The Polarizing of America: Rep. Michele Bachmann wins Iowa Straw Poll

by darthfader 172 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

One thing Ron Paul forgets- we were helped by France in our War of Independence from Britian. Helping Democracy in the Middle East just might be in our better long term interests. How are we going to Trade with the Middle East Kings and Dictators and not Trade with the new fledgling Democracies. Look at Turkey from the Ottoman Empire to the present.

Ron Paul has got to be the closet to a tied up crazy uncle in the basement that we have running for President on the GOP side and that's saying a lot

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Who did you vote for last, Designs? And how is that working out?

• designs
    designs

I voted for my favorite Kenyan, and things are working out really well!!!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Ms. Constitution here, who has devoted her life to its study and implemention, disagrees that our Constitution is the best humans have ever devised. First, many countries do not share our view. The American vs. European view of Freedom of Religion is one that is often discussed here. Our Const'n is inherently a British document, relying on British common law values. Western European countries, and those of places like South Africa, are exemplary.

Our const'n works for us so far in a turbulent history. Jim Crow, Dred Scott, and Korematsu share the stage of infamy. Health care for children was forbidden. The Federalist Papers describe a document and how power is allocated and balanced so no one group has absolute power. Yet the early years, and particularly the Marhsall years, needed a multitude of judicial decisions to flesh out the document. Washington and Jefferson had a very uncivil dispute concerning Washington's order of neutrality in the war against France and England. The document was too vague. Many of the framers believed it would not last twenty five years.

Actual political practice was needed to make it workable. The Framers were in dispute and at each other's throats about what provisions actually meant. It hs worked well for this country on balance. Denmark and the Netherlands must have good const'ns. Since its beginning, the US was a diverse country and had to accomodate many beliefs. People tell me those countries are very homogenous.

I believe Americans were very fortunate that the framers were able to wheel and deal and cover up the politics so ratification would proceed. What impressed me most at the National Const'n Center was a letter from some state legislature that it refused to ratify, no matter what, without a Bill of Rights that was express and part of the const'n. James Madison, Mr. Const'n, believed strongly in civil rights, but felt the matter superluous, that the document as a whole guaranteed rights. The people themselves, state by state, said no ratification without our express rights. Madison, fearful of the ratification process stopping, drafted the Bill of Rights as amendments to the original document. Americans demanded it, not some famous lumiinary like Washington or Franklin, looking down, but the people. The people of "We, the people of the United States America, in order to form a more perfect union."

We certainly have slid in times since.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Well, I guess there is no fixing certain types of density.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Ron Paul has got to be the closet to a tied up crazy uncle in the basement that we have running for President on the GOP side and that's saying a lot

whoa there fellow Dem :).. I'm no fan of Libertarian thought, but Ron Paul at least has a fairly coherent thought process. I'd put him along with John Huntsman and Mitt Romney as the only ones in the sane wing of the Republican field right now. I can't believe I just said that about two Mormons and a Libertarian, lol.

• designs
    designs

Six,

I agree he has an A-Z methodology, he just has lapses in history like France saving our asses 230 years ago. Can't we do the same for Arabs wanting Democracy. I'd rather buy Oil from a duly elected Parliment than from the Saudi Family....remember the Oil embargo during Nixon's Presidency.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

he just has lapses in history like France saving our asses 230 years ago.

I agree with you that he's wrong; I just suspect if pressed he say they were wrong to help us back then, lol. It's a most unworkable, impractical philosophy. But at least if he got the Republican nod, the national discussion would be from a center/center-left perspective, rather than a center-right/faaaaar-right perspective.

• littlerockguy
  • designs
    designs

Representative Michelle Bachmann continues her amazing run of wowing audiences with her logic. Today, asked by a High School student about Gay Rights Michelle said Gays and Lesbians have the right to marry like anyone else, a Gay man can marry a woman and a Lesbian can marry a man

Serioulsy was she describing her own marriage?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit