I don't believe the Bible is Inspired of god - Why do you / don't you?

by cantleave 202 Replies latest watchtower bible

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

No, the Bible isn't inspired. I have always found myself making excuses for it, the miracles and supertitions it contains, as well as god's bizzare and erratic behavior in its stories. Like someone said previously, once you realize it was created by a bunch of guys in darkened, pre-scientific, superstitious societies, it all makes perfect sense. No mental gymnastics, interpretations, or reconciliation with secular history needed.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

But there is only one God an nobody like him. He always existed and always will. Are we like that?

How can you say his wisdom isn't greater than man's?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    You've made a littany of notes about special pleadings in Genesis. Day doesn't really mean day. Morning doesnt really mean morning. Light doesn't really mean light. Creating sun/moon/stars doesn't mean he really created them then. Every single verse seems to require some sort of note or explanation. When did people start making those special pleadings? Only after science debunked the logical reading of the book for thousands of years. Bible believers ALWAYS believed the world was created in 6 days. Any idiot would. Only when science showed this was wrong did people reinvent the words. The way it is written led men of science to believe in a geocentric universe for thousands of years. Its only logical. When scienced showed this was wrong, people reinvented what Genesis said again. No one in their right mind would ever read that and think the sun/moon/stars were created BEFORE flowering plants. It clearly doesn't say that. Only after science showed how things works does it get reinvented.

The current world cannot explain how the book of Genesis came to be. That makes it one of mankinds biggest mysteries. There is much speculation to where it came from and who penned the words. My break down was an attempt to explain my beliefs about WHAT the document is. Not as the first chapter in the Bible Cannon, but it's placement in the Torah as well. It was meant to be uttered alloud by a "trained professional" to an audience of illiterates. You and I, simon17, are gods compared to the people this document was designed for. Therefore I think it's our responsibility to first interpret for exactly what it WAS. It is a beautiful document that was designed to uplift battered humans into a state of hope and faith within themselves. Where did the hebrews get it? Moses? Where did Moses get it? From God? Well maybe "God" gave it to him, but what does that even mean? I believe you are using your scalpel as a knife to discredit others whereas you should be using it for dissecting this ancient artifact.

-Sab

• designs
    designs

Ucant- It is not a matter of god submitting to tests its a matter of testing what exists or in theory exists to explain the universe, like Dark Matter for one instance. Someone having a vision or claiming to see an apirition is simply personal and really has no meaning beyond that.

Why is it Catholics see visions of Mary but Evangelicals don't, or why does a believer in Kali able to start and stop the flow of blood; cultural specific phenomenon.

• cofty
    cofty

That sounds like an excuse.

I don't understand your point here. I expained my journey from JW to atheist via christian. You said you had evidence for god but when asked to share it you said god's wisdom is not man's wisdom.

We hear this so often. As a christian I had loads of evidence for god and argued it with a passion. Later I allowed myself to properly consider evidence to the contrary. I never make excuses or hide from evidence on this subject.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Designs everything you believe is only because of your 5 senses? Take them away and what can you believe?

• cofty
    cofty

The current world cannot explain how the book of Genesis came to be. That makes it one of mankinds biggest mysteries.

Its just one of many ancient documents full of myths and exaggerated history. There is evidence it is a compilation of bits of other older books. There is no mystery about it.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Cofty,

Cantleave said this,

Part of the waking up process for me was educating myself, or should I say re-educating myself. This resulted in me challenging everything I believed in. I re-examined the doubts I had filed in the back of mind, and read the theories I was too scared to look at before, in case they eroded my faith.

I said this in reference to this

But the wisdom of God and wisdom of man is two different things isnt it?

I said I had evidence in my life, but why should I share it with you. So you can belittle it and try to destroy my faith?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The origins of the book of Genesis are only a mystery to people who have never opened a serious book on the subject.

• designs
    designs

Ucant- Explain then the phenomenon that you experienced.

I've had phenomenologial things happen and at the time considered them from God. When I was an addict and at the bottom of my addiction I planned to take my life, I stood on a cliff overlooking the ocean and as I was about to take the plunge my deceased grandmother presence was there and she told me to 'keep living everything was going to be alright'. For many years through my recovery that was an important experience, now I see it as the subconscious at work, but at the time it was very real.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit