Steven Unthank: What do we really know?

by SweetBabyCheezits 503 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

The whois lookup on the hosting site now shows NO DATA, ...not sure if that's too many hits on it causing it or if it has been removed.

This type of scenario is exactly why so many of us HATE the Rick Fearon type of sensationalism so much. Once on that path the urge to make headway against the WTS WILL override good judgement and common sense. ANY lie, mistatement, misrepresentation, however small WILL undo a great deal of hard work and make all apostates fit the mould the WTS casts us in, ...untrustworthy liars. The net result is that many doubting JWs run straight back to mother again.

Covering a deception, or a blunder, with anything but brutal honesty will just serve to weaken further that persons credibility. And that is all we have to trade on, CREDIBILITY. Once it's lost you never get it back. These are general statements, aimed at the larger goal of making headway against the WTS, not to be taken as statements against any person in particular (except Rick of course).

• sizemik
    sizemik

Yeah I get that cbj . . . but that was simply a hosting site for access to the information like you said. It is in no way connected with the govt site. That is simply where Senic Viewer accessed it through. Sure it could have been displaying fake information but it wasn't. The verification you're looking for of Unthanks case is not at the govt site either, simply because it only displays a court schedule, ie; those cases scheduled to appear today and future. It does not retain archives or cases heard yesterday because it is a court schedule . . . as in future. You can however email the official site and request a copy of cases bought up for a hearing that have either been decided or dismissed. I could send you a saved screen shot of it too . . . but what would be the point . . . you need to go to the source and ask.

If Steven has made mistakes, then one is revealing too much that can't be verified. That doesn't make it false however . . . only questionable. But the guy is a carpenter by trade and up until a very short time ago, a believing witness. He has been losing his faith and friends while dealing with this . . . something we can relate to at least. He's actually a very nice guy trying to cope with way more than I could. You ought to give him a ring and have a chat . . . it would resolve all the mystery for you.

• Johnnytwofeet
    Johnnytwofeet

You people really never learn do you?

• shamus100
    shamus100

No, they don't Johnny. ;P

Moving on........

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

johnnytwofeet, we are just sorting out the facts, that is a good thing.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I'm hoping to let this thread get buried but feel like I need to address this first.

Talesin: In my part of the world (out of the KH for over 35 years, by the way), it is customary to go to the SOURCE of one's complaint before broadcasting it in public. That's just common courtesy in polite society.

Talesin, had Unthank sent me a PM that showed the girls' image found on his website, I would've quietly taken it up with him via PM. But this wasn't a private issue. Without obtaining permission from the subject's guardian, he overtlydisplayed some unfortunate, random child's portrait on his website with a very descriptive statement of what supposedly happened to her.

In my part of the world (which I hate to claim, since it's the armpit of the US), that kind of action crosses a number of lines beyond a lack of common courtesy.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

i am more pissed off by the reaction to steven being caught about the picture. if him and his associates (barbara anderson, rick fearon,etc) simply apologised and left it at that, then i'd have no problem. but instead we get insulted, told we are "negitive" and we have "community guilt", and that those who "attacked" steven over the picture really just want the victims of child abuse to remain faceless. i mean, THAT shit pisses me off and makes me speak out even more. plus, its sad that people who have done great things have stooped to the level of rick fearon and used watchtower fallacy debate tactics against people who pointed out that picture. that is not right, and im not standing for it. i dont stand for it with the watchtower, and im sure as hell not going to stand for it with anyone else. i dont care what your stature is in the ex-jw community.

• Johnnytwofeet
    Johnnytwofeet

We really need to aim higher when it comes to the people that represent us. What a clown show.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    i am more pissed off by the reaction to steven being caught about the picture. if him and his associates (barbara anderson, rick fearon,etc) simply apologised and left it at that, then i'd have no problem. but instead we get insulted, told we are "negitive" and we have "community guilt", and that those who "attacked" steven over the picture really just want the victims of child abuse to remain faceless. i mean, THAT shit pisses me off and makes me speak out even more. plus, its sad that people who have done great things have stooped to the level of rick fearon and used watchtower fallacy debate tactics against people who pointed out that picture. that is not right, and im not standing for it. i dont stand for it with the watchtower, and im sure as hell not going to stand for it with anyone else. i dont care what your stature is in the ex-jw community.

+ one billion. The explanation for the picture was, if anything, worse than the picture. And the line about the lego blocks will live in infamy. On the other thread, I called for both Mr. Unthank and Ms. Anderson to renounce the sensationalism and personal attacks - and to once and for all end their association with Rick Fearon. They are beginning to actually sound like Rick Fearon. I repeat it here.

• undercover
    undercover

We really need to aim higher when it comes to the people that represent us. What a clown show.

aside from the fact that most of your posts have been general put downs and nothing substantial, I'll respond to this one statement:

No one represents me. NO ONE. I am an individual that happens to be an ex-JW. I didn't vote for anyone to be leader of some imagined apostate army. I don't get this thing about 'we're represented' or 'we're all in this together'. We're not. We're only as involved as we want to be. The actions of nuts like Fearon do not reflect on me. And the good work of the Andersons doesn't refect on me either. They chose a higher road, but that doesn't mean they speak for me any more than Rick Fearon does. They're individuals who have chosen to fight the WTS on their own terms, just as I have chosen to battle them on my own private terms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit