Victoria, Australia: October 11th hearing. All five cases made it through the court...just!

by AndersonsInfo 89 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe
    I still don't get why there wouldn't be a transcript. Isn't there ALWAYS a transcript in all court sessions?

No.

• sizemik
    sizemik

FYI . . .

Types of Hearings

Mention

A mention hearing is an administrative hearing of a case to allow a magistrate to follow the progress of the proceeding. The accused is also given the opportunity to plead guilty at this hearing.

Contest Mention

A hearing where all parties and the magistrate try to decide whether a case can be resolved by finding common ground between them. This is the hearing before the matter proceeds to a summary hearing.

Summary Hearing

A summary hearing will take place if the accused pleads not guilty to the charge(s). At this hearing, both parties present their case to the Court and a magistrate will determine the outcome.

Ex parte Hearing

A hearing conducted in the absence of the accused. A magistrate will proceed to hear and determine a charge against the accused, based on the evidence of the police or other informant and any other witnesses for the prosecution.

Filing Hearing

This is the first hearing in the committal process. At this hearing the Court will set a timetable for the exchange of information between the prosecution and the defence and dates for matters which will ultimately be determined in a higher jurisdiction. Applications for bail may also be lodged at this time.

Committal Mention

A preliminary hearing prior to the full committal hearing. Permission to cross-examine witnesses may be given, matters in dispute will be discussed and a date for the committal hearing can be set at this stage. The Court may also hear and determine some charges if the accused pleads guilty.

Committal Hearing

A hearing where a magistrate will hear evidence of the prosecution and decide whether a properly instructed jury would convict the accused. This is the last hearing a matter will have before it proceeds to a higher jurisdiction.

Re-hearing Application

If a magistrate determines a matter in the absence of the accused, the accused can make an application to the Court for the order to be set aside and re-heard. The accused needs to serve their application on the informant (the person who charged them) and then a new hearing date will be scheduled for the magistrate to decide whether or not to grant the application. If they do, the case continues as a case normally would, with the accused having the option of pleading guilty or not guilty.

An application to drive pending a rehearing application must be served on the informant at least seven days before the application is to be heard.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Thanks to Barbara for posting this info.

• steve2
    steve2

Thank you Barbara for posting this information. I have been away for the past few weeks so am just catching up....

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney
    I still don't get why there wouldn't be a transcript. Isn't there ALWAYS a transcript in all court sessions?

No.

So the next day, or week, or month, they have to just REMEMBER what happened?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There may be an official summary. A record must exist. Judges hear a multitidue of cases. The pleadings must exist.

• steve2
    steve2

I understood that, nowadays, all court hearings are routinely audio taped as distinct from a written transcript also being provided in many instances. So, when reference is made to there being no (written) transcript, it does not mean any party is free to make claims about what was said at a specific hearing.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

She could merely have asserted that FDS is a theological construct, not amendable to suit or she could have meant there is no FDS. If there is no FDS, why a GB? I would expect them not to show up. It might depend on the sexiness of the Australia property.

How many Witnesses will believe such an admission was made? (if it were). I fear the compliance now might moot the case or lessen the damages.

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

From the start of this post until now seems like an eternity. I'm very anxious for Nov. 8th to reveal itself. On the other hand I dread the fact that it will probably mean an extesion of the process, as I know the wheels of justice turn slowly....either way it goes. Anyone else feeling a little anxious??

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

with the amount of times I have spent in court, on either side of the aisle, I learned a long time ago, it's hurry up and wait. Impatience can kill u and your case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit