JW directives you thought were downright stupid

by fallen_princess 98 Replies latest jw experiences

• fallen_princess
    fallen_princess

The elder on our congregation was on a serious power trip resulting in many stupid directives. No sitting next to your girlfriend until you're married, no talking out in the parking lot alone after the meetings, no decorations of the hall on our wedding, and the list goes on forever.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I could not save seats for my elderly parents to sit with me at assemblies, unless they rode in the same car with me.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Considering the problems black men have with ingrown hair, I thought the no beard rule was cruel and racist. I remember many black brothers discussing its unfairness among ourselves, but being good, brainwashed, submissive JWs, we went along. Yet I couldn't help but wonder that if a non-Witness white employer tried to institute such a rule, how many black men would have vented their spleen and outrage upon him until the rule was rescinded. Another example of the mind control this cult exercises.

Quendi

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

A year or so ago, my mom told me that an elder stated (in a talk) that it would be inappropriate for a husband and wife to embrace or hold hands during prayers at the meetings/assemblies. This really bothered her and was one of only two negative(ish) things that I ever remember my mom saying about the Organization.

• nugget
    nugget

Women having to wear a tea cloth on their head when saying a prayer that was pretty ridiculous.

• jam
    jam

Counsel by elder, my son drew A tree in class on xmas.

Just A tree no ornaments, my son was in pre-school, he

was four.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby
    A year or so ago, my mom told me that an elder stated (in a talk) that it would be inappropriate for a husband and wife to embrace or hold hands during prayers at the meetings/assemblies. This really bothered her and was one of only two negative(ish) things that I ever remember my mom saying about the Organization.

This was mentioned in an article, too I believe.

Interestingly, in my old cong, the spouses never really embraced or held hands during prayers and songs...until my dad converted and would hold my mom. Then everyone started doing it... And then they said nobody could. Stupid asses.

• shepherd
    shepherd

It's all there in the book Of Pharisees 1:1-69:69, an imaginary book every elder seems to be able to quote from.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

In my 23 years, only a few things ever stood out to me as being clearly wrong.

The total ban on rap music as an entire genre, was one. The idea that a married couple could commit uncleanness with one another was a second.

I saw plenty of stupid stuff at Bethel, but I dismissed it as being necessary to maintain order, etc.

Looking back, MOST of it seems stupid, especially the misogyny and nepotism.

• Violia
    Violia

I can't recall the year -most likely in the early 80's, but we were told if we had any of the older books eg, Rutherford and Russell to throw themaway. I said I would not as they were my relatives and I intended to keep them for sentimental value. I can't believe they would tell us to burn or throw away books. How crazy does that make anyone look? They are afraid of the old light in the books? book burnings/banning are right up there with witch hunts/ burnings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit