Jehovah's witness meetings are NOT BORING......

by punkofnice 122 Replies latest jw experiences

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Sometimes I hear a smidgeon of the meeting on Sunday when I pop in to see my parents & they are on hook up.

I hear the same old voices making the same old comment about the same old stuff......

I could never ever go back tp pretending to be interested in what the Watchtower has to say.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I found the meetings to be horridly boring, and always struggled with forcing myself to go. I found out after I left that I have ADD, so that was part of the reason, but really, they were just repeating the same thing over and over.

I sometimes go to church with my husband's parents when we visit. I find them to be very interesting. They have a top notch choir, so that helps. The sermon is only about 20 minutes long. People talk about those who they know that are having health or personal issues, even if they don't go to the church. I think I could stand to go to church if it was like that.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Heartofaboy -

I hear the same old voices making the same old comment about the same old stuff......

This is SO true and has become a JW universal law!

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

The Mrs believes meetings are boring on purpose...obey...obey....obey....the governing body....you are sleepy.....very sleepy...obey.....obey....the governing body.....very sleepy....repeat after me .........

effective

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The Mrs believes meetings are boring on purpose...obey...obey....obey....the governing body....you are sleepy.....very sleepy...obey.....obey....the governing body.....very sleepy....repeat after me .........

I believe there is some truth in this too. Sounds like the Milton method in NLP.......if there is any credibility in such stuff.

This kind of reminds me of a couple of threads we've had recently.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Steven Hassan, talks about indoctrination sesions having a hypnotic effect. Sleeping during indoctrination implants more firmly the message. Whether it's the plan or not, it cetainly keeps people active in other cult rituals such as, FS, prayer, study, and family worship.

Kate xx

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Kate. Yes, I believe there is a hypnotic theme going on with some meetings whether it's intentional or not.

I know when I rehearsed parts for a$$embĀ£ies and meetings I didn't think about how I could make it hypnotic. I just followed the script. However, the tone of the scripted parts lend themselves to a droning of boredom.

There are a lot of boring subjects in the watchtower(R) that just file back to 'do more or die!'.

I remember trying to do some research about Jesus and the apostles....there was very little of interest in the publications apart from WBT$ opinion....nothing of historical interest at all.

I now realise it's probably that these characters never really existed...but hey.......I don't care now.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Our C.O said that meetings were NOT boring. He said if you were bored it was because you are a spiritual mooch. If YOU think they are boring, it's your problem. He then gave a "suggestion" for family heads. He said that if family members don't answer at least once, then they lose their privilege of answering at the next meeting. This was a game that families could play at the meetings.

Are there any words to describe the utter stupidity of that comment??

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Data-Dog

Are there any words to describe the utter stupidity of that comment??

Nor is there enough vomit in the world to sum it up either.

He is just a nauseating company man full of himself.

• DJS
    DJS

I was an MS and elder, and I thought the meetings were mind numblngly boring. I worked to try to make my parts interesting, sometimes with success someimtes probably not. What can you expect? The meetings are basically cut and paste from Brooklyn (or wherever the old men are now). They could just have easily taped the damn things in NY and played it over the intercom. And with each passing year the control increased (which is the primary reason I became disillusioned and began charting my move out of the WT).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit