The Trinity

by The Quiet One 163 Replies latest watchtower bible

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I think I've given up on the trinity threads.

Never! This thread can live forever. We will figure it out. Someone might be wrong on the Internet!

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

@WontLeave : As ex-JW, I read the NT without any preconceptions, and I did find evidence of the Trinity. I'm not totally convinced, but the evidence is there, at least of Christs deity.

Edit : and at least know now where Trinitarians are coming from, which is 1/2 the battle of discussing something.

• OBVES
    OBVES

Knowing there is no trinity is a huge clue for those who seek who has the true christian religion in our times . That person simply puts aside majority of all christian religions and the hell doctrine added to this matter clears more a path to coming to the true God of the Bible .

It is so easy in our times to know Jehovah's Witnesses are among the best in coming to the true God of the Bible .

http://www.focusonthebible2011.com;

http://www.comelordjesus2011.com .

To have the trinity a person studying the Bible would have to find these :

1/3 of God the Father , 1/3 of God the Son , 1/3 of God the Holy Spirit .Nothing of this kind can be found in the Bible .

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I see the problem here. People keep fat-fingering their keyboards, and not in the pleasant way that makes the keyboard call you on a Friday night. Tell you what, I'll make the corrections and clear everything up so we can go back to more productive things, like making fart jokes.

ORIGINAL TEXT: To dispel the confusion ... YHWH of the Old Testament is JESUS
    CORRECTED: To dispel the confusion ... YHWH of the Old Testament is MYTHICAL.

I solved that zhit. What's next?

ORIGINAL TEXT: Knowing there is no trinity is a huge clue for those who seek who has the true christian religion in our times . That person simply puts aside majority of all christian religions and the hell doctrine added to this matter clears more a path to coming to the true God of the Bible .
    CORRECTED TEXT: Knowing there is no YAHWEH is a huge clue for those who AREN'T DELUDED. That person simply puts aside majority of all christian religions and the hell doctrine added to this matter clears more a path to coming to the true God of the Bible .

Damn and it's not even 5 o'clock.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

@GOrwell

The divinity of Christ can't be denied. John 1:18 indicates this fact in the NWT more than any other version. John 1:1 has been pulled back and forth as a slam-dunk for both sides, depending on who's doing the interpreting and translating. Without the definite article, there is no proof positive for "God"; at the same time, there is no proof positive for "a god". One argument that is sorely lacking is that it could just be "god" (small g), indicating the Logos is god, just as God is god, Adam was human, I am human. Every Greek scholar agrees the second "god" is descriptive, like an English adjective. "Word was God"/"Word was god"/"Word was a god" may all be correct, if understood a certain way, which is the way I believe John intended. Surely the Heavenly Christ/Logos is/was divine. You can't be called "mighty god" without being a god.

The confusion comes in when people see "one God" as "one god". The word "God" is a name and there is, in fact, only one of those. The word "god" is a title and there are many, including God, Satan, Christ, and all the angels ("elohim"). These people require the trinity, because if the Father is really a god and the Son is really a god, but there is only one god, then they must be one. That is an erroneous assumption, though. The Bible never says there is one god, but there is only one God. God himself talks about other gods; some fake, some real. I've pointed out before that the "false gods" of Egypt demonstrated real power - matching Moses' miracles - indicating there were divine beings involved. Other scriptural accounts refer to blind, deaf, powerless idols; obviously indicating no divine backing. The OT makes it clear that only YHWH is to be worshiped, the NT makes it clear that Jesus is divine and approved by YHWH. Yes, there are 2 "true" gods (gasp!) and many "false" gods (some real, some fake).

The Holy Spirt is another subject altogether and all attempts I've seen to include it as part of a trinity have been pathetic at best.

Dammit! I said I wouldn't do this again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

Agreed, I don't even pay attention to John 1:1 anymore, as there are so many other facets of Christs divinity that are displayed throughout the NT, especially in what he did, and how the NT applies tons of stuff from YHWH in the OT to him. But, if you find Christs' deity, and you acknowledge the Holy Spirit is a person, I'm not sure else that leaves you, other than the Trinity.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Guys. I fixed the problem and we're moving on to more relevant topics. Now has anyone heard the one about the nun who farted in the pew?

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

No and I don't think it'll be worth the wait. Are my threads really so boring? If anyone needs me, I'll be at the pub..

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Arg, I'm sorry Quiet One. I saw an Obves post and went into derail mode. It was rude of me to interrupt a perfectly good Trinity debate. Carry on!

(BTW, the joke was the punchline, it just wasn't very funny. Or maybe it was supposed to be that she had to sit in her own pew. Yeah that's it. Still not very funny.)

• reslight2
    reslight2

Post 767 of 772
    Since 9/2/2010

@GOrwell

The divinity of Christ can't be denied. John 1:18 indicates this fact in the NWT more than any other version.

I am not with the JWs, and I rarely use the NWT. I do not, however, believe that the Bible ever reveals Jesus to be the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. I do believe that the Bible does reveal the divinity of Jesus, but that is another matter. Jesus' possession of the quality of divinity does not make Jesus to be Yahweh any more than the angels who also possess the quality of divinity.

http://godandson.reslight.net/archives/19.html

No one has seen God at any time. The one and only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has declared him. — World English.

No one has seen God at any time ; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him. — New American Standard.

It should be apparent that if John did refer to the Jesus as theos in this verse, it is not the same sense as “Theos” that no man has seen. Also, does “God” in reference to Jesus, speak of Jesus as a man, or as his allegedly being God Most High? Applying the assumed “dual nature” theory to this verse ends up with an apparent self-contradiction, for it would end up having Jesus as being allegedly God Most High making known the Most High God, not the human Jesus making known the Most High God. To illustrate this, let us replace the references to God with “the Most High”:

New American Standard: No one has seen [the Most High] at any time; the only begotten [Most High] who is in the bosom of the [Most High], He [the Most High] has explained [the Most High].

I have written more on John 1:18 at:

http://godandson.reslight.net/archives/1272.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit