Can I Please Just Say...

by AGuest 89 Replies latest jw friends

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    that it's "jewel-RY"... and not "joo-LERY"

What's even worse is when jewelry is pronounced "jur-y". It's like nails on a chalkboard.

I once worked with a lady who talked about getting a "cell-i-ca" phone.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    "Off the hook".

It's "off the chain now", I think.

• still thinking
    still thinking

When my daughter was young she couldn't say Mt Atkinson....kept calling it Mt Accident...gosh I loved that, used to make me laugh...especially since the road next to "Mt Accident" was Atkinson Rd..and we drove down it all the time.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Near SLC, UT where I grew up, there is a nearby Wyoming border town called Evanston. With liquor laws being as they are in Utah, the rebellious utah youth were forced to make the drive to Evanston to procure things like kegs of beer, malt liquor, and illicit fireworks.

for some reason Evanston was always pronounced "Evingston".

History repeats itself. I moved to the Pac NW 12 years ago. There is a coastal Oregon (Or-eh-gun, not Or-a-GAHN, BTW) town called Warrenton. I always seem to hear it pronounced "Warrington" for some fool reason.

There is a popular Portland brewery called Widmer Bros. You will almost always hear someone at the bar order a "Wind-meer".

I used to work for a brewpub chain called McMenamins. People are always saying "McMenimums".

• journey-on
    journey-on

It's hurricane season, not HAIRicane.

• rebel8
    rebel8

that it's "jewel-RY"... and not "joo-LERY"

Or "joo-LER-y".

Any mispronounced words that "get" to YOU?

Yes, many.

Sherbet, not sherbeRt.

Prostate, not pRostate.

• Glander
    Glander

Prostate, not pRostate.

??? All this this time I have referred to it as my prostitute gland! No wonder Doc always snickers.

• ziddina
    ziddina

^^ Hm, place-names...

We occasionally vacation in Cashiers, North Carolina - but the locals call it "Cashers"...

Here in Colorado - that's "Koh loh rah doe" - at least, in my Colorado/South Dakota accent - the town of Buena Vista is NOT pronounced in the "Spanish" way - it's pronounced "Boo-nah Vista"...

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

As a Canadian, I always get a chuckle how you Americans say out and about. Aat and abaat. Everyone knows it's oot and aboot.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    Everyone knows it's oot and aboot.

Here in Michigan, where we work with lots of Canadians some of us picked that up. It's usually in jest, but I find myself saying "aboot" a lot in normal conversation. Darned Canadians!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit