Do you yearn to know what we are, and why we are here, before you die?

by sabastious 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

As do I. They are incapable of understanding what it is and, because we are not too far removed from them, neither can we. Not yet.

• jgnat
    jgnat

What I yearn for is a deep connection with people, a meeting of minds. When done well, it sings.

• dgp
    dgp

Yeah, it would be nice to know. I think it is Hitchens (or Dawkins, I don't remember) who says that the basic driving force of an atheist is "the craving to know". I think this is correct.

Our knowing this would have the benefit that we could do away with all the lies. THAT would be very good.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    As do I. They are incapable of understanding what it is and, because we are not too far removed from them, neither can we. Not yet.

I watch my cat a lot because of this subject. I have noticed that many times he will greet members of the family when he comes in from the outside (like come and sit on your lap for a few moments) before he goes to eat. Why would he do that? I think it's fascinating.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What I yearn for is a deep connection with people, a meeting of minds. When done well, it sings.

It also has a nice side effect of progressing society forward.

-Sab

• flipper
    flipper

No, I don't. I don't worry about it one bit. I feel within myself lies the answers to what I am, why I am here, and what I'll try to accomplish before I die. I love life, my wife and family and fellow JWNers . My purpose is to help people think freely in their minds and see the possibilities of getting out and escaping mind control of all forms. I feel that is a meaningful purpose for me at least.

Also I hope to get great pictures of Bigfoot before I die, or at least some video ! LOL ! Already have the footprint pictures ! I just believe in living my life to the full and sharing love and happiness to the world. That's basically it in a nutshell

• prophecor
    prophecor

This book, more than any other has assisted in answering those same said questions. It's not an easy sell as they have a scent of dogmatism like witnesses have, however, they come from a completly different vantage point and if any one ever gave this free publication a once over, you might be surprised to hear their views. I took it for nonsensense initially, then I really began to read it with an open mind.

I didn't agree with a lot of what HW Armstrong had to say, but the more I read it, the more it made sense. Raymond Franz's book comes in as photo finish tie as to it's ability to help me see more clearly beyond the truth.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

A quote from "Crisis of Conscience."

"After the death of its longtime leader, Herbert W. Armstrong, in the late 1980s, the new leadership published an article in the March/April issue of the religion’s main publication, The Plain Truth magazine. The article was titled “Forgive Us Our Trespasses,” and began by saying, “The Worldwide Church of God, sponsor of The Plain Truth magazine, has changed its position on numerous long-held beliefs and practices during the past few years.” In detailing these, it also said:

• Norcal_Sun
    Norcal_Sun

"Legalism" is an interesting term.

-Sab

• dgp
    dgp

Thank you very much, Nickolas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit