Do You Believe Abortion Is Wrong? Should It Be Against The Law?

by minimus 140 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

This is inconclusive (at least regarding the birth control pill). There is no scientific evidence that it does prevent implantation of a fertilized egg (if I have been reading all of these information threads on the pill correctly). The scientific community only has to admit that it is possible, in the face of no evidence.

Tec---you are looking for an answer that is unavailable. But let me put it to you this way. YOU say there is no scientific evidence that these methods prevent implantation. WE DO know that it is a strong possiblity---because that is how they can work. But science has not proven it yet, and therefore, perhaps you are comfortable taking that risk. Okay, fair enough.

Science also has not pinpointed the moment of life. It is a philisophical question---and each individual's answer will be swayed by their world view. Since science cannot answer such a question, some people have decided that the risk is worth the procedure. You don't believe that fertilized eggs are being expelled after implantation---they don't believe they are ending a life they are not convinced has started.

As I have said before---your understanding of the bigger question is just as valid as someone else's. That's what choice is all about. Some people would not use iud's or hormonal birth control, because even the chance they could interupt the process is wrong to them. Others are not convinced the same----and neither are absolutely right or wrong----it has not been answered.

So I understand your question. There simply is not an answer. Not without bringing in individual philosophies----and those differ a great deal.

NC

• cofty
    cofty
    This is inconclusive (at least regarding the birth control pill). There is no scientific evidence that it does prevent implantation of a fertilized egg (if I have been reading all of these information threads on the pill correctly). The scientific community only has to admit that it is possible, in the face of no evidence.

There is no mystery at all about how the mini-pill works. I typed "how does the mini-pill work" into google and here are excerpts from the first five results. Click on the headers for the sources. Exactly the same could be said for the IUD.

Many people who object to abortion on moral grounds becasue they believe life begins at conception have in fact aborted a significant number of viable zygotes during their life.

How does the mini-Pill work?

The POP stops you from getting pregnant by doing three things:

• it thickens the secretions round the neck of your womb – this makes it very difficult for the sperm to get through
    • it makes the lining of the womb thinner and so less 'receptive' to ova (eggs)
    • some of the time, it stops you ovulating (releasing an egg). The latest mini-Pills (Cerazette) does this most of the time, which may make you even less likely to get pregnant.

How does it work?

Cerazette tablets are a type of hormonal contraceptive commonly known as the 'mini pill' or progestogen-only pill (POP). They contain the active ingredient desogestrel, which is a synthetic progestogen, similar to the natural progestogens produced by the body.

Desogestrel works as a contraceptive primarily by preventing the release of an egg from the ovary (ovulation). It also acts by increasing the thickness of the natural mucus at the neck of the womb, making it more difficult for sperm to cross from the vagina into the womb. By preventing sperm entering the womb, successful fertilisation of any eggs that are released is less likely.

Desogestrel also acts to change the quality of the womb lining (endometrium). This prevents the successful implantation of any fertilised eggs onto the wall of the womb, thereby preventing pregnancy.

How does the Mini Pill work?

The mini pill prevents pregnancy in several ways. Their main action is to cause thickening of the cervical mucus; this blocks sperm from entering the cervix to reach and fertilize the egg. They can also prevent ovulation, which is the release of eggs from the ovaries as well as cause changes in the lining of the uterus preventing implantation of the pregnancy.

Mini-Pill

The mini-pill does not always stop the ovary releasing an egg each month (ovulation). It thickens the fluid (mucus) at the neck of the womb (cervix) which makes it hard for sperm to travel through. The mini-pill also makes the lining of the womb less likely to accept a fertilised egg.

How Does the Birth Control Pill Work?

The progestin in the Minipill may prevent ovulation; however it may not do this reliably each month. The Minipill works further by thickening the mucous around the cervix and preventing sperm from entering the uterus. The lining of the uterus is also affected in a way that prevents fertilized eggs from implanting into the wall of the uterus.

• tec
    tec

YOU say there is no scientific evidence that these methods prevent implantation. WE DO know that it is a strong possiblity---because that is how they can work. But science has not proven it yet, and therefore, perhaps you are comfortable taking that risk.

I didn't say that... someone else posted information about it from one of the other birth control/abortion threads. I'll have to go look for it. However, that there is that risk being presented... I am NOT comfortable taking the risk, and would not use the pill now. (tubes tied/not an issue for me anymore) Had I known before, then I still don't think I would have used it if someone had told me that this was a risk. I can't know for sure because it has been a long time since I needed birth control.

But I agree with you that this is an unresolved issue, with various belief and opinion influencing decisions. I do think people (humanity) are good at putting something into question, even if only to themselves, when they don't want to face the truth of a matter. But regardless of my personal views, each woman has to make that decision herself.

Peace,

tammy

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"Many people who object to abortion on moral grounds becasue they believe life begins at conception have in fact aborted a significant number of viable zygotes during their life."

I have to point out it can happen with or without the help of the pill.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes of course I agree mrsjones. About 50% of fertilised eggs don't make it to a stage where the woman even knows she is pregnant. I am just pointing out the confused thinking on the part of many who claim to have strong views about the moment of conception.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Would a miscarrige be considered an abortion?

• cofty
    cofty

Would a miscarrige be considered an abortion?

Biologically yes. The vast majority of abortions happen at a very early stage of development before the mother is even aware of it. A zygote is not a human being, it is a potential life.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

In medical terms...yes.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

A miscarriage is called a spontaneous abortion. The issue is not so much the end, but the means. Causing an abortion is what many object too---whereas they accept the 30% miscarriage rate as inevitable.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Interestingly---a ferilized egg that passes without implanting---or even soon after implanting before it is detected---is not recognized as a miscarriage.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit