JW directives you thought were downright stupid

by fallen_princess 98 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

I can remember being invited over for dinner and a movie with others to an elder's house. He announced what the movie was (R-rated) but that they would be skipping past the "bad" parts. He's still an elder, still skipping past the bad parts.

Or the jws that think because a movie is shown on HBO or a cable channel that the "bad" parts have been edited out.

• Violia
    Violia

I knew an entire BOE that saw " fatal attraction" which was rated R, but mild compared to today. The 2 scenes that got everyone into the theater of course were the sink scene and the elevator scene. It was the movie to see at that time and even the BOE could not resist seeing it as they felt left out with the guys at work who were talking about it.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Reading all these experiences simply turns my stomach. Thank God I'm gone!

Quendi

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Then there was the congregation that had a little musical ensemble playing the Kingdom Songs beside the stage. It was Brisbane, so in summer it was damn hot (if I might use the word "damn". Oh crap, I said "damn." Oh bugger, I said "crap.") One picky elder decided that since they were beside the stage, the male members of the band should wear jackets. Jehovah apparently doesn't like hearing music from people not wearing jackets.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    He shared with us the origins of "gee", "golly", "dang" and even "crikey". He stressed that no true servant of Jehovah would use such words...or any kind of slang, no matter its root or origin.

As a little kid I got in trouble for this. I had read a Marmaduke comic strip and thought it was funny so I told it to my father- evidently saying "dog gone funny" is bad. I was thinking, it's a kid's comic for crying out loud!

• ziddina
    ziddina

I'll bet that others have already said this, but...

ALL of them....

Zid

• unshackled
    unshackled

As a little kid I got in trouble for this. I had read a Marmaduke comic strip and thought it was funny so I told it to my father-evidently saying "dog gone funny" is bad. I was thinking, it's a kid's comic for crying out loud!

Same here serenity. My father was the damn euphemism cop...would be right on your ass if you used a "geez, gee, golly or gosh". So then I'd make up my own (in smart ass defiance of course) ...like "great goose!" Jumped on that too...."you're using a euphemism for a euphemism"

Another directive that I didn't like was the don't say the same things in your prayers, no repetition...try to be original each time. Meaning don't do anything like the Lord's Prayer. I ran out of original things to say around age 12. After that, my PrayerPod was on repeat and no shuffle.

• Violia
    Violia

some favorites slangs from my time and before were

swing that way,

geez Louise,

Jesus H Christ ( OK even I agree that trips over the line) or saying JC

screwed up - big favorite of everyone

bunny boiler -from the movie fatal attraction

hot and heavy

Bite me

darn, dang it, and any variation of this

heck and any variation of this

I got counseled for saying MUCK b/c it sounded to much like other words

oh yes Suck up, kiss up or Brown nosing

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    I ran out of original things to say around age 12.

Me too! The more anxious I got, the more repetitive my prayers became. It would be the same thing over and over, it's like I couldn't stop!

I had a friend whose mom got on her knees at her bedside every night and would pray for like, half an hour. I remember thinking, what could she possibly have to say that would take that long? I mean, it's still a one-way conversation. I never felt comfortable with the kneeling, even as a child.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe
    I was thinking, it's a kid's comic for crying out loud!

SerenityNow, the expression "for crying out loud" is itself a "minced oath", an exclamation that is technically innocent but actually based on a curse ("For Christ's sake!")

It's hard to get away from them! I remember giving a talk on the school once, based on the old TMS book, warning against using such words. I omitted to mention in the talk that at work, where no one knew of my secret religious cult membership, I swore like a f***ing trooper.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit