The Watchtower is NOT a false prophet

by The Quiet One 179 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

"Obviously the seven congregations which were composed of God's people..were directed by Jesus and God's holy spirit and yet they had many problems. How can this be? Jesus and the holy spirit can't make mistakes. Just because a person or a group of persons are directed by God's spirit does not mean that they will always follow the leadings of God's spirit. Moses didn't. David didn't. The Israelites didn't. The apostles didn't. At times they failed to follow the guidance of God's spirit which led to incorrect thinking or actions. And so there is a difference in being spirit directed and spirit inspired.Persons who were inspired by holy spirit to write the Bible did not make mistakes in those writings. However, these same persons, who were spirit directed, did not always follow exactly the leadings of God's spirit and so they did make mistakes. The Watchtower publications have not been written under inspiration of the holy spirit and so at times the things written may have to be corrected. By no means does this prove that Jehovah's Witnesses are not spirit directed..." (link at bottom of post) -- ..Or, I would add, that the essence of the message that was preached when you went out on the preaching work, that the Bible says this system of things will end, was wrong. Jesus said that people would prove that they were his disciples by preaching ''the good news of the kingdom'', which I'm sure you know means that his kingdom will bring peace to the earth by ending this system of things ("and then the end will come") that you can clearly see is not under Gods kingdom rule. Scripturally speaking, being a disciple of Jesus, as well as having 'love amongst yourselves', is not dependent on saying WHEN the end will come.. but it is dependent on telling people that it WILL come, and that it could be at any time in the near future, as you know. Jw's are trying to do this. Some may claim that the WT interpreted beyond what Jesus said, (by being specific in promoting a theory in that they said 1975 may/may not happen, otherwise known as a theory, of the exact year.. Or uninspired prediction if you like..) but so did his chosen disciples in the 1st century. (John 21:22, 23) (Luke 19:11) (Acts 1:6,7)... They may/may not have told anyone else about their idea, but even if they didn't, peoples lives did not depend on what they thought Jesus meant in these cited scriptures.. And who would risk being bloodguilty if they felt that they saw a clear interpretation of a Bible prophecy, that people needed to be warned about.. even at the risk of being wrong? Got to go, thanks for replying.. http://thetruthaboutthetruthaboutthetruth.blogspot.com/2006/12/are-jehovahs-witnesses-gods-spirit.html

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Iceltic - No, not wholeheartedly. But that makes no difference as to whether it could come true or not, as I am not a scholar.. I offer people a message based on what I believe, but since associating with the skeptics here on jwn, I believe nothing wholeheartedly.

• cedars
    cedars

I absolutely love the URL to this blog:

http://thetruthaboutthetruthaboutthetruth.blogspot.com/2006/12/are-jehovahs-witnesses-gods-spirit.html

If I were to set up a new blog countering the claims made on the above blog (which anyone could easily do by the way), it would obviously need to be called "thetruthaboutthetruthaboutthetruthaboutthetruth.blogspot.com" - hilarious.

Cedars

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

.Or, I would add, that the essence of the message that was preached when you went out on the preaching work, that the Bible says this system of things will end, was wrong.

but it is dependent on telling people that it WILL come, and that it could be at any time in the near future, as you know. Jw's are trying to do this.

I dont know if I would agree with you.

JW are specific as to when the time of the end started and were specific with certain dates. Being known as a JW ties you to the belief that God's Kingdom was born in 1914 and the resurrection began then.

The Apostles could be clearly identified as having Holy Spirit. As a JW you must reject all other forms of Christianity and predict their destruction as part of Babylon the Great. Warning people to flee from them.

Those other Christian groups may be in error in some of there teaching which as a JW you feel they will be held accountable for.

• Ding
    Ding

In Deuteronomy 18:20-22, Jehovah says that if a prophet predicts something in his name that does not come to pass, he is speaking his own messages and need not be fear.

If "speaking in Jehovah's name" is taken literally (as the WTS does), what OTHER group or individual in the last century has been making predictions in Jehovah's name (i.e. claiming to be Jehovah's spokesman) at all? Have ANY of the WTS' predictions in Jehovah's name come to pass?

I'm talking about things that are verifiable, not claimed invisible happens which are impossible to prove or disprove or generalities like "we live in troubled times," which are true of any age.

• wasblind
    wasblind

The Quiet one said " the Jehovah'a witnesses promoted a sense of urgency "

Your are correct the quiet one, Just like hananiah the prophet they taught a

falsehood

The jehovah witnesses claim to stick strickly by the bible, that's what they claim

the bible does not tell where the apostles taught the things they imagined or thought

you know what they say about the word ASSUME, with all due respect

the Jehovah's witnesses have made an ASS out of U not ME

not anymore

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

The Quiet One, the overlapping generation only came about, not because of a "refinement" but because their time on the original generation had expired. Can't you see it for what it is? JW's are merely attempting to salvage their last credible doctrine, because without 1914, I don't think they have anything, at least as far as interpreting prophecy goes.

Once the overlapping generation is proven false, maybe they will focus on what they always have focused, mainly no trinity, hellfire, etc.

At 7 million, they are already a reasonable force to be reckoned with.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

"I await the attacks on my character and intelligience for daring to present an opposing viewpoint with bated breath",

Oh I get it...you're one of those people who gets a raging hard-on from "persecution". Real nice.

As for your assumption that the WT is not a false prophet let's simplify:

The Watchtower said that "A" would happen before "blank" occurred.

"Blank" occurred and "A" didn't happen.

Bingo! False Prophet

It can't get any simpler than that.

Your welcome by the way.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I do not have the desire to trudge thru 7 pages of this, and many of you know I have gone thru this in the past...but prior to Nov of 1995, the Wt definitively stated it was God's promise of a new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 completely died out. They corroberated what they meant in many other WT articles, by saying a proof that the end was so close was the age of those born in 1914. Misunderstanding or whatever you want to write it off as, they stated tht it was God's promise that the new world would be here before the generation born in 1914 died off. I guess you can find some still around who were born then, so in that sense it hasn't failed except the WT has admitted that was the wrong interpretation...so their misunderstading/misinterpretation led to their false prophecying.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

The Quiet One said:

The generation that saw 1914, taking into account the new understanding of an overlapping generation being a better interpretation, hasn't passed away yet.

My reply: Pathetic attempt. The time to qualify is before your prohecy fails...not after. If we use the WT's definition of a false prophet (when used to evaluate others) they are most certainly a false prophet- they predicted an end date, claim to be God's sole channel of truth, claim their 'truths' are the Creator's promise...etc. If we use the WT's definition of false prophet when they are defedning themselves, then no one would be a false prophet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit