Are YOU a Believer, Atheist, Agnostic, Active JW or WHAT?

by Greybeard 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Still-in, born-in JW, but athiest/agnostic at heart.

I do wonder about the existence of god and won't deny it, but I hate the bible and have no respect for it, or it's god.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

DA'd from the Org. Born Again Christian, 8 years ago and counting. Peace, Lilly

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Let me see.

I´m a Gnostic, according to this:

"The religious Believer and the Atheist have both a belief built on ideas and conclusions. The Atheist believes there is no God and the believer believes there is a God.

The Agnostic has no prejudice and no biased opinions favorable or infavorable (about the possibility of the existence of God) and has no interest into finding out. The Gnostic is very similar to the Agnostic, with the distinct difference that the Gnostic has an inner need to search for the answer, to find out, e.g. through meditation."

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Was an Agnostic all my life until learning the full catastrophe of the World According to the WBTS courtesy of my wife and am now a rabid Atheist.

• SyntaxError1974
    SyntaxError1974

I am an active JW, MS. I have a talk about every other week. Was raised a JW. My wife is a reg pioneer. So why am I here?

Well, as I'm teaching my 6 year old daughter our beliefs I started thinking. How do I know this is the "truth"? I mean, what I veil was taught to me by my dad. I'm sure he wouldn't lie to me anymore than I would lie to my girl. But if she is going to grow up hanging on every word I teach her, then I have a responsibility to make damn sure I'm right first.

How do I know if what I believe is right? I guess according to my teachings I'm supposed to read the bible, and study my publications more. But I am now asking myself, how does reading the same side of an argument over and over PROVE that it is true? Don't you prove something by contrasting it against the opposing side? But we are not allowed to do that are we?

So, out of duty to make sure my daughter is correctly informed, I have to come here to take in opposing viewpoints.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well done SE74 ! your love for your daughter is greater than the hold the cult has on you,and so it should be.

I didn't teach my kids much of the WT bilge, I answered their questions, in the main, with how I saw things, not with WT speak, or seen through WT spectacles.

They now thank me for that, and I believe love and respect me for it. I was once told by an Elder that they needed to speak with me, as I was a M.S at the time, to ascertain if I had properly "studied" (read indoctrinated) with my kids, who had stopped attending by then. They never got baptised, thankfully.

I told the Elders to go jump, and promptly resigned as a M.S

Your duty as a parent is to love your child, to tell her the truth as much as possible, and to put her welfare first. I am sure you will do that, and do that well, and she will return your love manyfold.

As to the thread title question, I am a Born Again Atheist. When I was born I had no beliefs, then JWism was pushed in to me, now I only trust that something is true if it can be proven. So I do not hold beliefs.

Belief=Delusion. Not a comfortable mental state.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I was born in. I escaped when I was 31.

If I believe in anything it would be in the bible and Jesus. Nothing like what the JW's teach.

I feel that belief is a matter of faith.

We all have the same facts, the challenge is to discern the facts and then how we interpet the facts.

If I were to take an on the spot inventory of what I have been exposed to and tally it up, I believe the score

would be 51% God 49 % no God.

I keep telling myself I need to make a matrix and score the information and facts. It sounds simple.

But I think it would be an enormous never ending job. And the resulting material would be enough

to publish a masive book.

When I say 51% God 49% no God. The God I am talking about is not the Jehovahs witness God.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Wow.

Syntax, you put more emotional maturity and intellectual integrity into one post than the vast majority of JW dads do in years of service to the WTS.

I had a similar experience; I realized that I couldn't - in all honestly - teach my kids something that I could never fully embrace myself...

Remember the old Jesuit axiom? "Give me your child for 7 years and I will have him for a lifetime..." (paraphrasing, but that's the gist).

I made the conscious decision to not have them conditioned from infancy like I was, and I've never regretted it once.

PS: I'm mostly agnostic at this point, but I'm occasionally inclined to believe in a vague, nonsectarian sort of afterlife for good, decent people who've died (particularly young victims of violent crime, which infuriates me).

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Welcome here, Syntax Error! You have made an impact already.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Hi Syntaxerror, and welcome. I too am an active (as little as possible), in stealth mode, and of the Concious Class and slowly fading MS trying to wake up my wife. Have you visited jwfacts.com?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit