The Watchtower is NOT a false prophet

by The Quiet One 179 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

A prophet means someone who speaks for God. Many mistake that for foretelling the future. But their speaking for God was by means of using the Bible. The apostle Paul was not one who foretold the future, he used the past and that was his means of speaking for God.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

waton, Yes in the 1920s - 1950s or so they did teach that the Great Tribulation went into a hiatus. But by the 1970s they had abandoned that teaching. Right? Even if they didn't abandon it the book of Revelation when speaking of those having come out of the Great Tribulation are talking about coming out something which has not happened (and from my atheistic view never will happen). The WT is incorrect in their interpretation of much of the book of Revelation.

Regarding the comment of "50 people that were living in 1909 are still alive today btw", it does not contradict my comment of "Everyone who was age 30 or older on January 1, 1930 are now dead and thus no one of them was ever part of a great crowd which came out of the great tribulation (nor who have any chance of coming out of the great tribulation) of the type mentioned in the book of Revelation!". I chose my words very carefully, for I know that some people who were alive in 1914 are still alive today - though all of them are under the age of 120 years. Another way of saying "Everyone who was age 30 or older on January 1, 1930 are now dead" is "Everyone who was born before January 1, 1900 is now dead".

The WT is still wrong for saying in the 1920s and on January 1, 1930 that millions alive then will never die and when they spoke of the millions they referring to the great crowd (and perhaps including the anointed ones). Their teaching of "millions now living will never" die was first proclaimed in the 1920s! 50 people is far less than millions, thus their prediction failed!

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Rattigan350, though the WT claims the word 'prophet' can merely mean someone who speaks for God by explaining the Bible, they are incorrect. At the very minimum the word 'prophet' (in the biblical sense) means someone who claims that God (or some other supernatural being) gave them the message they are speaking. All of the ones in the Bible which are called prophets are ones who claim that God gave them the message to them directly (or through an angel [such as in the book of Daniel] and/or through Christ [such as in the book of Revelation] - they are not merely explaining the words attributed to God in the scriptures.

The apostle Paul claimed to foretell the future. For example, he says that at the presence (or coming) of Christ those Christians who are dead will rise first and then those who are living, and that together they will meet the Lord in the air. Those specifics are not in the Hebrew Scriptures nor in the gospels.

He also clamed that his gospel (he wrote the words "my gospel") was given to him by the Lord and by so doing he claimed to be acting as a prophet for the Lord (whether Yahweh and/or Jesus). See Romans 2:16; 16:25; II Timothy 2:8. He clams to have received a revelation from the Lord Jesus Christ himself - see Galatians 1:12 (KJV) where he says "by the revelation of Jesus Christ". Note that the NIV says ".. from Jesus Christ." That verse in the NASB (Updated) says "For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ." By saying I neither received it from man, that includes not receiving it from scriptures penned by a man (or by men). If he received it from the scriptures or even from a living human prophet, at best he would be receiving it secondhand. But insists he received it firsthand from a being in heaven (whether God or Christ)!

The following are excerpts from Galatians chapter 1 [NASB (Updated)].

. 8But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

11For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

15But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased 16to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles ...

20(Now in what I am writing to you, I assure you before God that I am not lying.) "

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

OK how about apostate liars, who the bible says to not listen to.

They announced that they are modern day prophets and continued to say things that were false and unscriptural ie, 1914

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Rattigan350, regarding Paul claiming to be a prophet, at Galatians 1:12, besides the NIV, both the Holman Christian Standard Bible and the New Living Translation also say ".. from Jesus Christ."

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Rocketman123, you are right in saying the following.

OK how about apostate liars, who the bible says to not listen to.

They announced that they are modern day prophets and continued to say things that were false and unscriptural ie, 1914

The more I read the WT's literature the more false statements I see in their literature and the less reliable their literature appears to me. Matters are now at the point where I must fact check every statement I read in their literature before I consider it true (if I ever consider it true), unless I already discovered certain ideas stated by them to be true. Regarding their literature I must act in the way that Paul wrote that the ancient Boreans did - but not just in regards to Bible quotes and alleged Bible teachings, but in regards to all of the quotes by the WT and in regards to all of the definitions the WT gives (such as I did regarding the definitions of "cult", "apostate", "creationism", and "prophet"). At some point I will likely sell virtually all of the remaining books I have of the WT (but probably not for some editions of their NWT Bible, for comparison purposes).

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

I've seen this topic dissected in almost every possible way. Here's one more to add to the pile.

Consider the following trope: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ITakeOffenseToThatLastOne

Skeptic: Watchtower is a false prophet!

Watchtower: Hey, hey, hey, I am NOT a prophet!

Skeptic: Well, at least you don't deny being false

• waton
    waton

The " --MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE" that wt started to talk about in 1918, requires at least 2 million baptized and faithful jws to be present and be preserved at Armageddon.

If they existed, they would be 103 year old today. in 2034, 120 years past the enthronement in 1914, the age will be 116.

millions? may be 1 or 2, but not baptized witnesses. Lets face it,

By supporting, joining wt, you make yourself part of a false prophet entity.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

waton, you made great points in your post about those who existed in 1914 and 1918 and of how many of them are alive today. I also agree with your words of "By supporting, joining wt, you make yourself part of a false prophet entity."

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

"By supporting, joining wt, you make yourself part of a false prophet entity."

Correct you also make yourself an apostate scripturaly , an opposer to Jesus's instructions for preaching his new Kingdom order.

False prophet apostates who have taken on Jehovah's name and that of Jesus as identifying themselves as Christian Witnesses, not a very good thing to do. .

People who joined the JWs religion are really subservient and loyal followers of the men (GB) who started and sustained the organization, who were really disloyal sinners who were more personally endeavored to empower themselves with stature and self appealing glorification.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit