine origin even though no voice was ever heard and the voices never said anything that would betray supernatural origins this would be identical to people deluding themselves into believing that their inner voices were of god.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit