Rugby World Cup 2011

by dm6 152 Replies latest social physical

• Thetis
    Thetis

Yes, up early and watched Fiji V Namibia - not too shabby. Looking forward to SA v Wales though...

• sizemik
    sizemik

I think the Welsh have a good opportunity. They're in good form.

SA have been patchy lately . . . they might take a while to get their game going.

Could be similar to Arg/Eng clash . . . with Wales on top.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I think the Welsh have a good opportunity. They're in good form.

SA have been patchy lately . . . they might take a while to get their game going.

Could be similar to Arg/Eng clash . . . with Wales on top.

• Thetis
    Thetis

Too true - SA not playing their best rugby. I think spirits were high when they defeated the All Blacks in the last game of the tri-nations. I guess

many just overlooked the fact that it wasn't their best side... in my opinion. Tough pool for both I guess. Wales & SA.

• sizemik
    sizemik

In the last SA/All Black game, the AB's (ironically) were a weakish combination. SA sheltered A players all through most of the Tri-Nations. Aussie and NZ fielded strong teams against each other and are better prepared. SA on the other hand, could be short of a game at least. Time will tell. Looking forward to it.

All of the pools are quite tough for 2nd and 3rd seeds . . . but there's 4 serious contenders in the Wales/SA pool.

Makes it tough for the loser of this game

• Thetis
    Thetis

Could it have been a ploy to have sheltered their A players then?- perhaps by doing this, they are actually well prepared or rested. I think many

feel the current coach has ridden on the success of the previous one and now the wheels are falling off. As you say, time will tell. Then the nation

will go into mourning....chuckle...

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Could it have been a ploy to have sheltered their A players then?

Undoubtedly. 23 of their top players were reported as "injured" for the best part of the comp. SA basically conceded the tri-nations trophy from the get-go. Historically, top sides who have done this have come unstuck at WC time (incl. the AB's). A good amount of top game-time leading up is essential IMO. All sheltering does is ensure availability at the expense of match fitness . . . I expect that to show today.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Well . . . . where have all the Rugby fans gone? . . . busy watching the World Cup perhaps?

For our North American friends in Canada . . .

Your national side have just won their first up match . . . 25 - 20 against Tonga. A truly superb game of Rugby and a tremendous effort from Canada to win.

Canada have given themselves a good chance of grabbing a quarter-final spot. Their battle against France at the weekend will be the decider. On their current form they have every chance of creating an upset.

You can watch some of the highlights here . . .

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/5625098/Canada-stun-Tonga-in-World-Cup-boilover

Also . . . the USA turned on a great game as well against Ireland . . . going down bravely 22 - 10. They had some quality moments.

You can see highlights of that match here . . .

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503158&gal_cid=1503158&gallery_id=121372

• Thetis
    Thetis

Last game watched was the Welsh V SA -nail-biting stuff although the former deserved to win....seems like the story of their history.

Has any side who won the tri-nations ever won the World Cup?

• sizemik
    sizemik

Has any side who won the tri-nations ever won the World Cup?

Strangely no . . . every Tri-Nations winner in a World Cup year has failed to pull off the double . . . interesting eh?

The Wales v SA game was a heartbreaker . . . I agree that the better team lost. Just one of those kicks in the last ten would have done (damn). I hate to blame refs, but I thought the officiating was ordinary and inconsistent . . . and probably went against the Welsh.

ED: The Canada v Tonga game was a beauty!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit