Do You Believe Abortion Is Wrong? Should It Be Against The Law?

by minimus 140 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Under the Mosaic Law God gave his judgment.

• minimus
    minimus

I agree with you about not changing the law but according to the Law, it was a life.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Only God knows if abortion is murder. By definition of the potential human life involved, I personally would feel I had murdered that potential life. I would feel I had deprived a person of the chance to live. But I am not God. I don't know when the tissue becomes a child. I don't know if God can give that potential life to another developing baby or not.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well since about 50 percent of fertized eggs naturally fail to implant I would say yeah it's up to god.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

On the Mosaic Law: you have to believe God was truly the author of it to believe it sets any precedence.

• cofty
    cofty

is it murder? Yes or no?

A simple "yes or no" answer is not possible IMO.

For example the primary mechanism of some contraceptive pills - the "mini pill" allows fertilisation but prevents implantation. The IUD device works in a similar way. I do not beleive this is morally wrong.

Similarily the "morning after pill" will cause an embryo to abort at a very early stage of development.

At some stage between this and full-term I have a moral objection to abortion. For me it has to do with the consciousness of the fetus and its viability for independent life.

Please don't think I have thought this through thoroughly but I am willing to discuss it and listen to other's thoughts. My only certainty at this stage is that rules based on religious dogma don't interest me.

• Sulla
    Sulla

I believe only God knows if this is murder or not.

I say the same thing about the prostitutes I kill, sometimes. Maybe it's "murder," maybe it's not. I certainly don't want it outlawed; every time I kill one, it is certainly is a tragedy of sorts, the elimination of potential life, but if you inderstood my compulsion, you wouldn't judge.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The problem with your example, Sulla, is that you compare clumps of cells with a fully grown human being. We can't say at what point the soul enters the picture. Only God knows if it is at conception or if it is later.

• minimus
    minimus

Sulla, that was funny.

If you question that the Law came from God, you might want to question "God" too.

• minimus
    minimus

When the fetus cries....oh, never mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit