Do You Believe Abortion Is Wrong? Should It Be Against The Law?

by minimus 140 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Eggs and sperm are nothing more than eggs and sperm... if they do not come together, no life is created. If anything could be called 'potential' life, then I suppose eggs and sperm are it. But seperate, they do not grow into a unique individual. They do nothing more than remain eggs and sperm.

I am speaking about conception. I am trying to see if someone has another point from conception to delivery that shows when non-life becomes life?

Peace,

Tammy

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's all life. The sperm is alive, the egg is alive, the ovum is alive. But an egg and a sperm coming together does not guarantee that that life will continue. It's not black and white, it's a whole lot of gray.

• tec
    tec

Lets put it this way. At what point does something become a human being. Non-human to human. That is what I am getting at. What is the crossing over point from non human to human?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's all human.

I like going back and forth with you Tec. It's nice to converse with a person who's so respectful.

• tec
    tec

Thanks Mrs. Jones. Likewise.

Anger and disrespect on this issue totally gets in the way of being able to actually discuss this issue, and that is unfortunate, because I think it is one issue that should be discussed.

• designs
    designs

Eggs and sperm- now if you are Buddhist they are special.

• designs
    designs

For the Christians here do you believe the soul or spirit starts in heaven with God and the human is a temporary host.

• tec
    tec

Designs, I think the body is the vessel that houses the spirit, and that it is the spirit that matters. But I don't know about a time the spirit enters the body, or perhaps the body just forms around the spirit. I do not think there is a cache of souls that enter into bodies upon (whatever point people think - be that conception, birth, whatever)

That is another discussion, though an interesting one. Breath might play a role in determining that. Adam was fully formed, but he did not have life until God breathed life into him. (However, I'm not really thinking that this represents physical breath, but rather the spirit giving life)

Peace,

Tammy

• designs
    designs

Hi Tammy,

Not that we ever want to become cavilier or casual about abortion but if a person viewed the soul as distinct and transitory with respect to a human body I wonder how that would change the dialogue in this country. Does a christian feel the fetus is lost forever if aborted or will that soul get another chance at human life in the way a Buddhist would see it.

• tec
    tec

I asked myself that same question, Designs. I don't know enough to form a single opinion. We're missing something in what we know.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit