Awake! November 2011 - correct cover

by processor 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I dont know how difficult it is to grasp this, i mean if you looked at it from a science point of view, from the creation of the ark to the time and how how the waters drained back its all POSSIBLE. Science only proves God and an intelligent creator.

Oh, my, you actually are convinced that it's true. That, my boy, is called cognitive dissonance. Have you ever taken any engineering? Mine is pretty rusty now. I've been out of it for years. Same goes for my natural sciences. Once I rose into management I lost all that good stuff because I didn't use it. But I can still tell you the ark as described in Genesis suffers from two major deficiencies. It's too big and it's too small. The structure as described, even unloaded, would break up in the smallest of seas. Any competent naval engineer would tell you that. Load it and it will break up even faster. For a structure that size to float and support a load it would have to be constructed of rivetted and welded steel members for strength and then clad in heavy rivetted sheet steel for rigidity. No matter how well you built it, a wooden structure would not work. And it's too small because it could not possibly hold all the species it had to hold in order for them to be around today. I can cite the numbers for you but you can look them up yourself if you're really interested in verifying what you believe. And then you've got to figure in all the food and effort required to feed all those animals, some of which eat up to 450 kg of vegetation per day, all the while getting rid of all their shit for 190 days - and all this done by 8 people? Do you know how many people it takes to run the San Diego zoo? It is something like 1,500, and they have a tiny representative fraction of the earth's animals on site. Give your head a shake.

• bioflex
    bioflex

@Dutch-Scientist : well i already told you i am not a JW, and that crap talk of an earthly paradise is in no means biblical, the bible clearly states the destruction of this earth, so I feel really bad for all the Jw's out there who think they are really going to be living on a paradise earth eating and driking and wearing nice clothes, they are practically delluded.

@Nicholas :

Genesis 6:15 in the Bible tells us the Ark's dimensions were at least 135 meters long (300 cubits), 22.5 meters wide (50 cubits), and 13.5 meters high (30 cubits). That's 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high! It could have been larger, because several larger-sized cubits were used. But the 45-centimeter (18-inch) cubit is long enough to show the enormous size of the Ark.

(A cubit was the length of a man's arm from fingertips to elbow.)

Noah's Ark was three stories high (Genesis 6:16). Its total deck area was equivalent to the area of about 20 standard college basketball courts or 36 lawn tennis courts. The world had to wait until AD 1884 before the Ark's size was exceeded, when the Italian liner Eturia was built.

The rectangular dimensions of the Ark show an advanced design in ship-building. Its length of six times its width and 10 times its height would have made it amazingly stable on the ocean. Remember it was made more for floating than sailing, because it wasn't headed anywhere. The Ark was made to withstand a turbulent ocean voyage, not to be at a certain place at a certain time.

perhaps something like this :

Noah's Ark was huge: not like the little cartoon arks in some children's Bible story books.

again, let me point out that the ark wasnt made for travel, it was meant to just float on the water, and since it was the rain which lifted the ark i bet it was gradual,

and talking about the food issue , please know that this was meant to be done for just a period of time, its different from having to work at the zoo which is permanent.

perhaps you forget that all they did back then was farming(sherperds and famers) so they pretty much were knowledgeable about taking care of and feeding animals.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Nikolas - The one important piece of data that anti-flood folks generally leave out is that if God can make the universe, and if he can make bears that hibernate for months at a time, why couldn't all the animals simply hibernate or fall into a suspended animation during the voyage? Personally I feel that the flood was a large-scale LOCAL occurence. The Bible has referred to the "whole world" or earth in other places and it is simply referring to the entire KNOWN world of the inhabitants. If that was the case, then the Biblical story can easily be true.

This also dovetails with the "miracles are impossible!" notion, which people adhere to simply because they have never seen a miracle personally. Someone talking to another person on the other side of the globe while they are lounging in their swimming pool would be a "miracle" by many standards if observed by someone from a thousand years ago.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."Arthur C. Clarke

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

the overly modest people crack me up!

• bioflex
    bioflex

@RayPublisher : if you really studied the account of the flood i am sure you would notice the phrase " the and of all flesh" , which doesnt represent only the known world of Noah but the whole earth in general, many a times people misunderstand the bible, people use the words "WORLD" and "EARTH" as synonymous which is very wrong.

The world in general means everything we know about the universe, it consist of man, the earth, trees, animals, u name it, whereas the Earth represent the earth as we know it to be.

• Kudra
    Kudra

LOL. That is some fucked up hodgepodge of a museum exhibit!

Dinos, molecules, cavepeople, butterflies... all in the exact same room? WTF.

The WTS has such an overly simplified view of what "science" is, it is ludicrous.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

*bioflex, read this book, and then come back on to comment.

well i dont think i need to read any book about evolution, cos i have already got my facts from the Bible. it suprises me that people are quickly to judge

without any investigation.

What the? LOL.

• bioflex
    bioflex

@NomadSoul : pretty funny huh, so can you tell me what your gripe is in the bible?. cos its funny how you can read some book and accept it but you claim the bible is crap.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

bioflex, welcome to the board, but....

I don't know, man.....I call BS on the whole ark discussion. Very inconsistent; arguments way off in left field...

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

again, let me point out that the ark wasnt made for travel, it was meant to just float on the water, and since it was the rain which lifted the ark i bet it was gradual,

Are you being seriously dense, or is this a joke? It is sometimes hard to tell in here when someone is deliberately yanking your chain by pretending to be brainwashed. Do you think that the earth completely covered in water spinning at 1674 kmph at the equator with air masses being continuously heated by the sun on one side and cooled through thermal radiation on the other is going to be like a millpond? That's what it would take, along with a completely gradual rise in water for the EMPTY ark to survive just long enough to collapse under its own unstructured weight. Listen to this again, the structure is impossible from an engineering standpoint. It could be built, but it would not under any circumstances float for very long.

and talking about the food issue , please know that this was meant to be done for just a period of time, its different from having to work at the zoo which is permanent.

Permanent and part time employment? Even if you took the 1500 people who are required to run the San Diego zoo (which again has on its premises only a tiny fraction of all the species on earth) and divide it by the standard 4.2 (you are familiar with business employment ratios, I trust) you still get 357 people working around the clock. Did any of those 8 people on the ark get to sleep? And how did they operate at roughly 45 times capacity for those 190 days?

perhaps you forget that all they did back then was farming(sherperds and famers) so they pretty much were knowledgeable about taking care of and feeding animals.

My jaw is a little slack at the moment. Forgive me. Let's do a little math, assuming this was a building built on land. It is impossible for me to imagine it floating on the water, because I know it couldn't. The elephants alone (even assuming the species later split into the separate African and Indian species and further into their six subspecies after the Flood) would consume approximately 800 kilograms of vegetation per day, times 190 days that is 152 metric tonnes that would have to be stored. 152 metric tonnes of vegetation (let's use hay just to be conservative, although I don't know if an elephant could survive on hay as opposed to broadleaved vegetation) at 112 kg/cubic metre would take up 1,357 cubic meters of space on the ark. The elephants also need bedding, (let's use straw at a tenth of the consumption of food) bringing storage space required to about 1,500 cubic meters. At 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high! and allowing a conservative 10% for structural members that yields a net cargo space of 38, 700 cubic meters. The elephants also need a little room in which to move around and bed down - you just can't have these animals packed in like sardines - and you have to give them a place in which to shit. Elephants do that, too. They eat a lot and they shit a lot. Let's say they'll need a modest 10 square meters, cubed to the 4.1 meter average ceiling height of the ark (45 feet high divided by 3 times 90%) represents another 41 cubic meters. Let's round it off to 1,540 cubic meters or 4% of the entire real estate of the ark. And that's just for the elephants. Then you have all the thousands of other huge animals in the world, who also eat and shit and sleep. Too small. The Ark is TOO SMALL.

Wake up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit