What is the most offensive/idiotic piece of WT literature you've read from the past 20 years (approximately)?

by Chemical Emotions 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• godrulz
    godrulz

allelse, good, reasonable question that there is not consensus on...the danger is to add more requirements than Scripture. I disagree with WT views on holidays and would not make this a test of salvation/orthodoxy (based on no biblical evidence). The blood issue is wrong on many levels and is one of the worst doctrines of JWs, unique to them (they do not understand sanctity of life, difference between circulation/ingestion, etc.; there is no biblical prohibition because it was not even known at the time). Moral issues are important, but it is possible for an atheist to have sexual purity and a Christian to be immoral. The Corinthian SAINTS had sin in their camp, but were still believers. WT cuts people off from salvation for an ever changing number of offenses that go beyond Scripture (Pharisaical).

The destiny issue is faith vs unbelief in the person and work of Christ.

For an atheist, the existence of God is a salvific issue (can't be saved while denying the very existence of God).

Since there is salvation in no other name than Jesus (Jn. 3:16; Jn. 14;6; Acts 4:12; Rom. 10:9-10; I Jn. 5:11-13), the deity, incarnation, virgin conception, resurrection of Christ is essential (I Cor. 15 a denial of the physical resurrection of Christ is a denial of the gospel according to Paul; JWs deny His deity and physical resurrection; Muslims even deny His death and resurrection in any form; JW teaches recreation of spirit creature, not resurrection which is always bodily). A counterfeit Christ is worthless, non-salvific (faith is only as good as the object we put it in; 2 Cor. 11:4).

The Bible as Word of God also is relatively essential since one will not know or have faith in God without it.

Salvation by grace through faith apart from works is also undermined by works-based cults (Gal. 1:6-10 false Judaizer gospel of works=eternally condemned; Jude 3; Eph. 2:8-10; Titus 3:5).

Minimally, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as YHWH in the flesh risen from the dead is pivotal. As important and true as trinity understanding is, I would not make it a condition of eternal lfie (modalists who deny trinity but affirm Deity of Christ are saved in my mind).

Most of the disfellowshipping issues by JWs that cut people off from God/Paradise are not the real issue at all. Conformity to WT/GB/Society rules/regulations/false teaching is not what God will judge JWs by (or any of us).

• NewChapter
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

I have very many possible answers to this but this article always sticks out as actually EVIL:

"Jesus encouraged his followers to love their enemies, but God's Word also says to "hate what is bad." When a person persists in a way of badness after knowing what is right, when the bad becomes so ingrained that it is an inseparable part of his make-up, then in order to hate what is bad a Christian must hate the person with whom the badness is inseparably linked." Watchtower 1961 Jul 15 p.420

OK, I admit it's voer 20yrs old but still a golden oldie..then there is...

*** w89 9/1 p. 19 par. 7 Remaining Organized for Survival Into the Millennium ***

Only Jehovah’s Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the "great crowd," as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil. (Revelation 7:9-17; 2 Corinthians 4:4) They will make up the "flesh" that Jesus Christ said would be saved through the worst tribulation of all human history.

Finally

"No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family."
    Awake! 2009 July p.29 (p.28)

• bigmac
    bigmac

in the last 20 years----luckily i havent read a single watchtower publication in that time---havent a clue what their titles are---nothing.

do i hear pangs of jealousy here?

• dozy
    dozy

The picture on the dvd showing the 1st century "pioneers" merrily dishing out scrolls as they worked door to door. Even the WTBTS eventually realised this was nonsense.

The all time worst article was the infamous september 2007 KM question box condemning people from studying Hebrew or Greek or doing scriptural research.

km9/07p.3QuestionBox

Does“the faithful and discreet slave” endorse independent groups of Witnesses who mee together to engage in Scriptural research or debate?—Matt.24:45,

No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the NewWorldTranslation.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

See? Even on this thread everybody glazes over the 1995 "new light" on the generation.

In 1995, the meaning of the "generation" was changed to this: all the wicked people of the world who saw the sign Jesus prophesied but rejected it.

That "new light" remained until 07 or 08, IIRC.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

punkofnice: Woah, I forgot about that first one...damn. The rest are good as well.

bigmac: LUCKY!!!

dozy: Hey, I remmember that one. I can't believe they said that. Even for them, it seems extreme.

• godrulz
    godrulz

An old Freeminds article about the children's Bible story book indicates it implants theocratic organizational thinking with Noah's Genesis story, etc. Clever to start indoctrinating at a young age. The Ark that saves is not the WT/GB/Society, but the Lord Jesus Christ.

• TDaze
    TDaze

The first book I picked up after becoming an atheist was the latest iteration of the Life - How Did It Get here. In the first three chapters I scribbled 20 comments in the margin, containing rebuttals and pointing out fallacies and quote mines. I stopped at some point because my surprise about all the bullshit started turning into anger about the pure lies and deception they are putting people through.

• rebel8
    rebel8

There was one that said, if you feel the urge to masturbate, you should empty the trash or polish your shoes. To prevent the urge, don't linger in the shower and wear loose-fitting clothing to bed.

do not let YOUR adornment be that of the external braiding of the hair and of the putting on of gold ornaments or the wearing of outer garments"

Is there such a thing as an internal braiding of the hair? Can gold earrings be worn as long as they're not shaped like ornaments? And are all outer garments prohibited or is it just the stylish ones?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit