Do You Believe Abortion Is Wrong? Should It Be Against The Law?

by minimus 140 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

So what about all those fertilized eggs that didn't achieve implantation? What about them!

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    If God didnt make a Law against having sex with your daughter

Leviticus 18:6

"None of you shall approach any one near of kin to him to uncover nakedness. I am the LORD.

I dont think he cared about abortion.

Genesis 9:5-7 (sanctity of life)

For your lifeblood I will surely require a reckoning; of every beast I will require it and of man; of every man's brother I will require the life of man. Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for God made man in his own image. And you, be fruitful and multiply, bring forth abundantly on the earth and multiply in it.

Exodus 21:22-25 (causing "miscarriage" is a crime)

When men strive together, and hurt a woman with child, so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no harm follows, the one who hurt her shall be fined, according as the woman's husband shall lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Jeremiah 1:4-5 (humanity of the pre-born)

Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations."

• cofty
    cofty

A zygote is not an individual new life, it is just a cell, a new unique sequence of DNA, that's all. If it happens to split it may grow into 2 people, identical twins.

I think there is an unspoken religious notion of a unique soul being infused at the moment of conception behind some of the simplistic responses here.

• DonutZ!
    DonutZ!

I personally think using a morning after pill is alright but anything after is wrong.

• Sulla
    Sulla

A zygote is not an individual new life, it is just a cell, a new unique sequence of DNA, that's all. If it happens to split it may grow into 2 people, identical twins.

So, you're saying that the potential to separate into more than one numerically distinct humans disqualifies a thing from being human? Not sure if this is your point or not.

• Razziel
    Razziel

By this logic, you aren't really dead until several days after your hearts stops and you stop breathing, since many of our cells live on for a good while after that happens. That's just plain dumb. Think about some of your arguments.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Disturb or, forbid, crack a bald eagle egg, or even its nest,. . . . and you go to jail. Abort a human baby . . . and it's all legal.

Abortion is a failure of human society collectively and the couple that made the baby as individuals. Absent incest, rape, or the true health of the mother, I think abortion is terrible.

On the plus side, abortion gets rid of alot of unwanted babies. Babies who would grow up in poor situations and might lead to a life of crime. In the book Freakanomics, the statisticians linked 18/20 years after Rowe v Wade to the marked drop in crime that occured in the 1990s. It makes sense, and that is what leads me to believe that abortion is a failure of human society and a "fix" for it as well. So sad. I truly think that most women do not "gleefuly" have an abortion. It's done out of necessity as they can't provide for the child. As the woman in Rowe v. Wade later admitted, her abortion caused her great mental pain for many years. Again, it's just a failure.

Right now I am dealing with a pregnant, teenage relative about to give birth. No money, job, etc. Why did she get pregnant? The whole family openly told her they'd take her to a doctor to get on birth control. She refused to go. She was "embarrassed" to go to the doctor. These kids don't think things through. Obviously, a pregnant woman goes to the female doctor alot....and not to mention the birth. Of course, she "wants" the baby. . . . so, we all hope she and her boyfriend (who is still sticking around) will find an answer. Honestly, I can see where abortion is an easier fix to this mess. I see both sides of this issue.

Skeeter

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Last night, I learned something new about abortion laws in the UK.

. . .

Abortions for non-medical reasons are legal until 24 weeks, but terminations on grounds of sex of the foetus are illegal under the 1967 Abortion Act.

Doctors must agree that there is a compelling case for termination, but it is claimed that many abortions are agreed “on demand” and that the official paperwork does not fully reflect the discussions that have taken place.

. . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9100252/Abortion-investigation-Health-Secretary-Andrew-Lansley-to-report-clinics-and-doctors-to-police.html

• tec
    tec

I think there is an unspoken religious notion of a unique soul being infused at the moment of conception behind some of the simplistic responses here.

This I don't know about. Could be, but I don't know.

I'm trying to look at this from an objective, scientific pov... at what point does non-life become life? The only drastic visible event I can see to change non-life to life is the moment of conception. That many fertilized eggs do not implant, or later spontaneously abort has nothing to do with it. The beginning of life is perilous. But a high infant mortality rate does not change the status of infants as being living.

Peace,

Tammy

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"That many fertilized eggs do not implant, or later spontaneously abort has nothing to do with it."

Why not? A girl is born with 2 million follicles that for the most part will never ripen to be released but will be reabsorbed. Out of those 2 million maybe about 400 will ripen and become eggs. No sperm no fertilization. But even if the egg is lucky enough to be fertilized there's only a fifty percent change that ovum will successfully implant. Some women's bodies aren't equipped to allow implantation to happen. Oh they can ovulate (which can be verified by basal tempature) and they can track when their cervical mucus is conducive to sperm but if that egg doesn't implant there will be no baby.

I've read that exclusive breast feeding can cause a woman not to ovulation. I've also read that breast feeding could possibly cause the uterine lining to be insufficient to support a fertilized egg. Should breast feeding also be outlawed?

If the deciding factor of life is conception then every ovum should implant but every ovum for whatever reason does not implant so where do we go from there?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit