I don't believe the Bible is Inspired of god - Why do you / don't you?

by cantleave 202 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty
    I disagree. - Ucantnome

Ok but its not a matter of opinion whether or not the bible contradicts itself its an objective fact.

Have you looked in depth at the evidence? Do wish to discuss it?

• designs
    designs

Well ok Non-buddy, I gave you one of several paranormal experiences I've had, and they are all open to scrutiny, I invite it. Seeing and hearing voices from the 'beyond' is something millions have experienced, does it prove the the New Testament true or is there another rational explaination.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Cofty you dont think I faced a difficulty squarely or directly. I should have argued with you over whether the Bible has inconsistences or not. Maybe citing this source and that to end up with you still believeing it isn't and me believing it is.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Well ok Non-buddy, I gave you one of several paranormal experiences I've had, and they are all open to scrutiny, I invite it. Seeing and hearing voices from the 'beyond' is something millions have experienced, does it prove the the New Testament true or is there another rational explaination.

No I it doesnt prove the New Testament true hearing voices. I have a friend who hears them alot she is an atheist.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Designs I dont think you really thought of me as your buddy did you?

• designs
    designs

Ucant- Just a suggestion, if your Faith is vital to you maybe this type of discussion isn't for you. This is hard ball time and former Believers have generally done their homework with archeology, astronomy etc to come to their conclusions about the Bible.

• cofty
    cofty

Maybe citing this source and that to end up with you still believeing it isn't and me believing it is.

If you have read any of my more than 2000 posts you will know I never resort to citing sources I can't first explain in my own words.

We both know the bible very well, we can discuss whether or not it contradicts itself by reference to the bible alone if you wish?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

If there is evidence, it is testable.

If there is not, it isn't.

You can have faith, I support that. Good for you. But don't pretend your realm of faith is at all related to science. It's not.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Just a side point that could be helpful. . .

When I figured out that the WTS was full of shit, the first thing I said to myself was, "How do I really know what I know?"

I realized I had allowed myself to be pumped full of information about the bible, history, religion-- mostly from the WTS. Information control at its finest.

In the end, I found I knew a WHOLE LOT LESS than what I thought I knew. It wasn't a comforting feeling. It didn't even really engender a particularly "hopeful" feeling. But at least I was being honest with myself.

I think a good start in thinking critically about any aspect of life would be to read some David Hume. At the very worst, you get to read some thoughts from a really bright Scotsman who was way ahead of his time. No, I did not find hope or comfort in reading Hume, but it gives your brain a workout and provides some insight into how the human mind reifies abstract concepts and provides meaning to life. Hume will help you to really THINK like you never thought possible.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Cofty I have to watch "Sherlock" and I will lose the argument I'm sure.

Thank you for the chat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit