SERIOUSLY is there one JW publication that you thought was good?

by TimothyT 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

I liked the Greatest Man Book. I thought it was very informative and unbiased. A good summary of the gospels.

(Yay... i know how to insert pictures now! )

Did you like at least one of the books, or did you think they were all trash?

Timmy x

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I thought the best book they ever printed was the commentary on James. Albeit with the JW spin.

I later heard it was looked down upon by the GB as Ray Franz had a hand in it.

• Eclectic
    Eclectic

I like some sentences. For instance:

Beware of "organization." It is wholly unnecessary. The Bible rules will be the only rules you will need. Do not seek to bind others' consciences, and do not permit others to bind yours. Believe and obey so far as you can understand God's Word to-day, and so continue growing in grace and knowledge and love day by day. (Watch Tower 09/15 1895, p. 216)

Build your hope on Scriptural truth, not on the imaginations of imperfect men. (Watchtower 1/1 1968, p. 6)

You may wisely decide against putting your trust in imperfect men and their fallible predictions and promises. (Watchtower 3/15 1966, p. 168)

However, to gain accurate knowledge of God’s personality, each individual needs to open God’s Word, the Bible, and examine it for himself. Do not passively allow others to mold your thinking. (Watchtower 5/1 2009, p. 6)

These helped me to realize that I must be careful with GB's teachings.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

They are all good. Good for lighting the fire... as compost in the garden... using as a wheel chock to stop your car rolling down the hill- all excellent uses for WTS publications. I used to read the 'Aid' book when I was very young, and I thought it was great, but really the pseudo-scientific reference books they print are biased, and possibly written to deflect people away from real Bible research.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

I later heard it was looked down upon by the GB as Ray Franz had a hand in it.

I think it was written by Ed Dunlap.

Bangalore

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Bangalore - Thanks for the heads up. Dunlap, Overlap...oooOOOooHHHh!

There are of course some blinkin' hilarious quotations that show how daft the WBT$ writing is.

My current top faves:-

*** kj 377 20 Land of Magog No More to Threaten Mankind ***The unburied dead, those slain by Jehovah, will be so enormously many that even the carrion birds and scavenging wild beasts could never take care of their consumption. The burial of even what remains after these lower creatures have their fill would be stupendous. Doubtless the Almighty God will use some highly scientific means, whether including antimatter or not, to dispose of the surplus of decaying bodies in a speedy and sanitary way. This remains for the survivors of the war of the great day to see and witness.

*** yw 322 12 The "Prince" of the Sanctuary Stands Up *** In this prophecy God warns that he will also use other natural forces that are at his disposal, possibly a rain of antimatter that has the property of annihilating any material thing that it meets. He warns all scoffers that he

*** yw 323 12 The "Prince" of the Sanctuary Stands Up ***25. How could Jehovah God use these cosmic rays to affect the king of the north and the king of the south, and what other natural force might he use in his work?

"The face of the deep, of course, would be toward the Pleiades, which are claimed to be the habitation of Jehovah." (Creation; 1927; 2,175,000 ed.; p. 94)

"The constellation of the seven stars forming the Pleiades appears to be the crowning center around which the known systems of the planets revolve even as our sun's planets obey the sun and travel in their respective orbits. It has been suggested, and with much weight, that one of the stars of that group is the dwelling-place of Jehovah and the place of the highest heavens;..." (Reconciliation; 1928; p. 14)

"The constellation of the Pleiades is a small one compared with others which scientific instruments disclose to the wondering eyes of man. But the greatness in size of other stars or planets is small when compared with the Pleiades in importance, because the Pleiades is the place of the eternal throne of God." (Reconciliation; 1928; p. 14)

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Yes Dunlap wrote it. My dad loves that book. He said it was special and well written. Im sure Franz had a hand in it too. Probably a good reason to look at it then.

Eclectic: They are some good quotes. Its interesting isnt it that sometimes the society throws in something which condemns itself. We pick up on them straight away. I doubt the average JW does though. :(

Transhuman68: HAHA! You forgot door stop and car booster seat. Lol

• irondork
    irondork

I really enjoyed the Daniel book. Always been a bit of a history buff. I have since learned it has a bunch of holes in it, like everthing else from the WTS. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I always like the Commentary on the letter James. It's a shame they didn't do many scripture by scripture commentaries.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Irondork... i did enjoy the Daniel book too. I love history and i enjoyed the way the Daniel book presented it all. I thought then and of definately think now that some of the JWs ideas of it were a little skewed. Perhaps i should do a study of the book of Daniel again and see what bible scholars such as Barnes and Clarke think about those prophecies. That would be interesting.

Cantleave: Yes... my dad often said the same. Why cant we have more verse by verse discussions. Reading the bible in context is good, but the org prefers the topical study approach which picks and mixes scriptures which can lead to bias and loss of context. :(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit