Are YOU a Believer, Atheist, Agnostic, Active JW or WHAT?

by Greybeard 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I wonder why!

• cofty
    cofty

I guess he never completed his journey. I got stuck there for 9 years.

"I'm a Believer/Christian former JW"

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Why is only one destination (atheism) acceptable? Maybe we are all on different journeys to different places.

• cofty
    cofty

I didn't say atheism you did.

To value evidence and eschew superstition is the only way to avoid being suckered.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

We are all a sucker to something. Materialism is your opium of choice.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I believe there are multiple ways to avoid being suckered. Scientists are suckered. Everyone who is human can be fooled. History is full of scientific blunders. It does not invalidate the process. I can respect science and mysticism at the same time.

A friend worked in the frauds unit in New York. Criminals who commit fraud often leave detailed plans describing the con rather than burning the evidence. Science may make you more resistant. We are still human. Perhaps we don't fall for obvious scams. I admit that I sometimes fall victim to sophisticated scams. Scientists are victims, too. It does usually happen to poorly educated people but no one is immune.

The only one to never be a victim is to never trust or risk anything.

• cofty
    cofty
    Materialism is your opium of choice.

On the contrary. When Karl Marx wrote that "religion is the opium of the people" he was not complaining about religion, but about the quality of life that made religion attractive to numb the pain.

Religion provides comfort. An evidence-based worldview refuses the opium and faces reality squarely.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Groan......................I love these threads............

And by the way, atheism isn't a belief, it's a lack of belief. It can only exist along side the argument of believers.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

........sorry, I went out of topic

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

It seems to me the OP was asking what people are - not to justify it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit