What is you occupation

by Beans 91 Replies latest jw friends

• jukief
    jukief

Hi Pierced Angel.

I'm not sure whether we're using freelancers. This is a start-up book; we had a premier issue in November, and the regular issues start in March/April. So far we've been using writers from our other books, and we haven't even up staffed the magazine yet. (We senior editors get to "volunteer" to edit the copy.) :-)

But let me ask me around. I didn't check; is your email address available? You can write me at [email protected]. I'll get back to you, and if we have any guidelines, I'll forward them to you.

Julie

• conflicted
    conflicted

I am a graphic artist. The company I work for does product marking for all kinds of retail/commercial products.

Basically I do art for pre-press, silk screen color separations, vector graphics for vinyl decals and 3-D mapping for computer engravers.

I love my job because everyday I'm doing something different.

--------------------------------------
    life is the opportunity for art

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I'm a mainframe COBOL programmer working for a stock transfer company outside of Boston.

I lucked out as far as professions go. I missed going to college because of pioneering, but I worked as an administrative assistant to the president of a small computer service bureau.

I was able to get training as a programmer while I worked for them, and it turned out to be a job that I really enjoy.

• Xander
    Xander

I'm a mainframe COBOL programmer working for a stock transfer company outside of Boston.

COBOL? Damn, people still speak that? I think I learned about it in one of my history classes or something...

Me, I'm taking classes for Visual C++ and Java, with VisualBasic already well under my belt. (I do programming as a hobby right now, but am working towards the software engineering department at my company).

Currently, I work as a PC support rep. Solve all kinds of software and OS related problems. (And hardware problems, but only becuase I build gaming PCs as a hobby, too, so I know *lots* about hardware!).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the company I work for writes telecommunications and operator center support software - so I have the whole telecom thing going, too.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Xander, believe it or not, COBOL is alive and well, and COBOL programmers are difficult to find. Most large companies that deal with a huge amount of data still use COBOL to manage it.

• RWC
    RWC

I am what is normally referred to as a shark, a bottom feeder, an ambulance chaser or just scum. I am a trial lawyer with my own litigation practice ( which this board has taken me away from for quite awhile since I found it). But I want it to be known that I am not an ambulance chaser, I pride myself on arriving before the ambulance.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Part time I work as a nurse.

After discovering there was such a thing as an ex-Jehovah's Witness community, the next thing I was amazed to discover was how many of us went into the helping professions. (There are plenty of those on this board who haven't posted here yet).

Any guesses on if this is unique to JW's, or if this is true of ex-cult members in general?

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Right now, I’m doing unglamorous work as a professional book scout (I purchase books for major book wholesalers) and I’m only doing it because it pays obscenely well. When I don’t need to make as much money, I enjoy doing scientific research in geophysics and astrobiology. A year or so down the road, I intend to get into writing nonfiction books, developing several cool inventions of mine, being a mad scientist, doing research on human sexuality (building the orgasmatron) and if I have any time left become a social activist and occasionally make the headlines for doing the right thing in the socially unacceptable wrong way.

Skipper

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Well now, I'd like to think of me as a writer. I'm into writing a book about my life. I think it's a positive thing, if nothing more than therapeutic. I also paint. It's a love that I had as a teenager, but had to take up a career. But now, I'm able to enjoy these things. Sometimes I feel guilty, like I should be out there working again, but I love being able to stay home and do some things that in the past, I didn't have time for. =:o)

But I could use a daddy/big brother! Any volunteers? T.R.? Stan?
    It's funny, I've got many brothers, but there's not one, that I think I could call in confidence....it's the whole disfuntional/j.w. thing. Maybe I've got too much time on my hands. Maybe I DO need to go back to work! It's ashame that we have so much guilt buried into us, that we can't even relax and enjoy life sometimes. Am I making sense, or do I need to go to bed? It is late. Nite Nite Tinkerbell =:oP

• JAVA
    JAVA

I work at a small medical college in Ohio (600 students) as director of student housing. Folks wear many hats in small schools, and I share duties in Student Services, too. I started college a little late in life (thanks to the Tower of Ignorance), and I haven't been off a college campus professionally for 20 years. Why grow up and get a job in the "real world" unless you have to?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit