Evil Spirits

by LizLA 294 Replies latest jw experiences

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

See, I understood that something is solid (matter) when the waves are 'standing'.

That's the part that has absolutely ZERO scientific backing, no way to test (currently), no explanation better than the current standard model of particle physics (which, by the way, we KNOW is incomplete, one of the reasons the LHC was built) and has no predictive powers. It barely meets the criteria for "hypothesis". There is no science or math to back it that I have seen. The math on that one site with about standing waves that is already well understood and utilized, it has nothing to do with creation of matter and energy.

I never heard or read or understood anything about standing waves in space. Just that waves (standing or moving) affect the solidity of an object. Or our perception of the solidity of that object, based on the limitations of our own physical senses.

And that is why I started talking about matter energy conversion. Compression waves absolutely can affect matter. It's called an explosion. those aren't standing waves, though, they are moving compression waves.

And we aren't limited to our five senses. We have machines to measure things we can't detect. Again, there is zero science that I can find behind this standing wave idea changing matter to energy and vice versa.

You know how we used to have computers and hard drives that were enormous, and as technology got more sophisticated, we got that down to the size of... well, whatever fits into macs, and iphones, etc? I would see it like that.

Well, yes, that's true about technology, but they don't use standing waves to get them smaller, they increase the sensitivity and density of things like transistors, switches and magnetic bits in platters. And use less energy to power the devices. I understand where you are going, but the analogy doesn't make sense, at lease to me (you should be aware that density of information and management in computing and data storage is my field of work, so I understand that field VERY VERY well and technology and science behind it).

Not conversion... more of a learning to shift from a standing wave, to a moving one. We can't do that. We are trapped; tied to the flesh (solid). We don't have the knowledge or the ability. For now.

Probably because there is zero evidence or even a solid hypothesis that suggests such a thing is possible. Observed behavior of matter and space makes the liklihood seem somewhat close to zero. Although I could be wrong, it would be like suggesting the speed of light really is the speed of thought, not to say that it's wrong, but there is no framework for relating that idea to how it is seen and proven that the universe actually works and no method of reconciling the two.

But don't most theories start out as a glimpse, a possibility, then build into more?

No. They don't. They start out with "This is what I am seeing." Then you come up with a hypothesis to explain it, a way to test the hypothesis and falsify it (if my hypothesis was "water is always liquid at 10 degrees centigrade" a way to falsify it would be to change the conditions of the test, namely pressure and temperature and see if I can prove my hypothesis wrong), take the results of multiple tests, see how that matches to observed reality, see if it can predict changes under different conditions, etc., and continue to winnow it down until your hypothesis either holds true under certain conditions OR prove it wrong. Either way you have learned something.

Fundamentally, this is why I think so many people reject science (while at the same time reaping the benefits of it). It's hard work, you have to learn a lot, you prove yourself wrong, you open yourself to criticism on purpose and it could (and often does) destroy cherished beliefs.

But so far, it's the only thing that has moved us forward. It's a LOT easier to beleive in mysticism that no one can "prove" wrong and to reject science when it comes close to cherished beliefs than to reject them and build a new framework of thinking.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

sry double post

No worries, it was probably evil intarwebs spirits in your computer.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Think of what I was saying this way, Shel (BTW, I hope you are feeling better, I know it was a bit of a rough time for you there, and Merry Christmas),

I am feeling MUCH better, dear one (again, peace to you!)... although the merciless cold is causing me to "tweak" every now and again. Pushing through it, though... and no where NEAR the pain prior to the surgery, so... But thank you for your kind regards!

is that it's OK to believe in God, or spirits or whatever else you like. But, if you want to start talking about how it compatible with science, then you have to use the terms and methodology of science or else you aren't talking about science.

I understand that latter part, dear one, but I don't know if some here are relating that it IS okay to believe in God... or spirits. Indeed, some are literally stating that neither IS okay. Based on their experience(s)... which I surmise has been strictly limited to what they've learned from being members of/associating with cults... I can understand that. But they tend to overlook that SOME of us have had experiences that go beyond cult indoctrination.

But, if you want to start talking about how it compatible with science, then you have to use the terms and methodology of science or else you aren't talking about science.

I don't know that any of us "want" to start talking so. We kind of don't have a choice... because that's the ONLY "language" some of YOU know, speak, and so will communicate in. So then, we're forced to try and communicate in a scientific form of "Spanglish"... which WE admit to because we ADMIT we don't speak "science." But "you're" adamant position that ONLY science CAN be spoken... and refusal to learn OUR language... creates this situation. Not OUR unwillingness to learn YOUR language. I mean, we TRY, dear one. Can the same be said of some of YOU?

I try (not always successfully) to not talk about theology much, I REALLY don't get believing in God.

And there you GO! It's like people ("Americans") who don't believe in learning another language... even if they're the visitors in a non-English country... because THEY believe English SHOULD be the ONLY language... and that others should learn to speak IT... to accommodate THEM... even in THEIR country. Imagine the world "scene"... if EVERYONE knew at least one... or two... other language(s). Nothing stopping us, though...except our own laziness... and/or paradigms... on the matter.

Having said that, if I did partake in a discussion with a beleiver in the Bible, then I should know the Bible and Christian beliefs to even have a framework to understand the discussion.

Only if you deign to quote it, dear one. Otherwise, that's really not necessary at all. Given how many DO misquote it, though, or misstate what a verse says/means, or misinterprets it... "knowing" it (meaning, having read it, right?)... doesn't seem to be required at all.

If we are talking about the Bible and I am using Garfield comics as my reference material, what I am talking about is not really germaine to the Biblical discussion, is it?

I get what you're saying, dear one... but I'm not sure you're applying it accurately. The thread wasn't about "scientific" phenomena; it was, however, about something that is mentioned in the Bible. Yet, where is the Bible references from those who demanded scientific discussion? So, if we are speaking about spirits... good or bad... and YOU are using, say, a CERNE publication... what YOU'RE talking about is not really germaine to the discussion. Is it? Now, if you quoted, say, the DSM IV, you MIGHT have some input, but only from a "physical" point of view. Still overlooks the spiritual, which is what this was about. Yes?

To sum up, if you want to talk about science, then you will have to use scientific terms and understand how it works OR educate yourself by asking questions. You don't get to use the parts of it you (not you personally, in the general sense) like and reject the parts you don't.

But isn't that EXACTLY what some of YOU did, here? The OP wanted to talk about SPIRITS. Where, then, are YOUR "spiritual terms" (not you personally, but in the general sense)? Where is YOUR understanding of "how [spirits] work"? Why won't YOU "educate" yourselves... perhaps by asking questions (which is what the OP did!) versus ridiculing? Do some of YOU not use the parts of it YOU like... and reject the parts YOU don't? (And note, I'm not yelling, dear one - just in some pain... and typing fast... so...).

For intance, theory in the scientific sense doesn't mean the same as when I may say "I have a theory about why the television isn't turning on." That's means I have a guess, a hypothesis.

Yes, I understand that...

In science, a Theory is when something has been tested over and over, passed every test and is at the closest it can possibly come to being considered a "fact". Gravity, relativity, evolution, germ theory, all work over and over and over, are repeatable, testable and predictive. We may add more knowledge to them in the future, we will, I hope, but they WORK. That's a theory in science.

But... this wasn't a post ABOUT science, dear one. YOU (not you personally, but in the general sense) made it about science. Then YOU (not you...) attempt to force US to make it about science, too. Then, when someone TRIES to accommodate... YOU (not you...) try to rip her to shreds. When she SAID, "I don't know enough ABOUT science to put it in such terms."

YOU are INVITED to learn our language. YOU have made it plain, under no extenuating circumstances... that you are NOT interested in doing so. But when we TRY to come over to your "side" and explain in a language you MIGHT understand... on a basic level... you reject that, as well. "NO!" you cry, "It must be MORE advanced than that." When we say, "Look, there are no words in OUR language to say what you'd like to hear" or "Look, there's no words in YOUR language that can translate to what we're saying," you reject that. Like English speakers rejecting Spanish altogether because SOME things can't be explained in English words. Or vice versa.

It's hypocrisy, dear one. And mean. And short-sighted. And... understandable. Because it's human... and of earthling man.

I hope this helps you "see" from another POV, dear one. Shouldn't be hard: the POV is yours... just from the "other" side.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant (always) and a slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest
    That's the part that has absolutely ZERO scientific backing, no way to test (currently), no explanation better than the current standard model of particle physics (which, by the way, we KNOW is incomplete, one of the reasons the LHC was built) and has no predictive powers.

But does the fact that there is no scientific backing NOW... and no way to test NOW... and no explanation better than the current standard model NOW, and no predictive powers... NOW... mean that it is not TRUE, dear EP (again, peace to you!)? Goes back to my question some time ago: WHEN is something TRUE? When it IS... or when we discover/SAY it is true? Was the earth TRULY flat... before it was PROVED round (okay, spherical)?

And if things are not really true until man says/discovers/"proves" it... how can we take issue with the changing "light" of those such as the WTBTS? Is not their position the same as yours: that "truth" is only what we understand at the time? I personally cannot agree with that. My position is that truth... is truth... no matter WHAT "we" may understand/think it is... whenever we understand/think it.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• tec
    tec

I'd like to throw down a guantlet here - I'll live my life without your god if you live your life without my science and we'll see whose life gets affected the most?

I'm not sure if that was for anyone, or someone in particular, but I guess I'm answering anyway :)

I don't have to choose. I have both. They are not in conflict. We may put them into conflict by understanding incorrectly, but they are not, themselves, in conflict. It is not one or the other.

Is there any doubt that magic thinking has held back scientific study?

Magic thinking... meaning fear and superstition; the urge to maintain power and control? Yes. I would agree with that.

My faith doesn't hold scientific study back though. On the contrary, GO. Learn! Study! Share! The things we learn about the world around us through science are facinating. So are the things that we learn from God, and Christ.

Is there any doubt that it is still holding back scientific study?

Same answer as above.

Does spiritualism / belief in evil spirits / acceptance of angels / worship of a god add anything of value to society's stock of actual useable knowledge (I will accept it makes a scary bedtime story as a starter) and if so what?

It does. (But like anything, it can also add harm, when abused... and many have abused it to control others and keep them under their thumbs.)

Hope. Peace. Love for others; even enemies. Selflessness. Loss of fear of things unknown; even of death. A seeking of things beyond the physical, so a broadening of thought and possibility. Comfort. Strength. Connection.

Has the scientific method produced real beneficial knowledge that you can see in your life?

Of course it has.

Peace,

Tammy

• cofty
    cofty

I don't have to choose. I have both

If you just make up your own version of science you can have both. Otherwise, yes they are in conflict.

Shelby - I know your language very well. I can speak it fluently. I took the time to learn science, it was very hard work but immensly rewarding. It's very frustrating to hear you and tec and others just making shit up and calling it science.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

tec - answering is fine but the invitation was to give some examples rather than just say yes! Your beliefs are still magic thinking since you define them as supernatural else you must define your god as natural. If your god is natural then what natural proofs are there of its existence? How would this universe look if it had been made by Krishna or from the uncarved block or from an earth diver? What is it that makes this universe best explained by your god and only your god?

• tec
    tec

That's the part that has absolutely ZERO scientific backing, no way to test (currently), no explanation better than the current standard model of particle physics (which, by the way, we KNOW is incomplete, one of the reasons the LHC was built) and has no predictive powers.

It barely meets the criteria for "hypothesis". There is no science or math to back it that I have seen. The math on that one site with about standing waves that is already well understood and utilized, it has nothing to do with creation of matter and energy.

Yes we know its incomplete; emergent; not tested... no way TO test... yet. Not enough understanding/investigation/tools/etc. Undeveloped, undiscovered... at least by the tools we have to physically observe things. So obviously I cannot create a scientific theory or hypothesis around it.

But like I said... it just helped me to see. To undertand. To get that glimpse. And as I have also said, it is hard to e x plain something when the terms/words aren't available because we aren't 'there' yet. Like trying to e x plain a genetic disease in chromosomes, to someone who doesn't even know there is such a thing as a cell, or DNA, or such things. Or that everything is energy to someone who has no concept other than what their physical sense tells them (that flesh is a solid thing... crazy to think that it breaks down into so many smaller things, lol)

You have to build up to that, and if you have knowledge of something that is more advanced than the terminology of the people you are trying to teach, then you teach it in a way that they can grasp.

And that is why I started talking about matter energy conversion. Compression waves absolutely can affect matter. It's called an explosion. those aren't standing waves, though, they are moving compression waves.

Cool. There's just probably far, far more to waves and energy, etc, than we can currently now. Of course there is.

And we aren't limited to our five senses. We have machines to measure things we can't detect. Again, there is zero science that I can find behind this standing wave idea changing matter to energy and vice versa.

Yes, but our machines are limited to what we can conceive of and create as well.

Well, yes, that's true about technology, but they don't use standing waves to get them smaller, they increase the sensitivity and density of things like transistors, switches and magnetic bits in platters. And use less energy to power the devices. I understand where you

are going, but the analogy doesn't make sense, at lease to me (you should be aware that density of information and management in computing and data storage is my field of work, so I understand that field VERY VERY well and technology and science behind it).

Oh, I wasn't trying to connect the two... just create an analogy (which you got) that our first creations of things are sometimes/often considered big and clunky compared to where we end up going with those same things, as our technology and science advance. I know your field.

Honestly, I might guess that we will one day get to the point where we don't need the machines and technology to do what we will be able to do ourselves.

No. They don't. They start out with "This is what I am seeing."

Well, I did not observe it personally. I was given a glimpse; shown something that helped me to understand. So I can't do this:

Then you come up with a hypothesis to explain it, a way to test the hypothesis and falsify it (if my hypothesis was "water is always liquid at 10 degrees centigrade" a way to falsify it would be to change the conditions of the test, namely pressure and temperature and see if I can prove my hypothesis wrong), take the results of multiple tests, see how that matches to observed reality, see if it can predict changes under different conditions, etc., and continue to winnow it down until your hypothesis either holds true under certain conditions OR prove it wrong. Either way you have learned something.

I can't do that because there was no test, and the science, tests, terms, etc... is not there yet.

Just a glimpse that helped me understand, and that I thought might help others to see something of a possibility.

Fundamentally, this is why I think so many people reject science (while at the same time reaping the benefits of it). It's hard work, you have to learn a lot, you prove yourself wrong, you open yourself to criticism on purpose and it could (and often does) destroy

cherished beliefs.

You could be right about some people. Probably not as many as you think, though. As for me, I don't reject science. But I also don't consider it gospel. (I mean, I don't consider the written gospels to be gospel either) The new things we learn from science changes and evolves our understanding of the world around us.

But I also do my best to listen to Christ. He showed me that it was possible that he could have risen in the flesh, and entered the spiritual realm... by shedding the flesh. (changing form so as to enter the spiritual) It might not be a complete understanding... just an e x planation in terms that I can understand, based on the knowledge I have at my disposal.

Peace,

Tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

but I don't know if some here are relating that it IS okay to believe in God... or spirits. Indeed, some are literally stating that neither IS okay.

Well, if someone says it's wrong or you shouldn't beleive in God, then I would argue all day that they are 100% wrong and defend your rights to do so all day. I would draw the line at saying those beliefs should relate to laws for me, however.

I don't know that any of us "want" to start talking so. We kind of don't have a choice... because that's the ONLY "language" some of YOU know, speak, and so will communicate in.

Come on, that's bullshit and you know. That's the language and methodology of how things are tested. I can talk theology all day. The problem is your theology that you KNOW is true is different from MyElaine's, or BOTR's or a devout catholic, or a devout JW or a devout Baptist. There is no method of agreement and consensus so half the time you theological folks are all talking different ideas about the same thing and telling each other who is wrong.

If Cofty, Bohm, JonathanH and I are all talking about gravity, we all use a common language and all know exactly what the other is talking about. If you want to join in, you have to know that language and ideas.

That's all. It's not that we can't speak the other languages, it's just that you are all speaking 10000 different languages.

And there you GO! It's like people ("Americans") who don't believe in learning another language... even if they're the visitors in a non-English country... because THEY believe English SHOULD be the ONLY language... and that others should learn to speak IT... to accommodate THEM... even in THEIR country. Imagine the world "scene"... if EVERYONE knew at least one... or two... other language(s). Nothing stopping us, though...except our own laziness... and/or paradigms... on the matter.

See above. I can speak your language all day. You all just can't agree on the language or what you are saying or what's right or true or anything else.

And, for the record, your link to the MW dictionary on the definition of "theory" belies your claim of willingness to learn scientific language. I know I personally have explained more than once to you what "theory" means in scientific parlance and I have seen others do the same. I know you are above average intelligence and yet you continue to act as if theory in common parlance means the same as in scientific. Very disingenuous of you, Shel. It doesn't demonstrate that willingness to learn you spoke of.

Still overlooks the spiritual, which is what this was about. Yes?

All I am saying is that if you want to have a theological discussion, you need to have a common framework of conversation. Same for sciene and any other subject. If you want to talk about fishing then and I am using computer programming terms and material...it's likely not relavent.

But isn't that EXACTLY what some of YOU did, here?

No. The OP wanted to talk about spirits. Fine, let's talk about them. Lots of people try to use scientific methods to prove they exist. There have been shows on them. You yourself once gave me instructions (which, incidentally, didn't work) on how to contact spirits that you said were scientific.

You may not like that particular aspect of spirits, but it was there and brought up in discussion.

And I think the OP was pushing a set of CD's. NC and I both got PM's from her urging us to buy the CD set. That's opinion, though, I could be wrong.

Why won't YOU "educate" yourselves... perhaps by asking questions (which is what the OP did!) versus ridiculing? Do some of YOU not use the parts of it YOU like... and reject the parts YOU don't?

Not at all. If someone says they have seen spirits, I will admit I don't believe them. If someone says they have seen a dog, I believe that since I know dogs exists. Spirits are an extraordinary claim that requires extraordinary proof. The trust level and proof requires is proportional and commensurate to the claim. If someone says they saw a black hole (something sciency thrown in there for you) or Halley's comet yesterday, I would have the same disbelief.

I don't reject it so much as require proof. If spirits and ghosts were a proven phenomenon that were well described and provable, I would be likely to beleive that person.

I suppose you could say I live atheistically as if there were no God, but I am intellectually more agnostic, if there is repeatable testable evidence of his/her/its existence, I would evaluate that accordingly.

When she SAID, "I don't know enough ABOUT science to put it in such terms."

I think you are talking about Tec, here. I think she knows and you do too that I like her quite a bit (and you too, for that matter), so I will respond as if you were referring to me.

I am not trying to rip Tec to shreds, but I AM trying to show that, when you start talking about things like spirits as energy forms or standing wave functions, there is absolutely a way to evaluate those claims AND be both open minded and skeptical at the same time. The two are not only NOT incompatible, they are both REQUIRED for science.

When you start talking about things like standing wave ideas (it's not even a hypothesis, much less a theory in the scientific sense) I am trying to give a sense of where that fits in the overall picture and relate it to things we DO understand and illustrate what would be required to even formulate a hypothesis and how the energies involved relate to things we all understand. That's all.

YOU are INVITED to learn our language. YOU have made it plain, under no extenuating circumstances... that you are NOT interested in doing so.

No, I already know it. Quite well. It's kind of like rebuilding 1960's and 70's muscle car motors. Yes, I know quite well how to do it. I have no interest in doing so again, however.

It's hypocrisy, dear one. And mean. And short-sighted. And... understandable. Because it's human... and of earthling man.

No at all. It's understanding both sides and seeing which one is a muddled mess of confused ideas, fundamantals that want to strip people of their rights, impose theocracy, reject knowledge, complete disagreement on basic ideas and reliance on the wisdom of sheepherders and which one has saved billions of lives and seeks to move forward.

It's not hypocrisy at all, it's just asking for proof just like I would of anything else.

It might feel mean, just like when I tell my youngest that no, he can't have a third piece of cake. Just like religion, I tell him no because I don't want to deal with the inevitable throwup all over the place (and sometimes on me).

But does the fact that there is no scientific backing NOW... and no way to test NOW... and no explanation better than the current standard model NOW, and no predictive powers... NOW... mean that it is not TRUE, dear EP (again, peace to you!)?

Nope, it doesn't mean that it's not true at all. You asked a great question. It may well be true. But there is no hypothesis, math, evidence, predictive powers or anything else. It MAY be true that we are just materialized color operating on the 49th vibration, but so far there is no evidence and the idea go against everything that is independently testable and provable.

When some evidence appears, I will re-evaluate. Until then, I won't simply think it might be true because I have no evidence. That is naive and gullable to the highest degree. If you think it makes sense to beleive something because there is no evidence it is true, you should trust me with your bank account and social security number because there no evidence I AM a Nigerian prince.

And if things are not really true until man says/discovers/"proves" it... how can we take issue with the changing "light" of those such as the WTBTS?

Well, for one, scientists (good ones, anyway) should be saying things like "Our current knowledge, evidence and testing leads us to this as our current understanding, the more we learn, that may change" and indeed, that is what they do. For TV shows (and we've had this discussion before), they often will state things in factual terms. Is that right or wrong? I dunno, it's TV. Should doctors not make a flu vaccine because we will have a better understanding of virii 10 years from now?

Of course, unlike the WTBS, they aren't telling you will die or shun your or cut you off from your family if you don't beleive magnatars exist and aren't claiming to speak for God, so there are three major differences right there. There are more, but that seems sufficient to disarm this fallacious line of reasoning that science is faith just like religion and scientist are just like the WTBS since what we understand changes. It's a silly and fallacious comparison.

Oh, and one final comment, if you are typing fast because you are in pain, take a break. It's not like the conversation is on a deadline. Or like we won't have it again :)

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I think some of what Shelby was saying, at least in part (apologies if I get this wrong), is that some of those claiming any kind of 'spirit' communication are reporting their own experiences and that we should at least consider it from their perspective . I would hope most folks would think it unreasonable to expect anyone to simply on the face of it accept that such communications are what is claimed for them, particularly as there is usually no objective evidence, however this doesn't make such communications delusional of necessity. That is unless one is of the opinion that such communications are impossible. That position is, for many people, including some scientists, somewhat open to debate.

I don't think it is wrong to suggest people such as the OP may be delusional or have some mental disorder which should be investigated, however to suggest that is definitely the case and that is the end of the matter, rejects the experiences of countless people who have had such experiences and consider them to be real and not delusional and in some instances their view has been supported by mental health professionals. If a person is hearing voices, is there a good chance it is a result of some mental disorder - of course there is. Should they consult a mental health professional? It would be wise, particularly if the person is a risk to others or themselves? Is this the only explanation? Personally, I don't think that is necessarily the case, but it is a prudent place to start.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit