Do you yearn to know what we are, and why we are here, before you die?

by sabastious 84 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL @ Sir82.

My answer is, "No."

I sought those answers at one time, and ended up in a cult.

Syl

• pirata
    pirata

All I want to do before I die is be able to tell someone that I don't think Michael the Archangel is Jesus without any fear.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Nope. Far as I'm concerned, my purpose in life is to try to have a positive effect on humanity to the extent possible.

• designs
    designs

Lesson 101: Be good

A short list is all that's needed...

• Glander
    Glander

No, I have it figured out to my satisfaction and accept it.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Lets face it, we don't know what humans are. Science is doing a good job at uncovering many facts about us, but even science cannot explain consciousness yet. Conciousness is still a strong mystery to us. Is it important for you that, before you die, that we understand why we are here unequivocally? What do you think about people who do feel it's important to know?

Is yearning for such knowledge necessary, sab, or even realistic? Infinity, big bang, plasma, star dust, billions of years, galaxies, stars, planets, more billions of years, abiogenesis, hundreds of millions of years, evolution, millions of years, man, hundreds of thousands of years, you. What happens next hasn't happened yet and nobody knows what hasn't yet happened. Humans are stardust, like everything else in the universe. Consciousness? The enthropic principle dictates that you need to be conscious in order to perceive consciousness, but just because we can put it into language doesn't mean that consciousness is unique to mankind. Do you think that the other animals on earth are conscious?

So, is it important? No, not to me. If it is important to you, then it is important. If it isn't, it isn't, and it doesn't matter to me one way or another.

• tec
    tec

I do not.

I am content and at peace in my faith, and the answers I have been given.

My life keeps me pretty busy too ;)

Tammy

• pirata
    pirata
    What could be more important than issues relating to life and eternity.

How we treat fellow humans

How we treat the environment

What we leave behind for our children

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

We may think we know what we are, but beyond all the ideas and thoughts about "self", what am I??? (not just me but as a general question).

Take away all thoughts, ideas and sensations of a self and what remains?: Pure intimate consciousness. Delve into here and let us see what is revealed.

For if we do not know what we truly are, then how can we know anything about the rest of the universe? The journey starts with the deepest and most intimate silent sense of being, right here, right now......or never.

j

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Do you think that the other animals on earth are conscious?

Very much so, I think that much is observable.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit