It makes no sense whatsoever that a" CREATOR" would only communicate with a minority of the population then put the onus on them to convey this life saving message to the WHOLE wide world

by smiddy 182 Replies latest jw experiences

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I believe you are speaking of blind faith here.

True, but that's why I specified the religious variety of faith.

But there is a distinction between faith and blind faith.

Which kind did Abraham have? Which kind did the men responsible for 9/11 have?

• tec
    tec

Abraham had faith, and it was not blind, seeing as he questioned God. His faith had also been proven to be justified.

I don't know what the men from 9/11 had faith in. The wrong person I suspect, unfortunately.

But if that was the distinction you make between faith(Abraham) and blind faith (911 bombers), then I understand.

Peace,

Tammy

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Abraham had faith, and it was not blind, seeing as he questioned God.

In which account of Abe killing Isaac does that happen?

His faith had also been proven to be justified.

By the same book that trumped up the story of Abraham and Isaac in the first place?

• dog is god
    dog is god

I do think that people believe that god killing his own son to ransome humankind is idiotic and pagan based. Faith=imagination.

• tec
    tec

SBC - so is that not the point you were trying to make, which I assumed?

In which account of Abe killing Isaac does that happen?

None.

He questioned God when it came to Sodom. He questioned with respect, but he did still question what he thought might be an act of injustice.

By the same book that trumped up the story of Abraham and Isaac in the first place?

By God keeping His promise to Abraham regarding having Isaac in the first place. Regardless of how the 'intended' sacrifice of Isaac went down, Abraham had been promised that a great nation would grow from Isaac. He might not have understood the reason behind being asked to sacrifice Isaac, but He did know that He could trust the promises given him by God. So that Isaac would not die. He even said that God, Himself, would provide the sacrifice. Most people think that is in comfort to his son, but perhaps he said it because he had faith in it to be true?

Peace,

Tammy

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

TEC!! You're doing it again, honey...picking and choosing what 'really happened' in the bible vs what 'must be allegory'.

• tec
    tec

With what Poopsie? Everything I wrote above is in the bible.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I know that it's in the bible...just like Adam & Eve and the talking snake are in the bible and Jonah swallowed by the big fish is in the bible and Balaam's talking donkey is in the bible etc etc. You've said in the past that you don't believe that everything in the bible is inspired scripture and that a lot of stories in there are allegorical. So is the Abraham being told to kill his son story part of inspired scripture or is it an allegory? And how do you tell the difference?

*this may seem sarcastic but I promise it's a genuine question coming from a place of sincere bafflement*

*with love* :)

• tec
    tec

SBC asked me about Abraham. That's the only reason we're on this topic. Yes, I think it is a real story (though the details are probably not all there)... though that is beside the point to the question asked.

In another place, I mentioned that I don't always know if something is allegory or literal. Often, actually. But for practical purposes, I take the meaning behind the story and apply that, rather than get hung up on whether something is allegorical or literal. The only way that I KNOW for certain is if I "hear" the truth on the matter from the source. Otherwise, I am just reasoning as to what I think about it. But my thoughts can be wrong, so I am also open to other pov's as well.

(You have only two categories... inspiried scripture or allegory... and I think that is a mistake. Something can be written and trustworthy without being inspired scripture.)

Peace,

Tammy (also with love )

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I feel such love and affection towards you, Tec. You really are a gem.

(can you please use your influence with Jesus to whisper in my ear when I'm about to buy the wrong HDMI cable next time please?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit