Rugby World Cup 2011

by dm6 152 Replies latest social physical

• dm6
    dm6

21 days to go!

Whos looking forward to it?

Any Kiwis here on this board?

Whos favorite to win?

I am in NZ now recently moved over from the UK and i will honestly say i will be backing the all blacks all the way!

I actually met them all once, they stayed in a hotel in New plymouth a few years ago when i used to live here.

A hotel that wont be mentioned, (The devon hotel) and half the squad smoke! used to go out for a smoko break with them out back after their meal.

Good times.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I don't know much about rugby but those maori haka war dances are fascinating.

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

I am! Supporting England all the way!

The professional days are not a rowdy as when it was amateur. I recomend reading the autobiography of Jason Leonard aka Fun Bus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D20Ksgpsbw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Ib1uIGtos

• sizemik
    sizemik
    those maori haka war dances are fascinating.

Here's their newer one . . . Kapa O Pango . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tXvQ1aHeNk&feature=related

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob
    Here's their newer one . . . Kapa O Pango . . .

And here is the Scotsmans Reply!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQPgy79y5Lc

• sizemik
    sizemik

That's interesting Married to the Mob . . . actually, exposing the genitals is very appropriate.

The traditional All Black Haka was composed by the Maori Chief Te Rauparaha while he was hiding in a kumara (sweet potato) pit to evade his pursuers. The Chief who was assisting him then had his wife sit over the entrance.

In addition to assisting in the concealment of Te Rauparaha, the main reason why the Chiefs wife was ordered to sit over the pit was because of the neutralising effect that she, as a woman, had on incantations.

The female genital organs were supposed to have this power and, as influence of the incantations reached Te Rauparaha, he felt their effects being neutralised by the chieftainess sitting above him.

Thus the translation into English . . .

A Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!

I die! I die! I live! I live!

Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!

I die! I die! I live! I live!

Tenei te tangata puhuru huru

This is the hairy man

Nana nei i tiki mai

Who fetched the Sun

Whakawhiti te ra

And caused it to shine again

A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!

One upward step! Another upward step!

A upane kaupane whiti te ra!

An upward step, another.. the Sun shines!!

The reference to the "hairy man" is in fact Te Rauparaha's description of the exposed genitals he saw above him in the entrance to the pit while concealed . . . just thought you might like to know that.

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

Thanks sizemik. I understood it to be a traditional challenge in the spirit of the rugby game but it has many meanings based on the dance!

Will you be watching the rugby?

• sizemik
    sizemik

It certainly became a traditional war-dance and challenge . . . based on Te Rauparaha's many victories and "favour" by the ancestors. He became the most dominant Maori Chief, conquering and dominating in both Islands. But the origin of the actual words are historically interesting and possibly why the All Black team have included a newer haka.

Unfortunately for my home town of Christchurch, our lovely new stadium has been wrecked by the Feb 22nd and June 13th earthquakes, so all the games scheduled for here have been moved to other venues. But I will be following each and every game on the telly. Some of the lesser pool games make for exciting rugby. I'm intrigued by the Russians having a team qualifying for the first time.

You can see some liquefaction in this photo taken shortly after the Feb 22nd quake . . . but the ground under the stands has been severely comprimised and it's future is still uncertain.

• sizemik
  • sizemik
    sizemik

I may run a thread here once it kicks off . . . to keep those interested updated.

ED: Maybe keep this one going

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit