What history have you seen in the makeing???

by karter 120 Replies latest jw friends

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

Basically everything that happened since the early 80s when I was born. 9/11 definitely made the biggest impact in my mind though, I was a junior in high school then.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Gay marriage

Medical legal marijuana, I might be looking forward to that!

Google. Want to know something? Google it!

Facebook

itunes

• clarity
    clarity

Holy smoke Terry you really trumped me with your "got out of jail" but all of what you wrote and I'll raise you with......

Ration tickets

Pearl Harbour

Happy Gang

Green Hornet

Sam Spade

Innersanctum

Fibber Maggie & Molly

Our Miss Brooks

Superman

Wonder woman

I Love Lucy

Frank Sinatra - the women used to screem when he sang{skinny little devil!}

End of 2nd World War and the ticker tape parades

nylons

saddle shoes

turkish delight

orange crush float

jive dancing

television

King George of England died (Queen Elizabeth's father) school was closed that day!

Think I'll stop now

• AGuest
    AGuest

Virtually everything named here, dear karter (peace to you!), excluding anything before 1961 (when I was old enough to discern/understand, to some degree, what I "saw"). My first "historical" memory was the assassination of JFK. I remember watching the funeral as if I had done it a week ago. I would like to add a couple/few things that I think changed the world (and so "made history", IMHO) and if they're duplicates, please excuse:

• Color TV (well, Disney "World of Color")
    • Debit cards/ATMs
    • Frost-free refrigeration
    • Air conditioning
    • PC's
    • Pong/Atari
    • Video taping (vs. film)
    • Cable TV
    • Organ transplants
    • Lasik surgery
    • Cell phones
    • Microwave ovens
    • Dishwashers
    • Civil Rights Movement

Not necessarily in that order, of course!

Peace... and good thread!

SA, on her own...

• pontoon
    pontoon

And Neil Armstrong's parting words to Mission Control when leaving the moon were, "let's get this mother out of here!"

• MartynAndrew
    MartynAndrew

I remeber my first computer course in grade 9. The computers had not arrived yet, but the Commodore64 was a thing of beauty, with the cassette tape memory, probably astroids was the first game on board, space invaders was available in the arcade and pinball was pretty well done. We had to save connect with another computer out of town to print and come back the next day and at small program would be waiting, things like converting celcius to to farenhiet. If A is >100 goto 20...they did not seem to useful at first sight that is for sure. It is a cool part of history since I have seen the changes and have been part of the story, banking on line, school, work...lub it.

• karter
    karter

John Walker run 100 sub 4min miles.

Don garlits brake 6sec standing 1/4mile.

Steve Davis doing the 1st telervised 147 brake in snooker.

Mark Spits win 7 gold meadles at the olympic games.

Michael Schmaker win the F1 title 7 times.

• N.drew
    N.drew

The decade of the tatoo.

Tatoos aren't news but they use to be for the armed forces, jail and motor cycle gangs.

Now I sometimes see someone has treated herself to a new tatoo and she's 40.

My daughter (who didn't choose to follow mommy into "the truth") got herself her loser boyfriend's name tatooed across her beautiful back. They are not together. Now she has a name she must explain for the rest of her life.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No one quoted or posted Billy JOel's big hit, We Didn't Start the Fire. I enjoyed a history song for the masses. Probably a lot of people learned some new history. I liked the way he juxtaposed pop happenings with heavy history.

Without seeing it myself, I have vivid memories of the Cuban Missile Crisis. They taught us in school that we would die if it were not settled. A Cuban emigre who knows the history says the most would have happened was a small land war. We had to practice nuclear air raid drills for many hours in school. Air raid shelters were really hot. I was just a kid but I had to have a map of all air raid shelters for anyplace I routinely went. Adlai Stevenson unveiling the covert photos of the Cuban missle site was just chilling. Strangely, I have no recall of the Bay of Pigs. Just a mention.

The other big deal was the TV coverage of the Berlin Wall growing up. Class work stopped during that period. I saw people be arrested when they hid in car parts. Others climbed up to the highest buildings over the construction and jumped. The West Berlins must have piled a thousand mattresses to try to catch them. People did dare devil things to escape. I recall one family escaped in a hot air balloon. The desperation grew as the wall grew.

Another chilling thing was to watch was the SCLC campaigns in the deep South. I vividly recall dogs turned on young school children in Birmingham. Saw the Freedom Riders progress. The violence was phenomenal and all here in the land of freedom. I remember Cheney, Shwerner and Goodman being killed. Martin Luther King was treated as evil incarnate. No one seemed to notice the nonviolence of the campaign. Aside from reporters and some Northerners, the hatred was so intense.

I remember the Black Muslims as an alternative to MLK. Oh, I used to hang around with the Black Panthers and SDS but never trusted them an inch.

Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky. John Edwards and his baby mama. The Senator in the bathroom soliciting gay bathroom sex. If someone had written a novel, people would just laugh.

I worked in Gene McCarthy's campaing in 68, was switching to Bobby Kennedy but we know what happened, worked in every presidential campaign.

Used to go up to Central Park in the 1960s by Bethsaida Fountain where all the hippies and suburban kids had a happening every weekend. Only not much happened. It was sort of the Easter Parade with everyone looking at everyone else.

Saw Shakespearean actors practice a sword fight in Central Park. Very unusual.

• designs
    designs

Band- Your mentioning of the Black Panthers gave me a flashback. My pioneer buddy and I had spent the summer of 1970 in Europe and on the flight back I read the news that George Jackson had been killed in Soledad Prison. Heavy times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit