Are YOU a Believer, Atheist, Agnostic, Active JW or WHAT?

by Greybeard 82 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Raised in a 'divided household,' went as far as becoming an elder,'stepped down'....

Now I am 'mentally out' but show up for (most) meetings and put a couple of hours of Starbucks in every month...

I would consider myself to be an agnostic/atheist.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I was JW from 12 to 21 but parents are not JW.

I have tried other churches and enjoyed Unity & Science of Mind the best, as they are non judgemental accept all people etc and all religions. I consider myself a spiritual person and not a religious person. I do not believe Christ is our savior but I respect him and highly regard him as a highly evolved human along with Buddah, Ghandi, Mother Theresa etc.

My fiance is Native American and I have learned a lot from him. I honor and respect the Native American culture because they respected the earth, and were a very spiritual group of human beings.

I cannot stomach the belief that so-called loving God only accepts a small portion of the earth's population that are European Christian based beliefs, while ignoring or judging millions of other humans who have different cultures and beliefs based on their geographic location. There are millions of wonderful people out there who have better morals, are not hypocrites, and truly love their fellow mankind which is nothing like the JWs.

If we are to be judged by a higher being, it won't be based on what church building we attend.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I'm an atheist, and probably would have been one from a VERY early age, if I hadn't been bullied/beaten/battered into the Watchtower cult from the age of 5 years old...

Around the age of 7 - 8, an elder read Exodus 19: 16-19 from the podium, and I would have been an atheist from that point on, if I were allowed any REAL freedom...

My resistance to the indoctrination led to a lot of beatings, let me tell you. My only regret is that I didn't realize [when I was a teenager...] that I could have called up my dad's NON-Jehovah's Witness relatives and asked THEM for help.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Hi Zid, Started at 13 left at 23, walked away with my wife some 47 years ago! We are non believers .........what other sane option is there! Called myself an agnostic for a number of years....grew a pair and started calling it what it was......bull.

We live on a planet that is 3 to 4 billion years old in a universe that is 13.5 billion years old. I am descended from humans that might be 200,000 years old and I am supposed to believe what a bunch of Hebrews wrote down 3500 years ago?

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I got sucked into the cult through informal witnessing. DA myself over 2 years ago and consider myself and agnostic. Bible definitely isn't God's word if there is such a being as God.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Giordano! [Waves!! ]

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

I was born in. Faded at 18. Converted to Catholicism at 26. Left that at 28 after trying without success to believe in Jesus- I really tried... Now at 32 I am an agnostic, and working toward converting to Reform Judaism. I like the community worship and service along with the freedom to question and no pressure to believe anything specific.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Born Roman Catholic, but my parents converted when I was 6. I got baptized at 13 (at the age of mature reason), and was a faithful until I hit 47. It was my deep personal study that made me question the character of God, and I came to the same conclusion than Richard Dawkins, that " The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
    From there I went on to studying what evolution REALLY said, and I'm now an atheist, with still some sense of spirituality -- that I credit nature for.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I haven't gained sufficient proof of anything that will move me from being agnostic.

If, in fact, God exists then what I've learned about him gives me the creeps.

• startingover
    startingover

So why do you ask?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit