God exists? God doesn't? God is a different concept? Convince me!

by punkofnice 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• journey-on
    journey-on

This argument cannot be solved with words.

There is a difference in "a God" and "God".

Most people that argue about this subject are arguing whether there is 'a' God, an entity separate from you that has rules and regulations to be followed, and you are graded on how well you follow those rules and regulations. If you are a good follower, then you get rewards. If you are not so good, you receive deprivations or punishments. I used to envision a God like that when I was a JW. I don't now, but I firmly believe in God.

• sizemik
    sizemik

bohm . . . I figured there was some TIC . . . just couldn't help muhself!

But then . . . having water sink as it gets colder, and then float when it's frozen . . . sheer brilliance. Only God coulda' thought of that!

• unshackled
    unshackled

journey-on brings up a good point. Somewhere along the way you also need to question what kind of "god" are you pondering. A personal God, that is directly involved in the affairs of humans, one that hears prayers? Or a God that is a supreme being that created the universe, set it in motion with laws of nature and sat back and watched? Or can you simply refer to the universe and the laws of nature as God, but not a supreme being? If I'm not mistaken, I think Einstein alluded to the last one. If the first two options are invoked, then the next question is: where and how did that God come into existence?

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

verily, i say onto you, let the theists battle it out. once they agree on a god, i might be willing to consider their evidence.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Outlaw - So do us Brits!!

imageSmurf accepts a watchtower

bohm - That's a beautiful thought.

sizemik - I always wondered why god created wasps, they're nasty little bleeders.

bohm - I like cats, also ducks make me laugh.

PS -Yeah. Some muslim preaching in the street asked me if I wanted God to write my name in the sky and tell me who to follow. He wasn't pleased when I said: 'Actually.....yeah.....that's what I want!!!'

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

journey on - I've had enough of being judged by religious zealots to last the rest of my overlapping generation.....and point taken BTW

sizemik - Ice in my whiskey please.

unshackled - Interesting choice

J Hofer - I hope no one gets hurt!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Seeking for "God", or truth outside ourselves generally drops us in an endless and confusing whirl-pool of concepts and belief systems. May I suggest that it may be more fruitful in regards genuine discovery to turn our gaze from out-there to within.

If it is truth we seek after all, then what is the truth of our own being when washed clean of all that we imagine or believe our self to be? Perhaps this will answer questions that before we mistakenly directed outside of us.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I love the idea of Thor, he sounds really cool. But then so does Darth Vader. I like Gods and Goddesses as a concept, but like all mythology I would never take them seriously!

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

JamesThomas

It is good to see you posting again. I once said that your posts were worth all the others put together.

My mind has not changed.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I have just completed two past life regressions hypnotherapy. So far...nothing. I would like for there to be a god but I am leaning towards agnostic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit