What history have you seen in the makeing???

by karter 120 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the financial crisis beginning in 2007. We have endured a crisis at the scale of the great depression of the 1920s and 30s. This will be discussed and analyzed for many years to come.

I remember a fear that was unique to anything I was familiar with. I had the same unsettling feeling after 9/11 and after the blackout that occurred in the northeast in 2003.

• poppers
    poppers

The first thing that came to my mind was actually witnessing Sputnik fly overhead in 1957 when I was 6 years old; I can still picture where I was - standing outside at night with my family at the intersection half a block away and looking up at the night sky and being amazed by the sight. Can't say I actually eyewitnessed any other real history first hand, but of course saw lots of stuff on TV, like the assassination of Lee Harvey Oswald, moon shots, coverage of JFK's funeral, coverage of the Cuban Missile Crisis (which scared the bejesus out of me).

• karter
    karter

The New Zealand All blacks win the rugby world cup the 3rd time and 2 in a row.

Karter.

• cofty
    cofty
    ha! Congratulations. Late night/early morning for you.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    The ice storm of 98 huge black out in Ontario and Quebec.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Saw failed terrorist attack in Glasgow in 2007. Jeep less than 10 metres away from me. (I was standing next to the lamppost in far left of picture waiting to be picked up)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Glasgow_International_Airport_attack

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

The big freeze of 1962-3, the year the higher Thames froze. It started snowing on Boxing Day I remember and the snow lay on the ground for months. I was four but I can remember running outside with my brother and sisters because it was snowing.

My dad took us to school in January, I remember having to step in his foot prints because the snow was so high. Being a child and in the Midlands it was only years later I found out part of the Thames froze over. It happened a lot in the 18th and 19th centuries. They used to have fairs on the frozen river, but I don't think it's happened since '63.

http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/windsorhistory/freeze63.html

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    Karter good for you!! Was born 2 years too late to see last time my beloved, albeit lousy, Cleveland Indians won the World Series. Planning on many more years, but don't think it will happen in my life time.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    I still think the 1969 moon landing was the best. Watched it on a black and white tv with rabbit ears in the wilds of Canada.
  • bohm
    bohm

Fall of the Berlin wall (though I did not understand it at the time) and 9/11.

It is a bit scary to think about what else we are going to see. Seems like it is about one "moment in history" every 20 years so it would appear we are nearly due.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit