Heaven and Hell : Life after death

by bioflex 84 Replies latest watchtower bible

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Vander...

you said: "Note that Jesus used the fraudster as an example for believers to follow in earning heavenly rewards. Think about it.

Vander

P.S. Again, let's look at the other scriptures, one passage at a time, once we deal fully with the passage at hand...to be sure we are not letting assumptions pass for truth."

considering that Jesus was talking about failure NOT victory, and unrighteous mammon NOT true "riches", isn't it in keeping with the general thrust of scripture that Jesus was referencing the everlasting habitation called hell?(luke 16:1-9) and since other scriptures spoken by Jesus reference a place of burning torment,(luke 16:24) how can one ignore these scriptural motifs (contained in the words and lessons OF Jesus Christ) without first assuming that something other than what IS stated is the truth?...

love michelle

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I had this arrangement with a friend of mine, that if one of us would come back to tell the other one what Heaven was like. My friend unfortunately died first. One night he woke me up and said, "Hey QB, I'm here to tell you all about the afterlife", I was startled at first, but curious and asked him for more information. He said, "Well, I wake up have sex, eat , then it's off to the golf course, then eat, and lots of sex, and the golf course. The next day it's just a repetition". I said, " What? There is sex in heaven?" He said, "Well, you see, QB, I'm a rabbit."

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Michelle,

Re: Jesus used the fraudster as an example for believers to follow in earning heavenly rewards.

<<considering that Jesus was talking about failure NOT victory, and unrighteous mammon NOT true "riches", isn't it in keeping with the general thrust of scripture that Jesus was referencing the everlasting habitation called hell?(luke 16:1-9)>>

Actually Hades is not an everlasting habitation for anyone. It will be emptied of people and then destroyed...along with death. (Rev 20:13,14)

<<since other scriptures spoken by Jesus reference a place of burning torment,(luke 16:24) how can one ignore these scriptural motifs (contained in the words and lessons OF Jesus Christ) without first assuming that something other than what IS stated is the truth?...>>

You must be looking at both the commending of a fraudster story and the account of Lazarus and the rich man as historical narration, rather than "satire". If we look at the literary form as historical narration, then we might wonder why Jesus told these stories...especially the latter, because, except for a twist at the end, the Pharisees told virtually the same story repeatedly to keep the poor in their place.

Why do you think Jesus told these two stories?

Really Jesus told 5 stories consecutively to a mixed audience consisting of his disciples, various respected religious leaders, as well as publicans and sinners. (Luke 15:1) The first 3 parables, the lost sheep, the lost coin and the lost/prodigal son, were definitely stories designed to provide comfort for the oppressed common people in the audience who needed to hear that God was seeking them and rejoicing over their movement toward repentance. The remaining 2 stories on the other hand, did not bring comfort to anybody. Who do you think they were designed to bring discomfort to? If you say the Pharisees; why should these 2 account bring discomfort to them? How do they (the Pharisees) fit into these narrations?

Vander

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Oops, sorry, my error Michelle; you did not associate Hades with eternal habitations. My bad.

• bioflex
    bioflex

@Vanderhoven7:

Hope you are enjoying your coffee and computer time at the cafe' Bioflex :

I actually enjoy but a few things, and one of them is learning about God. Hoping 2 pay my bill by next week.

i guess its safe to assume there is going to be a form of torment but we dont know how long its going to be right? if thats the case them what do you say of Revelation ( 14 to be specific)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit