JW directives you thought were downright stupid

by fallen_princess 98 Replies latest jw experiences

• fallen_princess
    fallen_princess

I remember one time when I was about 17 years old, I wanted to arrange a costume party for the young brothers in the congo around my age. I suggested it to one of my friends and was told that the Elders had advised against it because it could be construed as pagan and masks have their roots in demonism. Of course, I was never shown any biblical proof of this but just that response took the wind out of my sails and I decided to just not go through with it. Any other similar stories out there?

• sd-7
    sd-7

I think the beard issue was pretty stupid, given that we're reading publications about all these men in ancient times who ALL had beards if they could grow one, and there was never any instruction given to shave beards to be ccepted by God ANYWHERE in the Bible.

Wow. So doesn't that mean the COSTUME DRAMAS at the conventions were borrowing a demonic practice? It's only okay when Mother does it...

--sd-7

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think the rule of only wearing suits and ties to meetings and out in service was stupid from day one, but it is especially stupid now.

Not even the most strict businesses actually do this any longer, except in very special circumstances.

Not even IBM - who was practically the most famous business ever for their dress code.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Only a baptized brother could spiral bind the new elder book in the presence of the Elder.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I went to a huge costume party given by JW's. Their rule was no cross dressing. Cuz you know . . . it could turn you gay.

• undercover
    undercover

A lot of these directives were locally set. Depending on how far the corncob was up the elder's asses dictated the level of micromanaging and control they sought to wield.

In one hall I was in, only white shirts were allowed when giving any part from the platform. Another hall, no such rule existed.

One congregation's elders were very strict on grooming, down to one elder actually pulling on the younger brothers' hair to see how much he could grab. If he could grab too much, he declared that it was time for that brother to get a haircut.

I was called in on the carpet more than once for facial hair issues. Mustache too long, too "bikerish" (when I was trying to get away witha "fu manch" style), I kept pushing it until I was told to adhere to the Bethel standards. It was not well recieved when I reminded them that I wasn't in Bethel so not subject to their rules. One time I was told my soul patch was not allowed (I saw it in a Western movie and thought it cool as hell, so copied it. Who knew God hated Western attire and styles).

One congregation's elders counseled against the younger brothers buying 2 door and sports cars. Yet another congregation, the elders' owned Jeep CJs and pick-up trucks.

James said:

I think the rule of only wearing suits and ties to meetings and out in service was stupid from day one, but it is especially stupid now.
    Not even the most strict businesses actually do this any longer, except in very special circumstances.

I was just thinking about this the other day. I was out at lunch, about 95 degrees and saw two guys in suits. They weren't JWs, but two business types. But even in the business world, "business casual" is now the standard business dress. They stood out because the old traditional executive look is passe for the majority of people in today's casual dressed world.

The fact that these two businessmen in suits in hot/humid weather stood out as abnormal even on a normal business day/hour impressed on me just how out of touch JWs really are when they dress up for Saturday morning service in hot/humid weather.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I know a sister that grew up in the Baltimore area in the 1970's, she told me that at wedding receptions there Jdubs couldn't play records !! One of the dumbest rules I've ever heard, there can't possibly be a scripture to back that one up !

• watersprout
    watersprout

Couldn't have masquerade balls cause those eye masks caused people to commit fornication and adultery..........

Peace

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

A brother I know relayed to me that he just recieved a letter to attend an Elder's School, the real one, not that two day jamboree from the past Fall/Winter which was only a day and a half long. This school is 5 days long, and 8 hours a day and I believe they're providing breakfast or lunch, one or the other but I can't remember. What I do remember is that those who attend, have to dress as if they're going to a meeting. That had me thinking, 8 hours a day listening to all that drivel, dressed up in a suit and tie, and you have to request time off from work to attend, it's ludicrous.

The no beard thing for brothers, especially as it wreaks havoc on some black brothers with ingrown hairs. Women required to wear skirts especially when a woman in a nice pant suit looks ten times better than some old school woman with a name with a ankle length floral dress and a blouse with shoulder pads.

The blood doctrine is not only stupid, but dangerous considering they've taken a Biblicle law on the eating of blood like a savage animal and equated it with a blood transfusion used to save someone's life. Not to mention the ludicrous illustration in the Bible Teach book about injecting alcohol to make their point.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

one of the stupidest things i ever read was in a series of letters written by an elder to the watchtower (i think its on ajwrb) where in response about fractions the watchtower gave the illistration about what if your mother told you not to touch the pot of potatoes on the stove, and the watchtower went on to say if you took the potatoes and broke them down into fractions then you were obeying your mother. it was one of the key things that helped me realized how insane the blood docterine is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit