What history have you seen in the makeing???

by karter 120 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I saw the Challenger Shuttle explode in 1986.

Then, in 2003, I was in North Florida/Southern Georgia and waited to see Columbia come overhead. Kept waiting & waiting & waiting and nothing went overhead. Then, it came on the news that it too had blown up.

I made it a point to try to watch each Shuttle flight take off and land that I could, especially if it was live.

Skeeter

• wobble
    wobble

I was born in 1950, so I have seen most everything listed above.

I have also seen the total demise of the evil Watchtower Society/Jehovah's Witness religion.

Of course, that demise in the near future, but I have "seen the future " and this time, it really "works" !

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Yep, I've seen most everything mentioned too but always from a devout JW perspective. Which is: A callous disregard for the suffering in the case of tragedies, "proof the end is near" view.

In the case of freedom efforts the JW view is: Those people are wasting their time and lives.

In the case of new discoveries and inventions the thought is: God doesnt like it. Example: TV (devils eyeball) medicine (enough said) Space exploration: A conspiracy to try to prove evolution. Music: Forget about it.

The only thing I could be happy about was Hula Hoops, Barbie, and contact lenses.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Became "News aware" about 1960. Dad was a cold warrior and news hound. Huntley-Brinkly news team on EVERY night in our home.

The Kennedy family was always a subject of discussion. Cuban missle crises. JFK.

Duck and Cover & Cold War- HUGE impression on me as a kid. The neighbors had a huge bomb shelter installed in the front yard! I watched it be installed every day, it really disturbed me as a kid. I asked "when we would be getting one"..Dad just looked at me and said "waste of money..won't help". Dad was an "unbeliever" Veteran in the military reserves, and did high tech defense work. The FBI would make house calls. We had to watch what we said on the phone. He would disappear for months to countries "in the news" but never spoke about ANYTHING much. Other than he told me in the 70s JWs were a cult and he predicted the fall of the Berlin Wall a year before it happened, after one of his Moscow trips. Weird.

Vietnam..every night News event. Classmates killed. Draft for me. Demonstrations. Moon landings. Watergate. 1975 passing without a mention. Knorrs death. War of the Franzes.

So the fall of the Soviet East Block was an end of an era. No armagedon or war.

Personal computers. MS Dos. The internet. 9/11. The Financial CRASH.

Google. Watchtower Documents. Bill Bowen. JVN.

Historical events that changed MY world view.

• d
    d

I remeber 9/11 and the death of Mitchael Jackson and the Fort hood shooting and the train bombing in Spain in 2004.

• d
    d

I wonder how the Occupy protests will turn out.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I saw the Human Race reach 6000 years old in 1975

• d
    d

The death of Osama bin Laden.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The 1960s stand out the most for me. It may have just been my age. I was at Woodstock. It was romanitcized. Awesome stuff happened in the 1960s but awesomely bad things happened to in the 1960s. The assasinations alone were too much.

JFK, RFK, MLK, Malcolm X. And, as predicted, no one does tributes for the black students at Jackson State.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

CNN Update: The Governing Body of the Jehovah's Witnesses religion has just communicated to its members that their years of no blood transfusions and the practices of disfellowshipping and shunning is unscriptual and will no longer be practiced. (oops, sorry, I was just fast forwarding to a history making adjustment by WTBTS!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit