Do You Believe Abortion Is Wrong? Should It Be Against The Law?

by minimus 140 Replies latest jw friends

• Johnnytwofeet
    Johnnytwofeet

Anti-abortion advocates. No one cares. You lost. Get over it.

• imasheilatoo
    imasheilatoo

I am comfortable with abortion only up until the first two to three months. And unless there is a case of health of the mother in jeopardy, or a case of the fetus not being viable, I don't see why any woman should not be able to make up her mind in that time period. The more advanced medical science has gotten, the more we know about the existence in utero of the fetus and the earlier we have been able to save babies born very prematurely. This has made me much more wary of later term abortions. However, making abortions illegal will not solve anything, and will only result in more deaths of women from getting illegal abortions. Women have been aborting their babies for thousands of years with or without help, and they are not going to stop just because it's illegal. If we truly want to stop abortions, then we must be in favor of and fight for free contraception, sex education in schools, equal pay for women, and social support for families. These are the programs that will cut down on unwanted pregnancies and/or support an unexpected addition to the family. We cannot be against these programs and also against abortion, it makes no sense. Every abortion is a tragedy in some way, but I would rather an early term abortion than an unwanted child.

• imasheilatoo
    imasheilatoo

I meant to say also that I am completely against the "Personhood" movement. Life does not begin at the fertilization of an egg. It has not even implanted yet. It is just a collection of cells. By the personhood reasoning even the removal of a wart would be murder.

• cofty
    cofty

Life does not begin at the fertilization of an egg. It has not even implanted yet. It is just a collection of cells.

This is the point I have been hoping to get somebody to think about. Minimus disrespectfully dismissed my post on this early on. How can those who oppose all abortion defend the position that a zygote has the same value as a new-born?

• Diest
    Diest

If God didnt make a Law against having sex with your daughter, I dont think he cared about abortion. Now on a humanist level, Id allow it till 20 weeks or so.

• tec
    tec

How can those who oppose all abortion defend the position that a zygote has the same value as a new-born?

(I hate the use of the word 'value' when it comes to life. Value is something we place on things that we love or have time invested in or serves us a purpose. Life is life, regardless of its value.)

But why would someone defend a 'zygote' as having 'life' and the right to live, the same as a new-born? For me, I have to wonder at what other point besides conception does a human being become alive. Is there some other defining point? I know of none. You are created at the moment of your conception. You grow from there, of course... just as a newborn grows into a toddler with a very demanding personality,lol... but that moment of conception is your beginning. Birth is just a notch on your growth line, like every other notch or milestone.

Can someone tell me of some other moment that takes us from no-life to life?

Peace,

tammy

• talesin
    talesin

Haven't read the thread (why would I? it's prolly just a big argument)... but I gotta say....

Diest, I think I love you!

If God didnt make a Law against having sex with your daughter, I dont think he cared about abortion. Now on a humanist level, Id allow it till 20 weeks or so.

t

( but I would say, don't make women wait past 12 weeks,,, it's usuallly longer sometimes because of the hoopla )

and I think I love you, too, Cofty!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"Can someone tell me of some other moment that takes us from no-life to life?"

How about the reverse?

Implantation. An egg can be fertilized by a sperm but unless it successfully implants into the lining of the uterus it won't continue on it's journey towards birth. From what I've read about 50% of fertilized eggs do not achieve implantation (without benefit of birth control).

• Sulla
    Sulla

Life does not begin at the fertilization of an egg. It has not even implanted yet. It is just a collection of cells.

So are you, imasheilatoo; just a collection of cells that happen to think they have rights. Not sure why your particuar collection of cells think that, but I guess they do.

Implantation. An egg can be fertilized by a sperm but unless it successfully implants into the lining of the uterus it won't continue on it's journey towards birth.

Let me know if you get tired of playing this game: First grade is when it moves from non-life to life, because if a child doesn't make it to first grade, he won't continue on his journey toward real life.

How can those who oppose all abortion defend the position that a zygote has the same value as a new-born?

Well, I guess it is because newborns derive their value, if we may use the term, from the simple fact that they are human beings. If you'd care to define a human being in some coherent way that excludes zygotes and includes newborns, comatose people, and forgotten homeless people, then I would like to hear it.

• tec
    tec

Well, I understand the reverse. Point of death is easy to see. Life, then no-life. It is the no-life to life point that we all seem to have trouble defining.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit