What history have you seen in the makeing???

by karter 120 Replies latest jw friends

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Terry: In 1969 I was released on parole from Federal Prison and I got married! That was the beginning of the end.

Too funny! I like your sense of humor!!!! ... You were joking, right?

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

I saw the plane hit the south tower and the towers fall from right across the river. I knew (as most probably did) that the world was gonna change forever.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake. I was on the third floor of a fabric store less than a block east of Union Square in San Francisco. My husband (this was about two years before we met) was on a BART train in the transbay tunnel on his way to Oakland. Yep he was under the bay when the earthquake hit.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I looked up in my back yard and saw Challenger explode.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

JAGUARASS - Wow. That was a big one for me, and I only saw it on a TV in high school. At the time,we were all looking forward to the first teacher in space teaching a class from Challenger.

On 9/11 I saw the second tower get hit on TV. At the time, I was less than 30 miles from NYC.

The whole thing was so surreal, I drove to a spot where the NY skyline was usually clearly visible, only to see a plume of smoke rising into the clear September sky...

Unfortunately, my sister who lives in Brooklyn and works in Manhattan saw the second plane hit on her way into work. She just turned around and went home.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

ex360,

I was way uptown and saw the planes hit on TV. May I ask if you had any long-term PTSD symptoms from seeing it live? I knew some people who saw it live and they were much worse than other people. One of my problems was that I had to go for medical appts to Bellevue and walked past all the flyers on the construction wall. The Wall of Hope soon became the Wall of Prayer. There were thousands of flyers.

Watching TV, I saw no one coming into the trauma center at st. Vincent's. It sobered me quickly.

Another feature that annoyed me no end were the restaurants advertising they were donating proceeds to the rescue efforts at Ground Zero and to the families of the deceased. B/c of my training, I politely asked what percentage. The signs were so huge I expected a 1/3 donation at least. Typically, 1 or 2% was donated. And who knows if that amount ever made it anyplace.

I recall that people at Ground Zero could talk about dog therapy and the Red Cross. They were ordered not to discuss details of what they saw. It must have been horrific beyond belief. When the subway service resumed,my mom ran up to 14th Street to take the subway. The Tv showed Guiliani and all these officials about how great it was that the subway was running. She was cut off before the entrance by the NYPD and told not to enter the system. It was very unsafe but they could not share details. I wonder if we heard any of the very bad stuff.

I've seen lots of history in the making, but I think the most relevant history that I was a "witness" to was the failure of the October 1975 Armageddon prediction. I was a little kid, and I was scared as hell that I wasn't going to make it. I was having nightmares about it!

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

BotR - Yeah it was pretty tramatic. We literally had debris flying onto the roof we were standing on when we watched it. I remember every second of that day, it was so surreal. I still can't watch any footage on TV of those days; when it gets near the anniversary and there is gonna be lots of TV coverage I don't even watch the news much or any of the specials cause it messes with me. I'm sure there are lots of people with similar experiences though.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Spider Robinson - love his stuff. Especially Callahan

Well, I remember Kruschchev pounding his shoe at the U.N., the cold war

Collapse of the Soviet empire, fall of the Berlin wall

End of the war in Korea, end of the war in Vietnam, Nixon going to China, Taiwan out of the supreme council or whatever it is called in the U.N. and China in, overnight.

Landing on the moon, Challenger disaster

Nixon resigning, Kennedy shot

The real biggie - the internet and how it has changed the world

a black U.S. president

Arab spring

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Looking at some of your lists, I remember the Bay of Pigs, civil rights, Brown vs. the Board of Education was just before I became very news-aware, I remember the Shah of Iran fleeing Iran and dying of cancer in NY. 9/11, of course, very shocking and disturbing. And the one in the U.K., was that 7/7? And the one in Spain, the train disaster.

Big earthquakes. Imelda Marcos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit