Gave 5 JW's Something to Think About at a Starbucks Today

by flipper 81 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

'ang on a minute. Did I read this right? The ol' bint you were talking to commented on shunning :

spokesman for the 5 and said, " Oh no ! we don't do that ! "

Then she went on to tell you why shunning is a good idea? Gaw'blimey! What a bleedin' liberty guv'nor!

Theocrapic warfare or what?

Gawd bless ya' Mr Flip! Have a fish (I don't s'pose you get those in Starbucks!)

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Ive heard first hand how the jws talk about how everyone loves and respects them and that even criminals wont hurt them if they find out they are dubs.Its a lie,of course,a lie that they tell eachother to get by.The reality is quite the opposite.They are a vile,cowardly,supersticious bunch.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

ABJW@S: "Well, it's like when you send your children to their bedroom when you discipline them for a 30 minute time out and isolate them from the family. You do it out of love so they'll learn to be good and obey."

Yeah, it's all about the obedience!

ABJW@S = Attractive Brunette JW at Starbucks

Little Boy: Mommy, can I come out now?

ABJW@S: Not yet.

Little Boy: But WHEN mommy, WHEN can I come out?

ABJW@S: When I say so.

Little Boy: When will that be?

ABJW@S: Soon.

Little Boy: But mommy, it's been ever so long and I miss my brothers and sisters ...

ABJW@S: Stop whining, it's only been a couple of years!

• rebel8
    rebel8

a copy of this Huffington news report which explains how bullying and shunning are psychologically damaging and hurtful to people

Very good article, thanks, I posted it on the Cult Prevention blog.

The dubs I know would be nonplussed. The reason they're doing it is to hurt. To continue with their analogy, "you discipline children with the rod enough to make it hurt, otherwise what's the point" (approximate quote from my childhood).

I suppose there could possibly be some dubs who don't see it that way? Maybe the younger ones who didn't live through the Great Apostasy of the 80s.

As a side note, I got a giggle about the bros sitting in Starbucks talking about how to get their hours up. Irony.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Mr. Flipper, thanks for sharing the link to Janice Harper's Huffington Post article. Two points in her essay really stood out to me:

• "To shun a person consequently isolates them at the very point when they most need support."
    • "I remain troubled by the failure of our species to extend compassion to those who need it the most"
  • wha happened?
    wha happened?

I think the real success in this story is that others were also within earshot of the conversation.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You "witnessed" to people in a coffee shop and "placed" literature with them. Good job.

I guess it's true, "train up a boy according to the way" and he will never forget.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

OTWO - That's too funny. I can't believe I missed the irony. Can Mr. Flipper count his time? Where does he turn in his FS report?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Disciplining your children for 20 - 30 minutes is a lot different than shunning and isolating family members for months on months and year after year ! I find that inhumane and offensive. "

You could add something like: . . . and I believe Jesus said "by their fruits" you will recognize his disciples -- that is, by the love they display. No matter how JWs might like to twist it, there is NO way that shunning can be construed as LOVING. It is unloving, inhumane, and UNCHRISTIAN. But then that's according to Jesus, not the Governing Body, and I'm told that JWs CANNOT dare disagree with the GB, or else then THEY will also be shunned.

DOC

• 00DAD
    00DAD

DOC: I'm told that JWs CANNOT dare disagree with the GB, or else then THEY will also be shunned.

They SAY that's not true, but just TRY IT and see what happens!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit