What is the most offensive/idiotic piece of WT literature you've read from the past 20 years (approximately)?

by Chemical Emotions 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• godrulz
    godrulz

Talk about hypocritical to attack Catholics on pedophilia. At least RC is finally taking some public responsibility compared to WT. WT is trying to protect assets and reputation over well being of victims (not to mention breaking the law for reporting to them vs police).

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

How about articles that blamed mental illness on demons or not enough field service?

I had a WTF (pardon the language) moment with the 24 elders dispensing food. I thought so is the GB playing Ouija now to contact Russell, Rutherford,& Franz since they are not as creative. By that logic since I as an apostate am receiving messages from Ray Franz & Michael Jackson they make me wanna scream

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

How I make WT literature inoffensive and survive being stuck in the org.

Turn the tables. Everything the Faithful Evil Slave Class dispenses applies to them and Watchtower Minions. Picture the misled, and lost sheep as those you have to save before Armageddon.

• TD
    TD

For me it was the 1983 brochure, "School and Jehovah's Witnesses"

Most JW's (At least the ones I know) were ashamed of it themselves and there wasn't a teacher anywhere who read it that wasn't deeply offended.

• godrulz
    godrulz

What were some of the low lights or gist of this booklet?

• TD
    TD

godrulz: The gist was that JW children would do only what was legally required in school. There was the usual stuff you would expect in regard to holidays, flag salute, national anthems, blood donation, etc. But the brochure went on to paint every optional activity very negatively with a brush so broad that it included the teachers and school administrators too:

Sports: "Participation in organized sports, we believe would expose Witness youths to unwholesome associations." p. 23

Cheerleading: "At athletic events, it is the responsibility of cheerleaders to orchestrate the crowd into frenzied cheering for a school. They also encourage the people into hero worship and lead them in standing for the school song." p. 23

School Dances: "However, you may have noted that Witness youths usually do no attend dances sponsored by the school, such as the junior and senior proms. Why? This is principally because of the poor environment that often exists in connection with school dances. Commonly there is smoking, alcohol abuse, use of drugs as well as scandalous sexual conduct." p. 24

School Clubs: "Often however, these clubs serve mainly for social activities. And it has been noted that sharing such activities with certain groups of students often leads to immoral conduct." p. 24

Plays: "Further, there is the time involved in practicing, and possible unwholesome associations." p. 25

• godrulz
    godrulz

TD: Thx for the info. I can see how this makes WT look bad. I would defend a person/parent's right to practice their convictions and to have teachers informed on the matter. Unfortunately, as you know better than I do, that this makes children victims and can scar them for life. It is extremely difficult for most kids to have to be so odd compared to everyone else. Christians would share some of these convictions relating to grad parties with sex and alcohol, etc., but we would not come across the way this booklet does. WT and us vs them and being behind the times is a problem, but having principled convictions is not always bad.

• TD
    TD

godrulz

Christians would share some of these convictions relating to grad parties with sex and alcohol,

I would agree, but the problem is, it's wrong to paint with a broad brush like that. For example, there are towns here in AZ that are almost entirely Mormon. Regardless of whatever theological faults you think the Mormons may have, they do as a group, have strong moral principles, especially in small towns.

What happens when a Mormon teacher reads a JW brochure stating that the Mormon children he or she goes to church with are not fit association for JW children? What happens when a Mormon school administrator reads that "smoking" and "alcohol abuse" and "scandalous sexual conduct" are common at the school dances for which they are responsible? (Keep in mind that Mormons forbid alcohol and tobacco entirely.) They go balllistic -- that's what happens.

In other areas, you can find schools that are strongly Evangelical Christian or strongly Catholic and the results were similar. The JW's replaced this brochure in 1995 with one that was greatly toned down.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Today's WT Study had a paragraph that was not only offensive, but irresponsible. An Ethiopian girl declined a college education, as well as a job that was willing to pay her 3000 Euros a month, and you know why? Because she wanted to pioneer, and her parents were ecstatic over her decision. Do you think this story is legit?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

marked.

Keep asking questions, godrulz.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit