Heaven and Hell : Life after death

by bioflex 84 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Who invents this stuff? It wasn't in the Old Testament, that's for sure.

Guess what!

The Pharisees got it all from the Greeks!!

tartarus

lake of fire

aoinios ton aoinios (forever and ever ringside god seats)

injurious fire that does not consume

hangnails

and a few things their church fathers left out (and not because they were conservative clips))

familiar spirits (well to be honest those showed up about the time of gnomes)

Forgive me. I'm Irish.

Dogz

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Dogpatch,

Thanks for joining in.

<<Christians should believe in hell. If they believe in Inerrancy. >>

On this we agree. What we disagree on is the nature of the hell of scripture.

Hey, we agree on something else as well.

As my wife has repeated to me often in so many words: "I could never love a God who is into torture."

Now if I read the following in my Bible, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

And the wages of sin is eternal suffering in hell.

Day and night for all eternity, the wicked will

call out for mercy, but there will be none to save.

Their immortal souls will writhe in endless pain

Their anger will never dissipate. They will weep

and howl in the fires of eternity, aware of their

loss, their endless future, with no one or nothing

to comfort them. Jehosaphat 3:16

V ander

• tec
    tec

Ooh, scary Vander. Puts what we do have into some perspective, I would think. Since we don't have anything so clear as that, as regards to eternal suffering and torture.

Peace to you,

Tammy

• Chalam
    Chalam

"Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead fear the one who can destroy both body and soul in hell."

Man is made in the image of God, triune 1 Thessalonians 5:23

Notice that nowhere does the bible ever mention the spirit being destroyed, only the body and soul.

Regarding the spirit and death, the spirit leaves the dead body

James 2:26

English Standard Version (ESV)

26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead

2 Corinthians 5:8

8 Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

Revelation 20:10

10 and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

These three are spirits, see below.
    Revelation 16:13-14

13 And I saw, coming out of the mouth of the dragon and out of the mouth of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet, three unclean spirits like frogs. 14 For they are demonic spirits, performing signs, who go abroad to the kings of the whole world, to assemble them for battle on the great day of God the Almighty.

Destruction implies an end to something, yes?

Clearly, the body.

Isaiah 66:24

24 "And they shall go out and look on the dead bodies of the men who have rebelled against me. For their worm shall not die, their fire shall not be quenched, and they shall be an abhorrence to all flesh."

Blessings,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

Ghouls and Gobblins and Witches Brew my pretty hehehe hehe...

Wicked Witch of the West

• tec
    tec

Clearly, the body.

But Stephen, then how does this make sense:

Instead fear the one who can destroy both body and soul in hell."

Peace,

Tammy

• designs
    designs

tec-

You are trying to reconcile a religion and culture that spanned from the early Bronze Age to the Late Bronze and from sects within that culture that were extremely superstitious to progressive philosophers.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Maybe I should have written "C learly, the body and soul".

The point I made is that nowhere in scripture is the spirit destroyed, only the body (and soul).

" And they shall go out and look on the dead bodies of the men who have rebelled against me. For their worm shall not die"

Blessings,

Stephen

• Chalam
  • designs
    designs

The Sadducees, who are given a bad rap in the NT, did not believe in Immortality or a Resurrection why, because the Torah did not teach such ideas. These alien ideas came from outside Judaism and became part of the Religion post the Second Temple period. The Wisdom Book Ecclesiaticus (200BCE) is an example of Hellenistic influence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit