What is the most offensive/idiotic piece of WT literature you've read from the past 20 years (approximately)?

by Chemical Emotions 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Haven't sniffed a new WT in 5 years. I smell clean....

For me before I left, I guess the Revelation book is a good reference point on what Gilead is like. Everything is tied into the GB, and of course, it's all bullshit. That is offensive to the mind. The attempts at commentary on Isaiah too, very stupid and non practical and an absolute waste of time.

The YPA book is very offensive because it causes mentally disturbed views of what should be a normal growing up process. Instead, you are essentially told not to look at yourself naked in the mirror and listen to all JW constituted authority, unless your parents aren't JW's, in which case you can disobey them....

The updated Great Teacher book had that very controversial part on child molestation, which offended a lot of householders who read it. (and rightly so, that is a prime example of the GB thinking that their shit smells good.... There were many at Bethel who were genuinely confused as to why that wasn't taken so well....)

I think Discreet Slaves points are good ones. Can't hold hands during a prayer? My ex wife would have been jumping up and down at that one....

• godrulz
    godrulz

I must qualify that the NWT does not distort every verse and that one could theoretically find God or understand biblical principles by reading it. The most demonic thing is how they distort many of the Deity of Christ verses. This is a salvific issue, unlike blood, birthdays, Christmas, etc.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I submit these two for consideration:

Watchtower (Study Edition), April 15th, 2010 Issue, Pages 27-29:"This magazine has long been used by “the faithful and discreet slave” as the primary channel for dispensing increased light. ... What does this explanation mean to us? Although we cannot measure the exact length of “this generation,” we do well to keep in mind several things about the word “generation”: It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period; it is not excessively long; and it has an end. (Ex. 1:6) How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”? He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation must be near. By maintaining your sense of urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that you are keeping up with advancing light and following the leadings of holy spirit.—Mark 13:37."

“Is it Wrong to Change Your Religion?” in the July 2009 Awake p29:

“No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family.”

• bohm
    bohm

"life, how did it get here?"

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

wt 3/15/2011 (study edition) p.26

The "water canopy"? Are you frigging kidding me?

I would have laughed at this one even when mentally "in".

I mean for chris's sakes, if god wants to flood the whole friggin' earth, he could MIRACULOUSLY flood the earth. You don't need this type of pseudoscience garbage to explain it. Ugh.

• godrulz
    godrulz

Actually, WT probably got the canopy from some older Christian thinkers/creation scientists. I think there is some possibility of this even as a UV barrier (without it, harmful rays would explain some of our negative things that did not exist in Paradise).

• shamus100
    shamus100

Both of the youth books.

They sure seemed transfixed on jerking off. ;)

I greatly enjoyed Revelation. wow, they had a bullshit answer for everything. :D

• godrulz
    godrulz

The Bible Revelation is a fascinating book. WT butchers its interpretation (like reading 1935 Convention into a verse?!) showing they are not even good Bible students let alone receiving light from God Himself.

• bohm
    bohm

godrulz: was the water canopy in orbit, suspended as water vapour or just held up with plain old magic?

by the way it originated from isaak veils pseudoscientific nonsence, the book which stated in the foreword that evolution was on its way out and the ideas contained within was soon to be accepted by all of science...

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

GODRULZ - yes, there was some 19th century pseudoscience bit about the "water canopy" ... It's definitely Wikapediable for at least the basic info...

Heard this at the 'service meeting' this AM:

That we are "special" because god has "drawn" us to him. That it's like being chosen 1 out of 1000 for the "privilege of kingdom service."

This from an elder I actually think could be/is an extremely intelligent human being...

Guess not...

The idea of being 'drawn' to god bothers my wife as well... It's predestination/bullshit, no?

BOHM - that's it, that's the guy. Thanks[edit]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit