Evil Spirits

by LizLA 294 Replies latest jw experiences

• harekrishna
    harekrishna
    You Do KNOW harekrishna is a CULT right? Plain and simple for you, ... you have gone from one cult into another one. You didn't pass GO, but you do still have a get out of jail free card... Wake UP!!

LOL. So 'they're' a 'CULT'. Ah, thanks for that warning. I didn't know we had a vote on it and it was decided. I bet you have a lot of experience with them and know all about them.

It seems like most exJW's who post on here fall into three basic groups:

1. raging/angry atheists

2. newly converted Methodists/Catholics/Born Agains/Protestants

3. agnostics who probably will have nothing to do with any organized religion ever again.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. God knows, we all are carrying a lot of baggage from the JW experience. With that said, I would've thought this board, out of all the thousands of religious discussion boards out there, would be the most open minded and curious. Sadly, I'm quickly finding it quite the opposite.

When somebody first mentioned they were having problems with spirits, I thought that would be the start of an open discussion among like minded people. Instead, most people started making fun of that person, as if the original poster were crazy. It strikes me as extremely arrogant to throw mud and verbal insults at what you probably know little about. (Whether it's one's religious choices or whatever).

I mean, didn't we just leave a group that did that all the time? When I escaped the JW's (I was born into it), I vowed to be as open minded and tolerant of other views as humanly possible. I guess I just assumed that all other exJW's would be just as open minded.

Wake UP!!
    Yes, I did wake up. For once in my life I feel spritually uplifted like I never felt all those years going to the KH. I love

the incredible vegetarian food and the wonderful festivals at the Hare Krishna temple. (All of which have its' roots based on

ancient Indian/Vedic traditions).

All I can say is, keep an open mind. Please stop hurling verbal assaults at religious groups you know nothing about. Try to broaden your horizons and be more tolerant of others. Life is too damn short to keep slinging that mud!

Hare Krishna!

• cofty
    cofty

Well I'm an atheist but I'm not raging or angry.

The Hare Krishna movement is based on the near deification of a man Swami Srila Prabhupada and his holy book the Bhagavad-Gita .

If you don't get why that is a problem then what did you learn from your upbringing in the borg?

• Twitch
    Twitch

harekrishna,

Realize that not everyone here is cut of the 3 cloths you lay out. Only the most vocal in a crowd are heard but they don't represent the whole. Sometimes thats a good thing, sometimes it's a bit ugly but it's usually genuine people voicing legit issues and honest opinions. Yes, I wouldn't disagree that this site runs high on emotion and is rather chaotic at times but it's also very rational and informally teaches critical thinking, if on a "street" level. There is no charter or agenda here. There are posters here and many who have come and gone whom you may consider open minded. It's a sandbox in cyberspace and on the whole, it has served more good than bad IMO. Perhaps it could be better but it is what it is.

And now to sum up my current thoughts on the matter:

Irie ;)

• cofty
    cofty
    1. Doubt is like an emotion, it is based in a fear, that can be overcome.
    2. The power to overcome it is by constant prayer and intaking spiritual power from the bible, and believing in it.

So the way to overcome doubt is to believe - have I got that right?

Do I just screw my eyes shut really tight and say "I believe, I believe I really, really believe" over and over until doubt goes away?

Faith = whistling in the dark.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Why would doubt be like an emotion? Does that mean certainty is an emotion? Of course it doesn't. The way to over come doubt is via evidence, preferably as far as proof. Maybe doubt is an emotion to you but to me it is simply not having enough information to be certain.

I do not see any necessary logical connection between doubt and fear.

I would accept that a person might be certain on the basis of their own subjective experience however that is of little use as evidence to someone else, particularly a stranger.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit