Gave 5 JW's Something to Think About at a Starbucks Today

by flipper 81 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I was having coffee at a Starbucks located in a Supermarket chain in one of the towns I work in my business . While sitting there doing paperwork , what looked like 3 elders on their field service break sat at a table no more than 4 feet from me . After eavesdropping it was obvious they were elders as they were talking about the C.O.'s visit and how they needed to get their hours up in field service. Then about 10 ft. away at another table 5 JW's sat down - 2 were middle aged to older women age about 60 - 65 , 2 women were in their mid 30's looked like possibly wives of elders or JW husbands, and 1 lone man about mid 30's with them.

As I finished my coffee I sat there plotting my course. Since the 3 elders got there before the 5 other JW's - I figured I'd wait until the elders left then spring into action with my Huffington post article titled " A Reason ( and Season ) to Stop Shunning "which talks about psychological bullying of shunning and mentions Jehovah's Witnesses, Scientologists, and Amish as ALL religions who shun and how hurtful and hateful it is. Here's the link to the article : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/janice-harper/a-reason-and-season-to-st_b_1146103.html.

My opportunity came when the elders got up and left. I approached the table of 5 Witnesses and asked, " Are you Jehovah's Witnesses ? " They gleefully said " Yes ! " Then I mentioned that I have relatives who are Jehovah's Witnesses too. This of course, made them even MORE giddy in their glee and they said, " Oh ! nice ! " . Little did they know exactly WHAT I had up my sleeve.

So I said, " I have a JW niece who hasn't attended meetings in years , yet many of my JW relatives shun her, won't have anything to do with her even though she's still a Witness ! Is this the normal standard that Jehovah's Witnesses follow ? " Then sister attractive brunette in her mid 30's acted as spokesman for the 5 and said, " Oh no ! we don't do that ! " I said, " Oh really ? My niece hasn't attended Witness meetings in years and my JW family acts like she doesn't exist ! I think it's very sad and wrong for them to do this. " Then sister brunette says in this sing song type high pitched too sweet voice , " Well, do you have any children ? " I said, " Yes, they are all grown. " She continued, " Well, it's like when you send your children to their bedroom when you discipline them for a 30 minute time out and isolate them from the family. You do it out of love so they'll learn to be good and obey. " I said, " That's a TOTALLY different situation. Disciplining your children for 20 - 30 minutes is a lot different than shunning and isolating family members for months on months and year after year ! I find that inhumane and offensive. " Sister brunette was at a loss for words.

So I told her I'd like to give her a copy of this Huffington news report which explains how bullying and shunning are psychologically damaging and hurtful to people . She accepted it as I looked at the middle aged older ladies . One of them shot daggers with her eyes at me as the other older lady started to say something. I interrupted her and said, " I have to go. Just please read this information as it's very important and I think it would really be helpful to you. Take care. " And with that- I turned around and walked away from them leaving them in their mind controlled drunken coffee stupor.

So- I hope they will discuss this among them as I just came across as an unbelieving relative concerned for the sad shunning my niece is experiencing. None of these people knew me as I never lived in this particular town . It's 70 miles away from where I live now.

Anyway- My motive is to inform as many of these JW's as I can in order for them to hear it from an " outsider " or non-Witness. You just never know where our seeds may bear fruit, eh ? LOL ! Would enjoy hearing your feedback or any comments you have. Have some of you tried talking to JW's at Starbucks or anywhere else and gotten them into conversations before ? Any experiences ? Would love to hear about them ! Take care you all. Have a great weekend ! Peace and love to all of you ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

They may well of dropped the report into the nearest bin as soon as you left and then discussed how they were able to succsesfully ward of one of satan's attackers. Then chatted about how clever satan is that he got the huffington post to print that but it really backfires because even a negative article in a newspaper using the name 'jehovah' is proof that the world wide witness work is being noticed!

I am certain that as a group with all its peer pressure that would be the outcome.

Hopefully one of them will go home and google the article...

but they do get a shock when they get told to their face how disgusting shunning is!

OZ

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Good job Flipper! I have a friend that moved out of her territory, so when she gets JW's at the door she doesn't even know them. I copied a pile of JW facts for her to drop on them. Maybe just one of them will think about it, you never know. NMKA

• Heaven
    Heaven

Flipper, excellent work! Are you talking pointers from Moshe?

• sabastious
    sabastious

Quick thinking, flipper. I find it shocking that many Witnesses will just outright say they are not involved in extremism like shunning and defend it as some sort of reasonable discipline when put on the spot in public. The way I see it is that Witnesses are supposed to see DF'ed people as sick. You don't quarantine every type of sick person that would get your medical licence revoked. Great experience!

-Sab

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Flipper,

Do you have preprinted articles from Huffington Post that you carry around with you? I'm impressed by how you do not start screaming at them or go postal. I believe I would. One time I did hold my ground and held it well. My siblings were present and thought I was awesome. I thought I was hot. Only late in the night, I woke up from a dream, screaming and screaming. My heart was pounding. The whole family, including, dog, got up, turned on all the lights and reassured me. So I don't know how hot I was. It took about one hour to orient myself.

• blondie
    blondie

Flipper, great response re time out for 30 minutes not ignoring for years.

I was shunned as an elder's wife and active jw...and was told that was permissible and to suck it up. These holy ones also told others to avoid me,

I'm going to make sure I have copies on me for jws and to help sympathetic non-jws understand the real damage it does.

Good for you, Blondie

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I hope they read it and not consider it "from the devil"..

I'm afraid I would open up and not stop..you did very well and a good example for others here..keep up the good work!.

Like you said, you never know..lol Didn't they teach us that?..

The last article I read about a JW child molestor and how he only got 20 months is still fuming in my mind!

http://www.silentlambs.org/Kozelisky.htm

Snoozy

• exjehovah
    exjehovah

I love it! Good for you. :-)

• cofty
    cofty

You handled that perfectly Flipper. Its a certainty at least some of those JWs are still struggling with your simple but powerful points. Well done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit